What's new

A couple of questions

M

MarkC

Im getting an s15 spec r early next year and hopefully you can give me some info on the following questions.

1. does a s15 spec r need to be mapped to run on 95 ron fuel, thats all thats available where i live.

2. How reliable are they?

3. Can the 6 speed gearbox handle much bhp/torque

Mark

Reaction score
1)You can use standard 95 ron on the car without a remap once you arent running huge boost

2) Very reliable once looked after

3) six speed box can handle 350bhp without any issues, the more power you add the more likely you are to have problems. In saying that there are a few cars running 350-400bhp without any problems. Ive done regular drifting, trackdays and a good few dyno runs in the last 3 years and never had a problem with my gearbox to date.

4) Good choice in car ;)

M

MarkC

Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Is yours mapped for 95 ron on standard ecu??

is the engine in the spec r very strong without any bottom end failure??

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah SR's are pretty reliable but guess if you're looking beyond 400 bhp you might be hitting problems with internals plus gearbox weaknesses... Below this kinda horespower it's all good as long as she's looked after with regular servicing and general common sense stuff :)

I've never come across anyone with bottom end issues but as with all engines, if you start to make changes to the head like cams etc without strengthening the bottom end then problems are most likely to occur!!

M

MarkC

Thanks for all the info. I cant wait to get one there is only 95 ron fuel where i live :rolleyes: I will get it mapped for 95+ booster

Reaction score
just get it mapped for 95, its grand. Mine is mapped with a power fc at the moment, its my choice of engine management because im familiar with them. Theres alot of options out there.

Usually the only time youll have bottom end issues is due to too much boost and knock, thats the major killer.

Use good quality fluids in the car to make sure it lasts, i run mobil 1 15w50 along with a sard or powerenterprise oil filter.

Gearbox oil is redline lightweight shockproof and for the diff i use the heavyweight shockproof. Cant fault them at all.

M

MarkC

just get it mapped for 95, its grand. Mine is mapped with a power fc at the moment, its my choice of engine management because im familiar with them. Theres alot of options out there.

Usually the only time youll have bottom end issues is due to too much boost and knock, thats the major killer.

Use good quality fluids in the car to make sure it lasts, i run mobil 1 15w50 along with a sard or powerenterprise oil filter.

Gearbox oil is redline lightweight shockproof and for the diff i use the heavyweight shockproof. Cant fault them at all.
Thanks for that info :thumbs:

Mark