What's new

Is it me or are S15's floating into the country at a rapid rate of knots now?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
I'm looking to buy at the moment and see a massive difference in prices.
A dealer thats imported a mint full aero kitted spec R is asking ~9K and a mint car thats privately owned and has been in the country (UK) for twelve months are selling* for ~7K.
Thats quite a drop in value for a second hand car and a bit offputting.
It must be something to do with the changes in registering them because some dealers are also advertising new imports for around 8K.

This is also making buying one a lot more difficult because sellers are reluctant to let them go for market value until they've been advertising them for a few months. I also need to buy at market value or I'll have a car that I won't be able to sell in the future.

*I know some are advertised for more but I've been trawling throught the forums and have seen what they've actually sold for.
believe me, if you buy cheap, you will get a pup. a cat c repaired car recently sold for 6k over on sxoc, then after that car was sold the new owner re-sold it for 9k......
you can wait for a car at the 'right' price, but if you are paying too little, there will be something about the car that you wont like unless you're very lucky. i'd still pay 9k if i wanted a good one, s15's seem to be a minefield if you arent careful when buying due to the way some of them have been treated in the past in japan or the uk......

Reaction score
I agree, if a car is being sold cheap then chances are that it isn't the best example around or it could just be that the buyer is desperate for cash due to personal circumstances.

I spent ages looking for a very clean low mileage spec-r and theres not many about as they are so rare, thats why most people like me end up going to an importer and getting one from them. Its like any car, you get what you pay for, pay top money and you will get a great motor, look to spend little and you will get a dog.

I must admit the spec-r is like many other jap sports cars, the prices vary so much, some go for 7k when highly modded jap monsters can go for anything upto 20k+. There will always be that handful of people that will give their cars away when it comes to selling which doesn't do any favours to those owners who know that an S15 is not a car you are going to see on every street corner. With that in mind the S15 can demand a good price if it is a good example.

I always think its best to pay top money for a top motor and chances are that when it comes to selling it hasn't lost a huge amount if you have looked after it. Don't get me wrong there are still bargains to be had out there but that tends to be with sellers who don't know what the true value of their car is.

Looking around at whats on the market at the mo, 8.5 to 10K gets you a clean, low mileage, slightly modded spec-r that has had a good auction grade. Anything below that will have higher mileage, if its as low as 6-7k then be careful and make sure you do every check and ask why is it being sold so cheap if it is not obvious to the eye. Or you could always go for that one that power vehicles have at the mo and pay a fortune.......but its worth it.:cool:

Remember a car will only pull in the money a buyer is prepared to pay for it.:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Ive heard too many horror stories about the repairs the Japs do to cars before auctions on R grades. Obviously even a high graded car has the chance that something may have been replaced at the time but at least it gives the best form of confidence. Its the same with Cat C/D's grading etc in this country, not 100% foolproof but about the best way of being sure without stripping the car to pieces (although Cat grading on imports is pretty pointless as you have no idea if it was in a bad accident abroad without some kind of auction sheet etc).