HKS SSQV Installed: Video + Question

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Folks,

Managed to grab some time this morning and ripped out the Blitz BOV which was welded to the hotpipe - replaced this with OEM black hotpipe. Then continued to remove the OEM re-circ system and replaced this with the SSQV kit I bought from SRB Power :)

However, I didn't get enough time to sort out the adaptor for re-circing the SSQV so she stays vent to atmosphere for the moment *waits for abusive comments lol* :wave:

Here's a sound test vid I took (yes it was late and dark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBnyWOzdkvk

Plenty of pigeon at low boost which is ace :cool:

*However, since I've installed the SSQV, I now get the engine management warning light come on the dash display unit. It's there as soon as I start the car and never goes. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening??

Cheers,

J

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That sounds really good mate :nod:

Is the OEM recirc still in there too?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
mate there is no way you engine management light should be on! check for leaks on the boost pipes also disconnect your battery for a few mins see if that helps!! if not give me a ring and i will come take a look.

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Is there an easy way of geting the fault code from the ECU? I know with Hondas you have to short out a clip and the engine management light does different length flashes which you turn into a number and read the code from that. Is there anything similar for Nissan?

Have you had a look to make sure you havent accidentally knocked or unclipped something James?

S

S15 SILVIA

No pigeons were killed in the making of this film!
Lol
Sounds tidy mate.
I want an S15!!!
:-(

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers fellas :D

Yeah Craig I've ripped out the OEM re-circ so there is no re-circing at all!! Evidence lol:

Can you believe I've been scratching my head ALL AFTERNOON + EVENING thinking why the feck has that stupid engine management light come on since I installed the SSQV. Then I just read your post Craig saying have I not unclipped anything and then finally @ 00:10 it dawned on me... my mind flashed back to when I was sorting out the end cap to block off the OEM re-circ I unplugged one of the harnesses in the plenum area to get more room for my hands!!! FECK!!!

I've highlighted in red the bit I unplugged:

So job's a good un the warning light has now gone... phew!!! THANKS CRAIG and James, fair play for saying you'll come over to help - much appreciated dude :)

Don't I feel like a dumbass...

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i'm sure it didnt like the throttle position sensor being unplugged when you fitted the ssqv - a fail and a win all at once ;) - sounds lovely though james, i'd be so tempted to leave it vta and put up with the haters......

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ah Dean so that's what it is... the thottle position sensor?! :wack:

Cheers fellas - yeah the SSQV sound is really high pitched and very loud!! :D

Soz to ask again but I forget... if I now re-circ the SSQV wouldn't I still get the pigeon at low/no boost?? Seems like the SSQV doesn't open when the load is low down. So surely, the re-circ will just get rid of the high pitched squeal on mid to high boost right??

Nice1 J :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Soz to ask again but I forget... if I now re-circ the SSQV wouldn't I still get the pigeon at low/no boost?? Seems like the SSQV doesn't open when the load is low down. So surely, the re-circ will just get rid of the high pitched squeal on mid to high boost right??
Yeah, thats right mate the pigeon will still be exactly the same. You will still hear the SSQV dump too, but it will be a bit quieter and obviously recic instead. My Forge valve sounds like I've got a budgie stuck under the bonnet when it releases. Kinda like a chirp!! :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks for the info Craig... yeah I think I'm still gonna re-circ then as pigeon is cool to live with but that chirp as you say is starting to get annoying on day 2 lol :wack:

It's like Tweetie Pie on speed!!! :rotfl:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers Jez :)

I've got the older version 2 because they did not have the latest version 3 in stock and I was too impatient to wait lol. I know you get metal internals on version 3 or summat like that but hey, these SSQV's seem to last ok right?! :wack:

Reaction score
Country
Imo that sounds quality as an atmospheric! but i guess it would get annoying on long journeys..

..but it'd be worth it for the short town/city drives :D

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@4ndy_hunt
Sounds good mate, glad you sorted the little problem too.
Bet your neighbours love you now! lol