Gauge decision

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Looking to replace my pod boost gauge with a Defi-Link BF, but not sure which to have. Don't really need another boost gauge, as I use the controller for that. Which is going to be of most use to me? Oil pressure? Oil Temp?

Discuss. :)

M

Meddy

Nicely said:
Looking to replace my pod boost gauge with a Defi-Link BF, but not sure which to have. Don't really need another boost gauge, as I use the controller for that. Which is going to be of most use to me? Oil pressure? Oil Temp?

Discuss. :)
Day to day and to prevent you giving it the beans to early Id say a oil temp gauge. :nod: Oil pressure can be usefull but only if something has gone drastically wrong, by which time its usually too late.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Wouldnt go for the BF guage (black when off), when the light shines on them they are meant to be hard to read.

As for the guage, Oil preasure, then EGT, along with your boost this will give you a good early warning system :thumbs: - I have asked this before :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'm after a smoked gauge though. I can't see the light really being too much of an issue with it in the pod.

I'd have looked at one of those gauges we were talking about a few months back (with the Silvia S), but trying to get a response from the supplier is like shouting into the wind. Plus I couldn't find if they did 60mm ones.

Just want the BF opening and closing ceremonies really! :p

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I would go with the Oil pressure first.
That one has saved my engine from a catastrophic failure.
You can also see with the oil pressure when the oil is starting to get up to temp.
On startup the pressure can be about 5-6 Bar on idle. But when warm it's around 1.5 Bar when idling.

An oil temp gauge is usefull too.
The only use I have for it when daily driving is to see when the temp is good for bashing :D
The S15 gets up to temp pretty fast, so if you just wait 10min after starting you would most certainly be up to operating temp.
It would be a good safety measure for trackdays though.

Best is to get them all :)

What you need to do Nicely is to get rid of them centre air-vents and stuff em with gauges :thumbs:

Edit:
I know some companies here in Sweden who sells those gauges with the Silvia S.
I could look up their homepages if you want for prices.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Twin pod would be an option, not one i would go for as i would use my triple pod as suggested above :p

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yes, but you two don't live in more tropical regions... Believe me, those vents can be life savers in the summer...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I tried my setup when the outside temp was about 16 degrees C and the sun was shining.
It puffed out enough cold air for me :thumbs:
Will see this summer when temps go up towards 25-30. But I don't think it'll be a problem.

You do know there is a knob on the AC unit letting you decide what temp to have Nicely? :p :wave:

M

Meddy

Yakozan said:
I tried my setup when the outside temp was about 16 degrees C and the sun was shining.
It puffed out enough cold air for me :thumbs:
Will see this summer when temps go up towards 25-30. But I don't think it'll be a problem.

You do know there is a knob on the AC unit letting you decide what temp to have Nicely? :p :wave:
LOL :D

Reaction score
Why not get a water temp one??? then ditch the viscous and hook the aircon fan up to a thermostat! Jus dont stick your hand in the fan :no: