What's new

Wanna see the difference in upgrading to HID kit for an S15??

Reaction score
Country
Whats the beam pattern like now?

Does it scatter all over the place now with bright parts and dull parts or do the projector lens' prevent this?

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I need to replace the bulbs on my HID's. Haven't really had a look but are they easy to change?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
TBH I've not driven her at night yet lol?! :wack:

From what I can see the pattern looks ok... And the direction is still towards the side of the road as I've walked in front of the car from one side to the other making sure it wasn't gonna blind cars coming the other way.

S15AK - soz no ideas on how I'd change the bulb... didn't really look at this although the wires run straight into the xenon bulb so I'm not sure how one would disconnect the bulb from the wires??

sx-si

Reaction score
HID'S ARE 10X BETTER
used to hate driving a 200sx at night as i had to use full beam just to see where i was going

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, HIDs are ace bits of kit and something I dont want to be without again. I've even put them in my shi**y daily driver too with 4300k bulbs though so they look stock, but if you havent got projector headlights (the glass ball things) they will dazzle other drivers at night.

The projector headlights in S15's should make it so the beam pattern is not altered. There is a way of fitting them that will totally hide the ballast boxes, but you have to remove the front bumper and headlights to do it this way and it includes drilling the hole in the headlight unit rather than the backing cap too.

:)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I should have done! :) I did it on my old S15. Well worth going for the HID'sif anyones thinking about it.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I think i've got the stock HID's but one side is brighter then the other. Can I just buy new bulbs and replace them, or do I need to replace the hole kit? sorry to hijack the thread..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If you have stock hids you can replace the bulbs. If you dont replace them both at once you will get one different to the other like you say. The bulb types are detailed in the 'bulb specs' thread under the 'useful threads' section. Stock temp is 4300k.

www.powerbulbs.com sell the right ones with free worldwide shipping. The bulbs aren't cheap though!

:)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Ok I'll try and explain without use of pics (it's too late and dark to take any lol) :D

Basically in hindsight I should have taken the light units out to fit them properly but with the cold weather and little time on my hands, I just couldn't be ARSED haha so mine is an initial slight botch job which will be corrected at a later point!! But I still managed to get it all up and running without taking lamps out so it proves the job is not that difficult at all.

The low beams are H1 so obviously your HID kit will also be for H1 fitment. The HID kit should come with xenon bulb which wires to the ballast and this then wires to two open spade connectors (on my kit one is red wired and the other is black). So all you have to do is remove the plastic grey cover cap behind the low beam bulb on the car, pull out the two black plastic clips which connect to the current H1 bulb and then remove the bulb itself. Once this is done, you just plug the RED spade connector from the HID kit into the plastic socket with the GREEN wire (from original S15 loom). The connect the BLACK spade connector from the HID kit into the plastic socket with the BLACK wire (also from original S15 loom).

You'll find the OEM plastic socket for the black wire is smaller than the one for the green wire so the HID black spade connector does not push all the way in?! It'll go in a bit but it's not tight so in any case, I've used lots of insulating tape around where the spade connectors have been pushed into the OEM black plastic sockets. Last thing you want is a dodgy connection!! Tom (sliding-r) recommended that I solder these wires but I'll do that at a later point :)

So to recap you should have the following setup once the HID kit is fitted together:

ORIGINAL LOOM (GREEN + BLACK WIRES WITH BLACK PLASTIC SOCKET ENDS) -> HID KIT SPADE CONNECTORS (RED + BLACK) -> BALLAST -> XENON BULB

Stick the xenon bulb in low beam housing and that's it!! Ok to do it properly you need to pull the lights out and tidy away the wires so it uses the hole that had the original loom grommet etc so everything except the ballast is not showing. My version was to let all the wires remain outside of the light housing and then I used loads of insulation tape to put the grey plastic cover back on but with HID kit wires coming out of it to go to/from the ballast there's not a proper seal anymore. Must remember not to drive through torrential rain haha!!!

Oh well, when I have more time...

J

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
OK just found some time this morning to do it properly. Instead on cutting a hole in the lamp unit, I though I'd cut a hole in the grey plastic OEM H1 cover and with the grommet supplied as part of the kit, it all looks nice and flush now :)

BTW - forget what I said about the black spade connector not quite fitting into the black OEM wire loom... it does eventually go in with a very hard push lol ;)

James