What's new

i think im gonna buy this....what u think?

B

barkeenan

Hi guys,
i went up and looked at this 2002 spec r yesterday!
Took some pics, just wanted to see what ye think!
Its only got 64000 kms.
Needs a serious valet but apart from that its mint!
Completely standard apart from the wheels and a bride drivers seat.

Reaction score
did you ask him for a look at the auction sheet? i presume you've heard to be wary of that place

B

barkeenan

Hi, Yeah ive heard some stories alright! i asked about an auction sheet and he said he didnt have one as it was bought from a dealer in Japan.
The car is mint tho - all pannels are perfect - i dont think it ever got a smack! it even has the plastic sump and engine cover underneath. Im gonna get them to put it up on a lift and have a good look underneath plus im getting a good cash deal on it!
Engine sounds good! and it drives even better - box and diff in excellent condition. I just think he is stuck for money.

Im still weary tho as i have heard a few stories about them.

Reaction score
if your getting a good deal get it, if something brakes upgrade it :)
looks nice tho

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, Yeah ive heard some stories alright! i asked about an auction sheet and he said he didnt have one as it was bought from a dealer in Japan.
The car is mint tho - all pannels are perfect - i dont think it ever got a smack! it even has the plastic sump and engine cover underneath. Im gonna get them to put it up on a lift and have a good look underneath plus im getting a good cash deal on it!
Engine sounds good! and it drives even better - box and diff in excellent condition. I just think he is stuck for money.

Im still weary tho as i have heard a few stories about them.
You are right to be!!
Excuse the defamation but he is a prick, once he has your money that is it, i bought my car there, arranged to swop cars at 7 oclock in skerries, claimed it would be fully serviced, all belts would be changed including the timing belt, even though its a chain!! the gear knob and oil pressure gauge cover and 2 centre vents grilles were missing when i viewed the car, he promised they would be sorted when i collected the car,

About 10 mins before i was due to collect it and my insurance expired on my old car he rings to say radio is ****ed, he couldnt get a gear stick and that he never agreed to put the gauge cover on it so the only thing he had done was put 2 center vent grilles it, there is oil spilled around the cap on the rocker cover to make it appear oil was changed, black oil on the dipstick and around the bung no sign of it being opened, no new air or oil filter, front lights werent working on the drivers side, later found out fuse was blown, so i agreed to take the car provided these things would be fixed that saturday, as the insurance was transferred and it was to late to swop it back to my old car. so went up that sat said no mechanics were there (which was false) and not to be wasting my own time and that i had the car, basically telling me were to go. :mad:

I did get an emissions test result sheet though, which i believe is what he uses to cover himself for the nct, essentially he could say the car was perfect when sold and due to long nct waiting lists not keep up his nct guarantee if the car does fail.

Months before i later found out a friend went to look at a legacy and asked for him to look at his euro r as a trade in, he said he wouldnt take it as a trade and called him a stupid cnut for buying it, that nobody wants them.

Apologies for the rant but it looks like a very nice car, and if you're happy its straight go for it:thumbs: but aftercare isnt much:annoyed:

Reaction score
was drivin around dublin lookin at 15's before i bought my own.rang japcars for directions and got a small bit sidetracked on the m50.rang him back for directions and he told me f**k off, gave him a field of abuse before i headed home.went traveling again the weekend after and found what i was looking for.
take your time buying cus cars are gone to nothing money wise and not alone will japcars drop in price but other RELIABLE dealers and private sales will too.best of luck!!!:thumbs:

Last edited:
B

barkeenan

You are right to be!!
Excuse the defamation but he is a prick, once he has your money that is it, i bought my car there, arranged to swop cars at 7 oclock in skerries, claimed it would be fully serviced, all belts would be changed including the timing belt, even though its a chain!! the gear knob and oil pressure gauge cover and 2 centre vents grilles were missing when i viewed the car, he promised they would be sorted when i collected the car,

About 10 mins before i was due to collect it and my insurance expired on my old car he rings to say radio is ****ed, he couldnt get a gear stick and that he never agreed to put the gauge cover on it so the only thing he had done was put 2 center vent grilles it, there is oil spilled around the cap on the rocker cover to make it appear oil was changed, black oil on the dipstick and around the bung no sign of it being opened, no new air or oil filter, front lights werent working on the drivers side, later found out fuse was blown, so i agreed to take the car provided these things would be fixed that saturday, as the insurance was transferred and it was to late to swop it back to my old car. so went up that sat said no mechanics were there (which was false) and not to be wasting my own time and that i had the car, basically telling me were to go. :mad:

I did get an emissions test result sheet though, which i believe is what he uses to cover himself for the nct, essentially he could say the car was perfect when sold and due to long nct waiting lists not keep up his nct guarantee if the car does fail.

Months before i later found out a friend went to look at a legacy and asked for him to look at his euro r as a trade in, he said he wouldnt take it as a trade and called him a stupid cnut for buying it, that nobody wants them.

Apologies for the rant but it looks like a very nice car, and if you're happy its straight go for it:thumbs: but aftercare isnt much:annoyed:
was drivin around dublin lookin at 15's before i bought my own.rang japcars for directions and got a small bit sidetracked on the m50.rang him back for directions and he told me f**k off, gave him a field of abuse before i headed home.went traveling again the weekend after and found what i was looking for.
take your time buying cus cars are gone to nothing money wise and not alone will japcars drop in price but other RELIABLE dealers and private sales will too.best of luck!!!:thumbs:

Well lads - i will agree that he is a chancer!
I went in and he asked me what i thought, i said it was rough - which was the truth as their was mould growing inside and i said that i could buy cleaner for less than what he had it advertised for!
If i was selling a car to somebody i would make sure it was in a presentable condition. He then asked me what i had to spend... i put in a low offer and he said not a chance and closed the bonet and took out the keys.... i said no problem and walked away, he then came running after me saying that he would ring his boss (in japan) (bull****) he then was real pushy about a deposit and if i didnt give him one i was only talking bull****.
Plus the mileage was different toi what was advertised (about 12,000kms less) - i asked him why and he proceeded to tell me that the girl in the office made a mistake... i just smelt a dodgy delboy dealer.
No auction sheet, no history, no anything..

One thing really bugged me - the interior pic in the advert shows 2 standard seats but when i went up there was a bride seat in place of the drivers seat - if he changed seats, what else has he changed??

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I'd steer clear TBH, if he treats potential customers like that then he can't be too pushed with finding and properly maintaining / servicing the cars on his forecourt.... If you're not in a rush I'd advise you to wait for something else to come along, I know you want a young one but you'd be better off buying a 99 that you know is straight and has been looked after than a 2002 which hasn't...

B

barkeenan

I'd steer clear TBH, if he treats potential customers like that then he can't be too pushed with finding and properly maintaining / servicing the cars on his forecourt.... If you're not in a rush I'd advise you to wait for something else to come along, I know you want a young one but you'd be better off buying a 99 that you know is straight and has been looked after than a 2002 which hasn't...
Yeah im gonna hold out for a while and see what pops up!