What's new

Gearbox leak ??

rudd-o

Reaction score
Today i moved my car and i saw a big black oil spot in the floor under the gearbox.

Does this means that my gearbox needs to be replaced ?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I would be a bit concerned if my gearbox oil was black.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
you need to find out where the oil is coming from mate, maybe pics would help. black oil as said is usually not what you'd expect to see in a gearbox, could be engine oil if it hasnt had a change recently. if your concerned about the gearbox look in the area of the drain and fill plugs on the passenger side, and the very back of the box where the propshaft comes out - could be an oil seal. other than that the only place it could leak from are the silicone sealed joints in the box itself or at worst the input shaft oil seal and leaking into the bellhousing (doubtful)......if its an engine oil leak check the turbo oil feeds and returns, the area around the oil filter, around the sump and plug and down the front of the engine where the belts are as the oil pump cover silicone seal is prone to leaking. then come back and let us know :)

rudd-o

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning i will lift up the car to have a better view of what is going on. The strange thing is that a day before the leak the car brake when I put the 5th gear in motion. All gears are still functioning without any strange noises or any other issue.. only the leak.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country

rudd-o

Reaction score
Thanks for help Dean im going to order it today.

Another strange thing is a strange tick that can be heard from the engine about every 30 seconds when the car is cold... Anyone has any idea what is causing that?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
that could be what is known as vvt rattle or a noisy hydraulic lifter - if its only when cold then its got to be related to oil temperature/viscosity or pressure usually and not a problem unless it gets any worse thats not to say it isnt something else though :)