What's new

advice please

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Hi guys i am new to the site,bought my S15 sunday and have 2 weeks of waiting till i can pick her up :(
So in the mean time i was thinking bout buying some mod's for her,
the car already has an aftermarket exhaust ,suspension,bodykit and alloys.
I was thinking of starting with a front mount intercooler and air intake/induction kit.
What would be your suggestions are these good first mod's???i have never owned a turbo'd car before so any help in getting me started would be much appreciated,plus if you know of any reputable traders and prices for the mods you suggest if you could post these too that would be excellent!!
Thanks guys
Chris

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
if its your first turbo then i'd drive it first, its quicker than you'd think standard and can easily cath you out.....

G

gunner93

I'd replace all lubes and filters. Tighten up IC clamps and use sand paper on grounding points. Keep an open ear on loose nuts on extractor and turbo gasket. Also wheel bearings wear and suspension squeeks. Enjoy. :D

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
For traders you can't go wrong with the below..

(UK based)
Apex Preformance (very freindly, can just ring them up and chat about what you want)
Japspeed
Driftworks

(Jap based)
www.rhdjapan.com
www.perfectrun.jp

I haven't any presonal dealing with the jap based companys, but its what I've picked up reading these forums for a while.

Also I think Horsham Developments are close to you. That's where I'll probably end up taking mine when I need the S15 remapping.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Thanks for the advice guys,will leave it alone for now then get used to the way it drives. My last "toy"before this was an E46 M3 ,so i am used to power and rear wheel drive but as you say the delivery in a turbo will be completely different so good advice to get used to it first before getting carried away modding it!
I will start with some styling bits instead,cheers guys

Thanks for the company links too mate will be sure to try them out in the future ...:)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I'd replace all lubes and filters. Tighten up IC clamps and use sand paper on grounding points. Keep an open ear on loose nuts on extractor and turbo gasket. Also wheel bearings wear and suspension squeeks. Enjoy. :D
I have already asked where i am buying it from to give it a full service plugs ,lubes filters etc so should be all good when i pick her up :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
E46 M3 is a nice car mate but the Silvia will definitely drive completely differently!!

First off, the M3 will be much heavier and the weight distribution AFAIK won't be the same as the S15 either... you really have to watch that back end and feed in the power when it's wet or greasy and winter time is gonna give you those conditions nearly everyday lol :wack:

In the dry, she's very grippy and the helical LSD is awesome but as soon as the rears start to struggle with grip, the relative lightness of the car and near 50/50 weight distribution makes her fantastic for drifting but unless you have lots of space/experience it can catch you out ;)

I'd say before you start serious mods, have her checked out on a power dyno run (should only cost around £60). Get her alignment checked out (again should only be around £60) cos this can make a huge difference to handling. But a nice little Apexi Power Intake air filter wouldn't hurt as a first mod... you'll love the sucking noise hehe :D

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
What the guys said but I would Make sure you have a walbro fuel pump or equivalent etc in her!!, Since the stock fuel pumps are **** and if you want to up the boost its safer and you shouldn’t get any Detonation.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
E46 M3 is a nice car mate but the Silvia will definitely drive completely differently!!

First off, the M3 will be much heavier and the weight distribution AFAIK won't be the same as the S15 either... you really have to watch that back end and feed in the power when it's wet or greasy and winter time is gonna give you those conditions nearly everyday lol :wack:

In the dry, she's very grippy and the helical LSD is awesome but as soon as the rears start to struggle with grip, the relative lightness of the car and near 50/50 weight distribution makes her fantastic for drifting but unless you have lots of space/experience it can catch you out ;)

I'd say before you start serious mods, have her checked out on a power dyno run (should only cost around £60). Get her alignment checked out (again should only be around £60) cos this can make a huge difference to handling. But a nice little Apexi Power Intake air filter wouldn't hurt as a first mod... you'll love the sucking noise hehe :D
Thanks mate,as you say 2 completely different cars so i am best off leaving the SERIOUS ,mods till have gotten used to the driving charecteristics of the car :nod:
Will definately listen to voice of experience on these matters hence why i asked the question before i went ahead with anything!
Will get her checked out as you say and have the allignment balancing etc done,where can i get the suction kit from and roughly how much should i be loking to pay??

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
What the guys said but I would Make sure you have a walbro fuel pump or equivalent etc in her!!, Since the stock fuel pumps are **** and if you want to up the boost its safer and you shouldn’t get any Detonation.
Cheers mate will defo look into this thanks for all the input guys ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
No worries mate - we all start from somewhere and at least you've come from a powerful RWD machine... I got the Silvia after trading in a Mondeo ST200 lol :wack:

But believe me you'll love the 15... great choice and when you're ready to mod that's when the fun goes up another level!! :thumbs:

I think I bought my Apexi cone filter from RHD Japan... they should be in the region of £140 IIRC... but also try UK based retailers like:

Co-ordsport (Kimi who's on this forum works for them and if you quote S15 Owners Club then you should be able to get a discount).
SRB Power - I know the owner called Dan. Nice bloke so worth giving them a call and see how much you can get one for.

Sometimes with cost of delivery and import duty it's not worth just getting a couple of 'smallish' items from Japan although RHD are pretty fast with delivery.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
No worries mate - we all start from somewhere and at least you've come from a powerful RWD machine... I got the Silvia after trading in a Mondeo ST200 lol :wack:

But believe me you'll love the 15... great choice and when you're ready to mod that's when the fun goes up another level!! :thumbs:

I think I bought my Apexi cone filter from RHD Japan... they should be in the region of £140 IIRC... but also try UK based retailers like:

Co-ordsport (Kimi who's on this forum works for them and if you quote S15 Owners Club then you should be able to get a discount).
SRB Power - I know the owner called Dan. Nice bloke so worth giving
them a call and see how much you can get one for.

Sometimes with cost of delivery and import duty it's not worth just getting a couple of 'smallish' items from Japan although RHD are pretty fast with delivery.
S200 thats quite a step up!!!
Brilliant mate ,thanks for the help !!
Gonna be weird driving rear again as got an FN2 civic type R as my daily runnaround,been spending loads moddin that but only so much the front wheels can take lol
See what your saying will try the british companies first.
I just can't wait to pick her up now i am itching to take i out !!!
Also need to get some decent seats any ideas??Was thinking brides but they are ££££
is this the kit??

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/APEXi-Super-Suction-Kit-Normal-MAF-S13-S14-S15-SR20DET-14352

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Wow bet the Silvia will be such a contrast to the FN2!!! :D

I've got Bride Digo Type R which are Bride's cheapest recliners - cost me around £800 in the end for one shipped over from Japan using RHDJapan.

If you get bucket entry level they should be cheaper than the ones I got ;)

Recaros would have been cheaper and preferred option but you might have trouble getting seat rails suited for the S15 with European seat brands etc :wack:

The kit you've posted a link to includes the metal pipe that replaces the stock item plus a few other bits and pieces which is why it's more expensive. If you wanna bling up your bay then that's cool but most people just go for the Apexi Power Intake which only comes with the cone air filter and couple of brackets :thumbs:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
if you plan on tuning the car (see h-dev stage tuning) then it may be worth waiting before buying a filter.....the universal apexi that fits the z32 afm is only 50-00 and the s body one wont fit properly so its something to consider in advance

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
if you plan on tuning the car (see h-dev stage tuning) then it may be worth waiting before buying a filter.....the universal apexi that fits the z32 afm is only 50-00 and the s body one wont fit properly so its something to consider in advance
i do plan on tuning the car,not quite sure to what extent at the mo. Have to sort the interior first really as its a mes,luckily for me i used to trim audi ,bmw and mercs so gonna do it all myself!!
Why will it not fit if tuned ?? is it a question of space in the bay or need of relocation when tuned.?/

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Wow bet the Silvia will be such a contrast to the FN2!!! :D

I've got Bride Digo Type R which are Bride's cheapest recliners - cost me around £800 in the end for one shipped over from Japan using RHDJapan.

If you get bucket entry level they should be cheaper than the ones I got ;)

Recaros would have been cheaper and preferred option but you might have trouble getting seat rails suited for the S15 with European seat brands etc :wack:

The kit you've posted a link to includes the metal pipe that replaces the stock item plus a few other bits and pieces which is why it's more expensive. If you wanna bling up your bay then that's cool but most people just go for the Apexi Power Intake which only comes with the cone air filter and couple of brackets :thumbs:
Yeah mate the silvia is hugely different ,love my FN2 as its set up like a go kart lol really looking forward to having a weekend toy again though!
Just seen bride have 20% off at the mo so may just bite the bullet and put everything else on hold for now,probgo for the recliners be nice to be able to carry passengers still.
Is the apexi the best kit for the car ?or are hks etc any good>? cheers for the help mate :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Dude are you really happy with the seat you got?? just found them through newera parts for £500 each

http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&List=0&ProductID=1109

either them or the brix 11
http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&List=0&ProductID=220

or ergo i dunno

http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&List=0&ProductID=221

i assume the shipping cost will bump the price up!!

the main reason i want to change the seats i s i am very tall 6"6 and my knees almost touch the steering wheel so wanted some seat that sat a bit lower in the car to give me some extra room,dont wanna get some seats that look nice but i am stil sat high up,pretty sure the prob should be sorted with these as apparently their runners sit 20 mm lower anyways,any ideas which would be the best seats for me to go for ??

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
have a look at the following link

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index.php?cPath=42_47&osCsid=3e81ffccbd85e15cc82d84983a370c9e

this will help you decide on what power you want and the mods you'll need to get it. the apexi filter for the s15 maf has a different bolt pattern than the z32 one, and if youre planning on going above 310ish bhp you may as well wait and get the z32. the only other thing to consider is an ecu that uses a map sensor such as the d-jetro powerfc but in this case you'd need to alter or fabricate some pipework and fit any filter that fits and remember that its a lore expensive option....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
have a look at the following link

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index.php?cPath=42_47&osCsid=3e81ffccbd85e15cc82d84983a370c9e

this will help you decide on what power you want and the mods you'll need to get it. the apexi filter for the s15 maf has a different bolt pattern than the z32 one, and if youre planning on going above 310ish bhp you may as well wait and get the z32. the only other thing to consider is an ecu that uses a map sensor such as the d-jetro powerfc but in this case you'd need to alter or fabricate some pipework and fit any filter that fits and remember that its a lore expensive option....
Thanks for that mate,think i may pop in there when i get my car to get the wheel allignment done,then i can have a proper chat to them to draw up a plan of action :thumbs:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Dude are you really happy with the seat you got?? just found them through newera parts for £500 each

http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&List=0&ProductID=1109

either them or the brix 11
http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&List=0&ProductID=220

or ergo i dunno

http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=68&List=0&ProductID=221

i assume the shipping cost will bump the price up!!

the main reason i want to change the seats i s i am very tall 6"6 and my knees almost touch the steering wheel so wanted some seat that sat a bit lower in the car to give me some extra room,dont wanna get some seats that look nice but i am stil sat high up,pretty sure the prob should be sorted with these as apparently their runners sit 20 mm lower anyways,any ideas which would be the best seats for me to go for ??
I'm really happy with the Bride Digo Type R mate although I'm small 5' 6" so with the big side bolsters, I'm already struggling to get my thigh's between the top of bolsters and steering wheel which is also slightly smaller cos it's an aftermarket item lol!! I've got stocky build so my thighs are a bit bigger than other peoples' haha :p

I'd say if you're worried about being tall and hitting your head on the roof then you gotta look at Bride's Low Max range :thumbs:

Yeah the Digo's aren't expensive in comparison to other seats they do but you'll have to add on a bit for EMS shipping (air freight) and then there's import duty etc which is pretty unavoidable these days :mad: