What's new

a question for induction

Reaction score
Country
i have 2 questions if any1 can help me out :)

1st is i have a induction filter on the spec r with the front mount makin it a nice loud chattering noise :p but mates who have vauxhall turbos say that havin a filter on show(nt in boxed) on the engine doesnt do a turbo any good because after letting off the revs it pushes air back thru the filter making the turbo stop deasd and spin the other way is this true cause i seen alot of spec rs have it on theres and no1s complained yet?

and for the 2nd question when the cars warmed up to normal temp after giving it a gd hard rev it tends to drop below 1000rpm it doesnt stall bt drops low ive had it on my other cars with a filter on show (not in boxed) and was when the car was warmed up and draggin in warm air correct me if im wrong?

whats does every1 think??

Reaction score
Every turbo car makes that noise mate, you just cant hear it when theres an air box in the way!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, having the filter unboxed isnt causing those problems. Revs dropping down low is usually associated with not having a BOV at all, or possibly bad map. As Tom said^^, you will always get some of the flutter noise (which is not chatter - it is more like compressor surge). How much depends which BOV (if any) you have. :)

Reaction score
Country
ye ino every turbo makes that noise without the box etc.

but when its cold it does idle funny but as soon as its warmed right up and got hot air going into the filter it idles a little funny.every other car ive had has been the same.
BOV??

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
check for any leaks in the system after the air flow meter including breather pipework. any leaks can cause a dodgy idle if you are losing or drawing in unmetered air somewhere. this will include checking the bov. what type valve do you have fitted? unless its a re-circ or good twin piston then you're idle will be crap. :)

Reaction score
Country
ye il check later on.but its only when the car is up to temp so im thinkin its jst where theres so much hot air being drawn in thru the filter?
i havent a clue what type valve it is im new to the nissan scene so need to get learnin.
whats BOV?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
bov = blow off valve mate ;) it really shouldnt be the hot air, a turbo engine is intercooled so the temperature of the air on intake isnt so much of a problem with a highly tuned n/a car. maybe have your timing checked too as fast idle can hide timing problems and show them up when its up to temp. also has it been re-mapped with the last owner? has it got aftermarket cams? all stuff that could affect warm idle speed and smoothness.......check the basics first though mate. :)

Reaction score
ye il check later on.but its only when the car is up to temp so im thinkin its jst where theres so much hot air being drawn in thru the filter?
i havent a clue what type valve it is im new to the nissan scene so need to get learnin grammar
whats BOV?
Fixed

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I don't recall anyone complaining of having the revs drop low by fiting a pod type filter before mate, and there are plenty of owners with those filters.. I would look elsewhere for your problem if I was you. :)

Reaction score
Country
bov = blow off valve mate ;) it really shouldnt be the hot air, a turbo engine is intercooled so the temperature of the air on intake isnt so much of a problem with a highly tuned n/a car. maybe have your timing checked too as fast idle can hide timing problems and show them up when its up to temp. also has it been re-mapped with the last owner? has it got aftermarket cams? all stuff that could affect warm idle speed and smoothness.......check the basics first though mate. :)
ahh i see.
it came from sva imports as far as i know it doesnt have aftermarket cams and hasnt been re-mapped maybe i should get it on the rollers and checked over and setup.its not a major problem it doesnt stall or anything bad but obviously it shoudlnt do it.apart from this little problem she is a queen and im very happy with it :) .

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
get the timing checked too - when i got my car from there the timing was seriously retarded causing power loss, det on boost and high egt's....there was no reason for it to have been played with to make it that far out......

Reaction score
Country
you got it from sva too mate?so did you have your timing set up and now shes all good?
det?egt? sorry im new lol

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
there was a bit of a flat spot on boost and idle speed wasnt perfect, on the rolling road it showed serious det on boost (detonation, where the fuel mixture is exploding at the wrong time in the combustion chamber due to a number of factors but in this case, base timing) and this in turn caused the egt (exhaust gas temperatures) to soar way up, which can lead to knackered turbo among other things. jez at horsham developments sorted the timing for me and remapped it along with a boost controller. happy days until the standard turbo got a crack in the exhaust housing.... on the whole the car has been fine but sva arent known as the best importer to use thats for sure.......where abouts are you? kent?

Reaction score
Country
ahh right.well i can safely say there arent any flat spots with mine :) she boosts nice and hard.but only when it is up to tempt and had abit of a thrashing that it can drop now and then not all the time.
maybe it would be a good idea to get the timing looked at then :)
no frome somerset mate
when did you get yours from there?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
2 years ago :) - all in all it has been a very good car though.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
from kent mate, when i say havent had any trouble, its more like nothing that wasnt self inflicted lol. everything mechanical on the car has been sound and nothing actually needed changing, though they may have been changed anyway haha.

Reaction score
Country
haha.ye i have read they are reliable if looked after thats y i got 1 haha.
so yours is all good now then?
u got anys pics of yours?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
got loads, i'll stick a couple here but its your thread so i dont want to clutter it up too much. i'm happiest about the fact the underside is so clean so i should get many years from it touch wood. which is why i tend not to knock sva as much as some others, yep they arent the greatest importer for sure, but they did me alright :) it was basically standard when i got it, so everything thats done i did. :) its really about time i started my own car thread like everyone else does, i'll get round to it soon lol. no recent of the actual outside, but heres a couple

:thumbs: