What's new

Peeps of S15oc What would you do?

Reaction score
Guys i really want your thoughts on this. I was looking to get the engine rebuilt and forged and now im kinda thinking of going a bit over board.

I'm contemplating spending another £8427 quid on my s15.

What do you reckon the car will be worth when it's done?

This will be the spec im aiming for:-

Engine/drivetrain

Fully rebuild sr22det lump built by DB power inc:
Stroker kit (crank, rods and pistons)
Hks Liners
Acl race mains bearings
Acl race big end bearings
Cometic head gasket
Apex bling high flow plenum
Arp head bolts
Arp main bolts
All new genuine nissan gaskets
new oil pump
new water pump
big baffled oil pan
Hks 256 inlet camshaft
Hks 256 exhaust Camshaft
Greddy rocker arms stoppers
Z32 afm and plug
big injectors to suit 450 bhp
450bhp tubby
stainless top mount manifold
external waste gate
braided turbo lines
stainless elbow
japspeed 3" full through system and 3" downpipe
alloy rad
silicone hoses
Japspeed FMIC and piping
Apexi filter
Power steering pump oil cooler
Exedy hyper single clutch and fly
braided clutch line
cusco 2way LSD
mines ecu
Slimline battery
Iridium plugs

body

dmax type1 bodykit (epracing)
srb 25mm front overfenders
18" work emotion xd9's 10jj et+18
carbon bonnet
uprated arb's front and rear
brand new coilovers (apec gen2's or hsd's)
poly bushed
full DW alignment arms
tein rods and ends
flush fit bonnet pins
toad cat1 alarm
sparco steering wheel and boss
300zx front and rear brakes
braided brake lines
Japspeed roof level carbon super wide wing
Yashio factory rear lights
Full respray and bodywork done
Arches rolled

interior

Carbon gear surround
bride driver seat and rail
passenger bucket and rail
luke harnesses 3" strap (driver and passenger)
drift knob
Hydro handbrake and braided lines
Blitz SBC id and power meter id
omori 60mm Boost gauge

the car was a spec S but has been converted to better than a spec R. It has the spec R tinited rear quarter windows also. Will retain the 5 speed gearbox.

what's it worth?

My current spec is this:

Engine/drivetrain

sr20det
mines ecu
hks induction kit
FMic and piping
Slimline battery
T28R
exedy hypersingle clutch and flywheel
ORC braided clutch line
braided turbo lines
Japspeed 3" cat back and 3" downpipe
2 grades Colder plugs
5 speed box
cusco 2way LSD

Body

dmax type1 bodykit (epracing)
srb 25mm front overfenders
18" work emotion xd9's 10jj et+18
Apex gen one coilovers with brand new rear dampers (adj camber and height)
Adjustable camber arms
JIC track rod ends
toad cat1 alarm
Full respray and bodywork done
Arches rolled
Duck tail spoiler

interior

Carbon gear surround
bride driver seat and rail
passenger bucket and rail
luke harnesses 3" strap (driver and passenger)
drift knob
Blitz SBC id and power meter id
omori 60mm Boost gauge

i just want to know in the long run will it be worth me shelling out this kind of dosh and the car not be worth that much when it's done. I know you always loose when modifying a car but just want to know your thoughts.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I'm afraid you wont get back anywhere near what you spend on it, that's just the way with modifying cars. Also are you planning on changing the gearbox every 6 months as I dont see an uprated one in your list ? If it was me I would spend the money towards an R34 GTR and sell the S15 if it's lots more power you want bit that's just me. Can't say I wouldn't love an S15 in that spec but I couldn't personally justify spending that amount in 1 lump sum.

Reaction score
Yea i know what you mean

i Love the s15's i really do but so many things are going through my mins as to how i can achieve around 450 - 500bhp. Was contemplating having a rb26 lump dropped in but after reading evilchaps thread i don't fancy the hastle he has had but could be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run!

i'm not a big fan of the r34's i mean they are nice cars but much prefer the s15 shape.

wouldn't mind a r35 gtr but i don't plan on saving for the next 3 - 4 years tbh

i just don't know what to do

won't the gearbox handle 450 bhp then?

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
That's a big spec!

What about selling yours and put it towards another Jap import? Have you looked about in Japan for a heavy spec'd S15, might be cheaper to import another one that's had a lot of engine work done already, let someone else take the hit on the mods :)

Just a thought...

Reaction score
That's a big spec!

What about selling yours and put it towards another Jap import? Have you looked about in Japan for a heavy spec'd S15, might be cheaper to import another one that's had a lot of engine work done already, let someone else take the hit on the mods :)

Just a thought...
Yea i thought about that as well but i don;t know what the new rules are regarding importing a s15 fully modified. Im sure i heard that the 10 yr rule has been scrapped now and you need a sva which means the car has to be stock?

Also i imported a s14a silvia from abroad and never again. I waited 6 months without a car, didn't even think i was going to be getting the car and then when it came over it looked like it had a bump when i took the rear bumper off. It wasn;t how it was described. Bodywork was tatty. Also cost about 1500 on shipping, Vat, tax import duty etc.

so had a bad experience last time so i don't think i would do it again tbh

thanks for the suggestion though

Reaction score
go for it if you want something alittle different, but you will never get your money back on this. may add around £2,000 to the asking price if you where to sell it.
i would rather put that power into a 4wd car to be honest

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
have you considered the v8 conversion thats becoming commonplace on s13's and s14's now? people are sourcing low mileage ls2 engines with its own 6spd manual that will not break, and the conversion has now been carried out succesfully on a few cars that are running around. 380bhp standard (up to 500 with a cam change) and masses of torque. no nasty paddle clutches, no turbos - just grunt. if i were to do an engine conversion, this is the only one i'd now consider. it would upset the purists but a v8 s15 would be very special indeed:nod: being all alloy it wouldnt upset the handling too much either, despite being a v8 its a short block, shorter than the sr and fits nicely pushed back to the bulkhead without having to chop the engine bay at all.

i have set myself a (fairly reasonable) limit with my car - set yourself one. think of what it would cost you to turn it into your dream car then think of what other car you could of got for that money. if you'd rather the other car then sell, but bear in mind its a lot easier to build a dream car over time with money you have spare than to buy something thats expensive in the first place. i think by the time i finish mine i could of bought an r34 gtr but that cost would only cover buying the car, then it would be back to modding again and before you know it you've spent even more.

thanks to jez8553 for putting me onto the s15 in the first place, its now become a bit of an obsession. but despite having a funny five minutes where i was going to pack jap cars in altogether, i now know i wouldnt want any other - this WILL be the last, i may keep it forever but IF i get rid, it will be to pack in modifying completely.

Reaction score
Always set yourself a limit to what you are after from your motor. Loads of Hp is great but a complete waste of time if it isnt set up right to plant it onto the road. Usually alot of issues come with alot of hp unless you spend a fortune. I went down the route of a 750hp Skyline but found there was no place to use it, it blew gearboxes for fun and my left leg felt like it was going to break everytime I was on clutch control.lol

Where as the Scoob I have just sold had 372hp and it would of p**sed all over the GTR on our UK roads, were we dont get a straight line for anymore than a few hundred yards, it was built to use every bit of its power with no lag and a fantastic chassis set up.

I have now gone down the route of the S15 and looking to set the car up right for our road, great handling, no lag and plenty enough power to put a smile on my face. If done right and done to a high standard then there is no reason to take a huge hit on your car when you come to sell, just choose the right mods to give you what you are after. If you are after massive power that you rarely get chance to use then "yes" you will be out of pocket when it comes to selling the car on......big power = big expense = huge loss on future values unless you break for parts;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments guys, after taking in all your comments im still going to go for a rebuild SR lump but maybe something more reasonable. Defo not getting a stocker kit now. Maybe i can buy an engine that someone has already spend a fortune on and is selling but loosing out :)

like you said i have to consider where i will get the power down on the roads if i went for stupid power. The s15 is more of a drift car tbh as im trying to attend one drifty day once a month.

I'm going to aim for 350 - 400 bhp (i want a engine that is build for more but can safely run this all day long)

I was looking at this what do you rekon?

Price is 2k

ENGINE SPEC
The head setup has been proven to run 9000rpm.

Apexi MHG 1.8mm
Eagle Rods
ARP head and main studs (all threads chased before being torqued)
New crank from Nissan (yes I mean new as in never used in another car!!!!!)
ACL race bearings (rods and crank)
All balanced both static and dynamic by local Le Mans engineer
Tomie solid lifters (shimmed to 4 thou, this is a huge job!!!!)
BC Ti Retainers
Supertech Valves (best money can buy, black nitrited and Inconel) 3 angle cut
Not a full port and polish but polished exhaust ports, lip removed from valve seats, all casting marks removed, polished combustion chamber etc
BC springs
new Phos bronze guides
260 Tomei cams (solid)
VVT retaind for low end grunt but can easily be replaced for variable gear for c£100
New rockers (cut back for solid conversion)
CP pistons and rings (.5mm over bore)
All new gaskets, seals, chain, guide, tensioner, oil pump, decked block etc etc

as for setting a limit for the car i haven't really got one so will just plod on buying bits here and there.

As for the spec of the engine and the price what would you guys say?