What's new

Gearbox not happy!!

Reaction score
Well I have had a horrible noise coming from the clutch / gearbox for a little while now, I assumed it was the clutch I had in it but wanted to check because I thought it was getting worse.

Put it on a ramp whilst someone was underneath and made it make the noise (engaged a gear) and found the noise wasnt coming from the clutch it was coming from the gearbox itself! :furious:

My Dad spoke to his mate who rebuilds boxes and Ive taken it to him to see what he can do. I know rebuilding it isnt the best option but there arent many other options out there and hopefully I will get it done for quite cheap!

I will also ask him to do the 4th gear circlip whilst its out... does anyone know where that pic kind of explaining it is Ive had a search cant really find anything.

And I had an RR day on Sat :(

Cheers

Edit:

Found it I think... is the RED circlip in this link the correct one?

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=2214&highlight=gearbox+circlip

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i think i heard that the circlip on 6th is prone to similar issues mate, its worth noting that whilst a little rattly now for a long time, my gearbox has carried on working faultlessly for over a year.......what power are you putting through it?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Fixing the circlip prevents the issue. If it's already sounding like a bag of spanners, damage may have already been done :(

Reaction score
i think i heard that the circlip on 6th is prone to similar issues mate, its worth noting that whilst a little rattly now for a long time, my gearbox has carried on working faultlessly for over a year.......what power are you putting through it?

Ok mate, ill mention it to him thanks. I think my gearbox is a little different, mine doesnt make any noise whilst in gear. It's only when I engage gear and mainly only in 1st. It drives fine just gives a horrible noise when engaging!

Fixing the circlip prevents the issue. If it's already sounding like a bag of spanners, damage may have already been done :(

I hope there hasnt been too much damage done, the car did drive fine before I removed the gearbox. Does it still sound like the circlip even though the symptoms are different?

I should know whats going on in a couple of hours so fingers crossed!!

Reaction score
hope you get it fixed dude! once its done your going to need to test it out ;)

see these nissan bloody 6 speed boxes (you can't just ram 6 gears in a 5 speed gearbox and hope ev will be ok) lol

Reaction score
Cheers mate! The bloke didnt get time to look at it today so will hopefully give me some news tomorrow (thats what you get when its a favour!) :p lol

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
The output shaft bearing is fooked on my box but should be puting the spare on next week hopefully. Seems to me that there are lots of weaknesses within the box, not just the circlip that people mention.

What are the symptoms of circlip failure? Are there any warnings or is it sudden?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
mine is input shaft...noisy. 1st and second are noisy too (sychro's) but alls working well...

T

tmus

i get a lot of drive train noise as well when take clutch take up and disengage.

but no whining or rattling while in gear.

so i've just accepted it, oh changed the oil today and much smoother gearchange

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
...see these nissan bloody 6 speed boxes (you can't just ram 6 gears in a 5 speed gearbox and hope ev will be ok) lol

just to clear things up a little, the 6 gears are not "rammed into a 5 speed case" - the whole design of the 6 speed gearbox is different. It's not like they made the original 5 gears thinner so they can fit in a 6th gear it doesn't work like that :)

And... if you treat ANY gearbox like crap it'll turn to crap, it'll work but it'll feel and sound like crap. And then add 50% to 100% more power/torque through a relatively small gearbox and you'll start to break stuff :(

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
This is true ^^^ It's still a tight fit in the 6MT case though. I keep saying that just as many 5MTs break, but no-one every seems to notice that.

Any news on the box?

Reaction score
Yeah, had the box stripped and the man said there's nothing wrong with it at all! Infact it was one of the best boxes he had seen stripped down.. almost no shavings, nice looking oil and all components perfect! When he was putting it back together he said he will inspect each part thoroughly just incase... but found nothing!

I also printed a picture off of here showing the circlip that needed to be looked into and apparently it had allready been modified in a different way, so im not sure what has happened there... maybe the previous owner had it go and then got the box rebuilt and modified!

So any way we're not sure what has caused the noise but the flywheel has got really hot and left horrible marks on it, and the clutch plate has started to brake away at the edge of each 'paddle' so it is going back to Exedy for inspection. and if that isnt faulty i really dont know where to go next?? However I cant see it being right.. the car is standard power, no track / drift and its only been on 5 months! :(

Any ideas guys?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Maybe the LSD? The LSD in my last car died and that was grinding a lot which at first we thought was the gearbox or the clutch throw bearing. When we stripped the diff down the pinion had been moving into the gears and had taken chips of metal off the end of the pinion and then made a nice mess of everything else in there. Not sure what could have caused it as it had only done 18k miles from new but maybe worth a look?

Reaction score
Ok thanks mate, ill bare that in mind! the only thing is that when it was on the ramp the noise was coming from the back of the box but maybe the noise is traveling because its deffinately NOT the gearbox!! Ill check it out :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Yeah it was the same for me, we had it up in the air rolling in first gear and it sounded like it was coming from the box area. Sound was travelling down the prop. If it is the diff then good excuse to go for a 2way :D

Reaction score
Awesome! well that sounds exactly like my problem!! It might be a coincidence but i had a problem with the diff not locking the other day! :confused:

Im not sure how that explains it not going into 2nd sometimes though?

Reaction score
Country
Yeah mine stopped locking too, just replaced it with a 2nd hand one off ebay which i got cheap :). No idea about the 2nd gear thing though sorry

Reaction score
Ok thanks mate! thats a great thing to look at I didnt have any other options before now so thanks :D