What's new

S15 Coilovers - Need Reviews

S

S1Five

to all felllow S15 owners just wanted to ask the following question:

Which brand/model you using and whats the spring rate front and rear?
How do you find it on the road/bumpy/harsh?
Do you track it and how do you find it on the track?

Lastly it be great if someone is using HKS HiperMAX II and Tein FLex as these are two im looking into

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I have Apex Performance coilovers, which are the same as the Megan Racing ones. I opted for 6/4 spring rate which is quite acceptable with the damper set towards soft. Having a soft damper setting allows more roll, so you have to find a balance between hard and soft which suits you needs (and dental insurance). I had mine set to full hard for the first time at a sprint day on Friday. The roll had vanished and the handling was phenomenal. However, I'd point out that I also have anit-roll bars (anti-sway) and additional alignment components. Every day driving with full hard is not a good idea :no: I found the car bouncing over every road imperfection. Going to try it halfway to see what its like...

D

Derek

I've JIC coilovers very complicated yokes. I'd reccomend them but i've one damaged on my car but the other 3 are fine...

K

kieran

pretty much the same as nicley, done about 10k on them now and still fine, still clean up like new and not too harsh when on soft, excellent on track too :wave:

Reaction score
I have the Tein Flex installed in my S15. I find them great for a s15 as they are not too harsh on the street and offer enough compliance on the track to allow you to run quite quick times at the track. I have the model with the pillowball uppermounts as I have the EDFC which I think is a god send as I don't need to move from my drivers seat to make adjustments to the dampening of the shock.

FYI - i know several S15's with Tein Flex installed that run sub 1:10's at wakefield and run 50's on the oran park south circuit.

S

S1Five

how much did you paid for the tein flex? and what spring rates did you get for them

hehe that is exactly why i wanna get tein flex because of the edfc

- thx for all your feedback so far, keep em coming! :thumbs:

Reaction score
The standard spring rates for the flex are 5kg Fronts/4kg Rears and in my opinion you don't need to go any harder unless you want to get into serious drifting. I know of one such S15 that was running 8kg/9kg coilovers and when he changed to the 5kg/4kg Flex, he dropped at least a second off his times at wakefield park.

As for the price, I paid trade price for my ones almost 2 years ago, and they cost me $2400. I think they retail for about $3000 with the pillowball uppermounts. Give Fulcrum a call as they are the Australian distributors for them now.

Dale

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Just as a reference (cos they'll probably cost a fortune to ship from the UK), the Apex coilovers that have been mentioned are 32 way adjustable, with pillowball mounts and are about AU$1320. And we get ripped-off on parts prices...

S

silvias15

I got Tein flex and they're quite good for street. Not too hard or too soft, which makes it quite comfortable on bumpy roads.
But mine clunks when going over bumps and I've heard of a few other S15's with the same problem. Don't know whether it's due to improper installation (which i doubt as I took it back twice to get it refitted while i watched) or I just got a lemon :mad: Bought them new and only started after about 3000kms of driving.

dcoghlan said:
I have the Tein Flex installed in my S15. I find them great for a s15 as they are not too harsh on the street and offer enough compliance on the track to allow you to run quite quick times at the track. I have the model with the pillowball uppermounts as I have the EDFC which I think is a god send as I don't need to move from my drivers seat to make adjustments to the dampening of the shock.

FYI - i know several S15's with Tein Flex installed that run sub 1:10's at wakefield and run 50's on the oran park south circuit.
dcoghlan - is yours noisey and clunks when going over bumps?

K

kieran

does the knocking come from the rear? if so there maybe a solution :nod:

D

Derek

My Jic's are banging.. On one side only.. Thinking of changing them for the apex ones.. I failed the nationla car test 2day cos of them and i must have it fixed within a month.

S

silvias15

kieran said:
Oh MY GOD!!! :eek: if there's a solution u HAVE to tell me what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It drives me insane at times! and yes, it's from the rear.
TELL ME, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
silvias15 said:
kieran said:
Oh MY GOD!!! :eek: if there's a solution u HAVE to tell me what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LH rear?

S

silvias15

Nicely said:
silvias15 said:
kieran said:
LH rear?
hmmm, i think both of them.....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
A supplier is investigating the clonking known to occur on a large number of the same brand. Generally the same coilover (LH rear). He has a coilover known to suffer and will be performing a number of tests to try to duplicate the problem, them trace it. I'm suspecting that it to do with fitment and setup, as there are no definitive instruction on how it should be done...

Will keep you posted.

S

silvias15

Nicely said:
A supplier is investigating the clonking known to occur on a large number of the same brand. Generally the same coilover (LH rear). He has a coilover known to suffer and will be performing a number of tests to try to duplicate the problem, them trace it. I'm suspecting that it to do with fitment and setup, as there are no definitive instruction on how it should be done...

Will keep you posted.
hmmm ok then. seems like a few other brands of coilovers have the same problem on different cars.

ok great, hope to find out what the actual problem is.

thanks!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I havent added to this yet :rolleyes:

I have Tein HA's (no long in preduction) They are, i'm told 7/5, they ride quite good, have damper adjustment, although i have never adjusted it since i got it and pillowball top mounts at the front.

Not much point in me going into it further as you prob wont be getting them anyway. :)