What's new

Newbie, quite a few questions...

G

Giff

Hi, I'm looking to buy a '99-'00 Pearl White Spec R.
Could you tell me:
- Do all S15s have ABS? I plan to run my Racelogic TC.
- What is the favoured aftermarket ECU for Silvias, does anyone run a Megasquirt?
- How do JDM cars cope with the British acid roads, are there any particular areas that suffer the most?
- Do the cars have a knock sensor? I can't find one in the service manual..
- Is there a S14/S15 interchangeability guide?
- Eibach springs, I like them on a road car, anyone run them?
- Who has a child seat in the back?

I'm quite handy with electronics / FI etc so hope I can contribute to the forum.
Cheers,
Giff

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
hello :)

- Do all S15s have ABS? I plan to run my Racelogic TC.
yes

- What is the favoured aftermarket ECU for Silvias, does anyone run a Megasquirt?
power FC in aus

- How do JDM cars cope with the British acid roads, are there any particular areas that suffer the most?
dunno I'm in aus :p

- Do the cars have a knock sensor? I can't find one in the service manual..
yes

- Is there a S14/S15 interchangeability guide?
Think I've seen something float around?

- Eibach springs, I like them on a road car, anyone run them?
not on the s15 but I use to run them and they're a excellent product manufacturer, cold wound, light, equal spring rates (not varying like others)

- Who has a child seat in the back?
not me hehe

Reaction score
All Spec R S15's have ABS
Apexi Power FC is a popular ECU for S15's
They have a knock sensor which is part of the engine management.
Most parts are interchangeable for S14/S15,gear boxes, diffs coil packs stock intercooler and suspensions are some of the differences.
Eibach springs are one of the best

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Welcome to S15OC mate :wave:

Yeah as mentioned Apexi PFC is a very popular tried and tested aftermarket ECU. But owners have also run GReddy eManage and a few other brands without issues...

In terms of interchangeability there's a few things to watch out for:

An aftermarket decat is not the same between an S15 and a UK spec S14/S14a. The lengths are different between the two decats. Also injectors are not the same - the S14 has lower flow capacity as stock compared to the S15 ones.

Some of the things that share the same parts AFAIK are: oil filter, plugs, front/rear brake pads/discs/calipers...

James :)

G

Giff

hello :)
dunno I'm in aus :p
LOL, cheers rub it in.. My wifes trying to persuade me that we should move to Torquay, VIC next year, I had a placement in Melbourne's Childrens Hosp a few years ago so its not unfamiliar territory.

But owners have also run GReddy eManage
I am familiar with the Emanage :) www.giff-tech.co.uk

And thanks for the other replies, I've been running MX5s for the last decade in various forms and need to sell my current '98 JDM Mk2 RS due to the need for more seats and the only car that seems to offer the right package of design, performance and looks is the S15 so I hope to find the right one within the next couple of months

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Welcome dude

Could you tell me:
- Do all S15s have ABS? I plan to run my Racelogic TC. They all have ABS
- What is the favoured aftermarket ECU for Silvias, does anyone run a Megasquirt? Im aware of megasquirt but not impressed by it. Apexi power FC is the most popular.
- How do JDM cars cope with the British acid roads, are there any particular areas that suffer the most? lots and lots of underseal!!
- Do the cars have a knock sensor? I can't find one in the service manual.. nope not that i am aware of but i know the apexi power fc detects knock so it might have?
- Is there a S14/S15 interchangeability guide? should be on here or sxoc
- Eibach springs, I like them on a road car, anyone run them? nope im going for either cusco or HSD
- Who has a child seat in the back? I do!!! it fits fine :D

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah had Graco baby seat in the back for first year of ownership - no probs although belt in the back is much shorted than other 'family' cars so it's pretty tight when attaching straps around the baby seat etc lol...

But booster seat is easy :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have a baby seat in the back of mine. My 2.5 yr old loves it :D I am not too sure how you would go with a baby capusle tho.