What's new

Import help!

S

S15 SILVIA

Hi.
I'm a new member to the site (been nosing on here as a non member for a while) and am very interested in joining the s15 team. Fancied one for a couple of years now, and I've finally managed to save some money up to make my purchase.
I've seen a couple I like on the 'trade car view' website, and wondered if there were any importers in uk anyone would recommend to help me through the importing and regestering business needed to get it road legal and on the road.
I'm looking at a 2002 model in japan. Any idea how much I should be expecting to pay to get the car Checked over, shipped over and road registered etc.
What work will generally need doing to pass Uk tests? Fog light, speedo change etc
I live in mid Wales, uk.
Regards Mike

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
You wont get a 2001/2 spec legal here mate - No UK Model reports for it, so it'll be a 99/00 you'll have to settle for.

So if you go for a 99 spec all you'll need is an MOT, If its a 2000 spec it'll need to be SVA'd. Alas.. im not 100% ifs still SVA or that other thing now... tbh, youd be better getting one through torque.. unless your 100% confident in who your buying it from, as if your not.. then you wont no whats away to land on your door step.....

S

S15 SILVIA

Cheers mint.
I know there's been a lot changes recently regarding importing. Changes from sva to iva or something! Thought you could import newer than 2000 cars, torque have got a 2002 model for sale on their site, so thought it was ok. Any ideas what companys like torque charge for their services?
Was gonna give em a bell, but was interested if there were any other companies recommended, and their charges?
Many thanks!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
hmm as far as s15's go in the UK, Id be willing to go out a limb here and say no one can beat Torque. So many of today's 15's are from them so they know their thing.

Surprising they have 02's for sale, must be a report out Im not aware of.. hmm, best to give Tristan a shout and mention we sent you :)

S

S15 SILVIA

Yeh will do cheers mate, give em a bell tomorrow.
Did notice sva imports got a couple of 2001, and 2002s in stock now too, but don't fancy the journey to them, and they ain't the most helpful bunch!
Hopefully get a better understanding of the costs and new rules if I speak to torque.
Cheers again Mike

Reaction score
you can import a 2002, i have been talking to mike from torque for awhile now.
an they aren't in the higher tax bracket anymore so a bonus.
the rules change in april :)
i am also looking at importing a 2002, i have also seen a 2003 is that right???

S

S15 SILVIA

Ahh, good good
Had a feeling the tax would be £405 on the newer ones tho? Be better if it was the cheaper porice tho!
I think it all depends on what mood the gov are in when its sent over!
Cheers all for the help by the way.
Mike

Reaction score
Country
you can import a 2002, i have been talking to mike from torque for awhile now.
an they aren't in the higher tax bracket anymore so a bonus.
the rules change in april :)
i am also looking at importing a 2002, i have also seen a 2003 is that right???
How are they excluded from the newer tax bracket ? Surely they have an emissions model report still so the data is available for them to be taxed as required for a post march 2006 registered vehicle. It may be just down to luck that some cars get away with PLG taxation.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
it used to be, I cant see how its changed?

also as for white ones being rare :p lol, that is soooo far off the mark dude! Iv been on the auctions non stop for about 3 weeks now checking out for my next car and the sheer amount of white s15's is scary!!! More common than EK9's in Japan !! For example last wednesday i think it was, I came across about 20 white s15's, around 11 pewter ones, 2 blue ones and a resprayed green one!! There just not as common here 'yet'

Last edited:
S

S15 SILVIA

it used to be, I cant see how its changed?

also as for white ones being rare :p lol, that is soooo far off the mark dude! Iv been on the auctions non stop for about 3 weeks now checking out for my next car and the sheer amount of white s15's is scary!!! More common than EK9's in Japan !! For example last wednesday i think it was, I came across about 20 white s15's, around 11 pewter ones, 2 blue ones and a resprayed green one!! There just not as common here 'yet'
Mint man, I was jokin! Lol.
Know the whites are common as muck!
Just like the pearly White ones!
You don't see many yellow or reds tho!

Reaction score
Country
This is who I used to buy mine
http://japaneseusedcars.com/auction/auctions.htm
I was very impressed with their service, and they carefully checked the cars before they bid on them for you. Quite a few I wanted to bid on were rejected by them because of rust or other things not on the auction sheet, and some of them were supposed to be grade 4!
Save paying a middle man in the UK.
Mine's going on the ship this Friday and should be here mid December, I can't wait :)

Reaction score
Country
This is who I used to buy mine
http://japaneseusedcars.com/auction/auctions.htm
I was very impressed with their service, and they carefully checked the cars before they bid on them for you. Quite a few I wanted to bid on were rejected by them because of rust or other things not on the auction sheet, and some of them were supposed to be grade 4!
Save paying a middle man in the UK.
Mine's going on the ship this Friday and should be here mid December, I can't wait :)
man, that's funny! their office is the next train stop over from me! i've never dealt with them before so i can't vouch for them, but it sounds like they hooked you up pretty good!

when i got my s15, i went through a guy named Colin Shea, director of Tokyo Auto Trading. He's actually from the uk. great guy and personal friend!

Reaction score
How are they excluded from the newer tax bracket ? Surely they have an emissions model report still so the data is available for them to be taxed as required for a post march 2006 registered vehicle. It may be just down to luck that some cars get away with PLG taxation.
yeah maybe, but i have been in contact with them for a while and they are sure all s15's even 2002 will be in the PLG bracket. they have a 2002 coming into the UK soon so i will ask again once that is registered.

Reaction score
Country
Im going to have to write a formal letter to VOSA & the DVLA as they have such huge discrepencies. Either all vehicles registered post march 2006 are PLG or emission banding for taxation. It would be no different if some people who purchased a house between March 2006 and April 2009 had to pay double Council tax! It just wouldnt stand as its a miss-administration of taxation bordering on being fraudulant. Ill just keep writing the letters if need be to the transport minister, every party including the BNP if need be just until someone listens and raises the question.

S

S15 SILVIA

Does seem to be a bit messed up really the tax prices on s15's. How they actually work out what tax band they should be in. As far as I was concerned, anything older than 2006 had the old fashioned plg tax band, but i noticed that some on here are paying £405! Bit much I think for an s15 me thinks!
I think a poll should be started in another thread saying:
what year their s15 was produced,
when it was imported,
and how much tax their paying!

I know I'm new on here, and don't actually own an s15 yet, but this might actually change my mind as to what age group car I should be looking at getting £200 difference is quite a bit come that dreaded time.

Cheers all for your posts
mike

Reaction score
Country
Its down to age of first registration in the UK so doesnt matter when vehicle was made. Appears now though that cars tested under the IVA fall under PLG. That means most cars imported between March 2006 - April 2009 will pay £405 a year car tax and anything else half that. Not sure how they think people will stand for paying more than double than others for exact same car and even older in some cases ????