What's new

Auto V Manual??

Reaction score
Hey, as some of you peeps know, im on the hunt for a new S15....
Just found a nice looking one down where i live for a very good price, only thing is, its a auto, as far as im aware there are no differences in performance etc etc between a auto & manual?? is that correct??
If so i may have to go take a look on the weekend!

Reaction score
There is a difference in performance; The Auto has smaller stock injectors, its heavier and has a viscous diff compared to the helical on the manual

Reaction score
doing a auto to manual conversion is not a big problem, i have been the proud owner of 3 S13',s done more than enough work on them lol

Hmmm, forgot about the diff....yeah that could prove a stumbling block.....and the weight?? is that just from the heavier auto box?

Reaction score
doing a auto to manual conversion is not a big problem, i have been the proud owner of 3 S13',s done more than enough work on them lol

Hmmm, forgot about the diff....yeah that could prove a stumbling block.....and the weight?? is that just from the heavier auto box?
Yes,the auto box is heavier.

The diff in the Auto is a 3.9 compared to 3.69 in the manual.

You will get lively acceleration but you won't have top end speed.

Reaction score
Hmmm...
Im tempted with this auto with the view to do a manual conversion, its SUCH a bargain, but, ive done a couple of box changes before and i know how much of a pita they are!, i would just keep putting it off.......but then, driving a auto S15 would be like commiting a crime....lol

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
surprising the autos are not too bad. I drove one of my mates S15 that was an auto. It was a lot of fun actually. Quite easy to get it to jump off the lights ;)

Reaction score
surprising the autos are not too bad. I drove one of my mates S15 that was an auto. It was a lot of fun actually. Quite easy to get it to jump off the lights ;)
Know that feeling. One good thing with an auto is the less chance its been thrashed or turned back to stock to be sold to an unsuspecting buyer like a manual.

Reaction score
That was my first thought, of course, you can never be sure of how a car has been driven previously, but you would hope auto's are generally less likely to be thrashed!, well, its nearly half the price of a good condition, basic modified manual S15, which is why im interested, i would change the autobox to a manual and still have spent alot less than buying a manual S15 in the first place, just means a bit extra work to put in!!!
Time to arrange a test drive I think!