What's new

S15 Coilovers - Need Reviews

Reaction score
silvias15 said:
I got Tein flex and they're quite good for street. Not too hard or too soft, which makes it quite comfortable on bumpy roads.
But mine clunks when going over bumps and I've heard of a few other S15's with the same problem. Don't know whether it's due to improper installation (which i doubt as I took it back twice to get it refitted while i watched) or I just got a lemon :mad: Bought them new and only started after about 3000kms of driving.

dcoghlan said:
I have the Tein Flex installed in my S15. I find them great for a s15 as they are not too harsh on the street and offer enough compliance on the track to allow you to run quite quick times at the track. I have the model with the pillowball uppermounts as I have the EDFC which I think is a god send as I don't need to move from my drivers seat to make adjustments to the dampening of the shock.

FYI - i know several S15's with Tein Flex installed that run sub 1:10's at wakefield and run 50's on the oran park south circuit.
dcoghlan - is yours noisey and clunks when going over bumps?
Funny you say that, cause I took my car out for a drive around my carpark (don't have a license, so I can't drive it on the street) and my front left strut was making a terrible clunking noise when it hit a bump. So I found that the top of the strut had come loose. This is the second time it has come loose on my on the same strut, so I just tightened it up and its all fixed. To tighten it, you need a 21mm spanner and the C-Spanner to hold the underside. Its kinda hard to explain, so if you want, pm me and i'll take some pics of how to do it.

Reaction score

http://www.prostreetonline.com/images/promo/teinflex3.jpg

OK I found a pic which will help you understand what you need to check.

In the pic you'll see 2 red circles I have drawn. This pic is of the front strut, but these instructions apply to both the front and rear struts.

Basically what you should be doin is using the Tein C Spanner to hold the locking plate which is the botton circle so that the strut doesn't turn. Then using your spanner, tighten the top nut. This brings the two sections together tightly (as indicated by the arrow) and stops the clunking metal on metal bangin noise when you hit a bump.

I know that the Flex come loosly assembled from the factory so if you didn't tighten these up before hand, then you definatley need to do it. I know I have to check mine every 6-12 months just to make sure that they don't come loose again.

S

silvias15

dcoghlan - thank you sooooo much for your help. :notworthy: I'll give that a try in the next few weeks.

Nicely - funny u should mention that cos i've never bothered check that, but i'll give a go as well.

thanks guys.

Reaction score
I'm running HKS Hyper Max D's - 10kg front, 8kg rear. If you run over an ant's leg, you will hit your head on the frigg1n roof! Harsh? - why yes they are. Do they handle - better believe it! On the track, they're are the bisso - combined with my strut braces and room bar - the car handles very well. I'm yet to delve into driftin but from my past unplanned episodes, the car drifts well. As the name implies, they are designed for drift. The Hyper Max 2's or Pro's may be more suitable for a daily all rounder. My silvia is a toy car, if it were my daily driver, the suspension would give me the sh1ts. Does anyone know the standard suspension's spring rate? I've heard it's a rediculous 3.7kg or something in the front? I would suggest going for the spring rates the others have suggested - 10/8 is definitely not for those wanting a smooth ride.