What's new

Takata Harnesses Genuines or Fakes?

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
Been looking for a set of the long type Takata Harnesses and it winds me up to know that there are fakes out there to ruin the brand and safety of the product, as being bewary to know if you are buying genuine or fakes! :furious:.

I have been in touch with Takata USA and they have said to me that "At this moment in time we are unable to sell the product outside of the USA." What! Is this to further stop the copying of them so Twain/China can't purchase them?

I have found a few on ebay that look to be reasonable prices and would like to know your thoughts as to if they are genuine or fake considering Takata USA have them advertised at $400 each! I don't want to be risking my safety at the end of the day and tarnish the brand of the product! Please let me know your thoughts?

Ones available in the UK:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Takata-4-Poin...s_SM?hash=item1e583fcf7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

USA:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taka...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thailand;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Japan:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any help would be appriciated. :thumbs:

M

miller81

they all look genuine to me,a friend of mine has a fake takata harness and the buckle is totally different,its like the normal style buckle in your car..the harness itself looks fairly decent,also it wasnt in a takata box or anything,dont know if this makes a difference???

subzero

Reaction score
you can get them allright, i got one off a guy here , he has moved business to japan and does good offers.

he is trading under the name titanautoworks ... youll see him advertised on ffrenchies driftcars etc. seen an ad for him in this months banzai too.

real takatas will have the circular release bucket racther than the fake click in one . also the stitching etc is very different.

Reaction score
Country
Often a tail tail sign of the Fake Takata harness' is the stitching that from a length to a buckle it should have 4 diagonal lengths of stiching making up 3 complete rhombus shapes in the middle and a half rhombus (triangle) at either end.
Also the shade of green and 'shinyness' of the material can be a sign of fake goods.

I've also heard that a lot of the fakes have the same use by date and that some fakes don't have a real box claiming "to keep costs down'" :rolleyes:

If you need a close up of the stitching to get round my primary school geometry like response let me know and i'll post one up :)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Indeed the fake's are an issue - I have a lad asking for permission to sell fake ones on JDMtas, Just reminded me now actually to tell him to fek off.

Iv come across many fakes now though, And constantly had to show people whats real and whats not, I also dont get the guys who hate on me for pointing it out.. buying them because there cheap isnt a good reason to buy them.

In answer to your Links.

UK : REAL
USA : FAKE
THAILAND : REAL
JAPAN : FAKE

Hope that helps.

Mivek4 said:
I've been reading a few online forums regarding fake Takata harness flooding on EBay and also online sale forums which look almost identical to the original version. From my observation, you can easily be tricked if unaware of the differences.

A genuine Takata Harness (Made in Japan) has FOUR (4) cross stitches where it sews together. And the fake version comes with (7) cross stiches. The expiry date on the fakes are almost always 2010. The green colour does not shine like the original version.

From the online inputs gathered, they came from Taiwan's OEM Takata factory without the proper packaging. Hmm, im curious from where Takata harnesses were actually made. From whereabouts i dont care but fake imitations on a SAFEty harness aint gonna assure your life.

Well i guessed these cheap, almost lookalike imitations are meant for their targeted buyers as long it looks JDM from a far or near and as long u pay 1/3 of the price. Some people say, cheap is gooooddddd as long it works. Besides JDM, we have TDM(Taiwan Domestic Market) and CDM (China Domestic Market) fans around the world.

Feel free to ask any more questions. If your after a set let me know, I can get some for you at the cost of 50,000 yen. Not cheap, but thats direct from Super Autobacs.

Cheers

Attachments

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
Thanks for your input lads. I think for what its worth I will look into purchasing the ones located in the UK. I have spoken to the seller asking the question and this is part of his reply.

"Hi Guy,
No worries there. Item's authenticity is guaranteed." So I will have to take his word for it.

It’s hard to have faith if ordering them from Thailand as they seem to be the cheapest.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
I see what their saying. If the serial number isnt present, then its probally not real. I'll check mine this afternoon when im done work.

However, also please bear in mind, that a large batch of the takata labels were stolen a while ago, so some fakes may have the number present anyway. Its not a good method of checking.

tbh though, its actually really.. really obvious which ones are real, and which ones are fake. Show me photo's before you buy anything and i'll be able to tell you.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
why pay so much for harnesses that may not even be real, just because they are jdm and have jap credentials????? there are some great worldwide motorsport proven fia harnesses readily available in the uk from omp, sparco, willans, luke etc without the worry that you are buying fakes :confused:

sorry if i've missed something, but these other harnesses must be as good to recieve fia approval...and i'm sure you can get them in green if thats what it is;)

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
why pay so much for harnesses that may not even be real, just because they are jdm and have jap credentials????? there are some great worldwide motorsport proven fia harnesses readily available in the uk from omp, sparco, willans, luke etc without the worry that you are buying fakes :confused:

sorry if i've missed something, but these other harnesses must be as good to recieve fia approval...and i'm sure you can get them in green if thats what it is;)
Indeed the FIA approved harnesses do the job. Brands such as TRS go a "Skoda" green too. However, when its all about the brand whore - you aint gonna cut it with a set of the above mentioned.

However.. with a set of 'fake' takata's.. its just as cheap imo.. reasons like paying £300+ for a set of harnesses when you can pick up a set in the UK with another brand define's the title "Brand Whore" and to us whore's, nothing else will do.

Plus at the end of the day.. its just braggin rights :thumbs: