What's new

ticking sound on boost

P

protogyl

hi,

sorry for posting this but i have been looking/searching deep inside the forum and cant find one solution regarding to my finding. hope somebody can guide me to solve the problem or give me certain guideline before i send my car to the mechanic.

currently im driving s15 spec r JDM with this mods,

stock turbo
stock injector 480cc
fmic
greddy boost controller profec b (boost set 0.8bar appx 13psi)
blitz pod filter
sard fuel regulator
3" trust zorst (de-cat)
stock ecu not yet remapped.

ok here is the finding, whenever i step on the pedal under certain boost, there will be some faint ticking sound coming out of the engine area. im not sure it is detonation or what coz i have never heard the sound of detonation before. but the sound seems like coming from the left-hand side of the car. and for info i place the boost controller solenoid on the left hand side. i read a certain article before about greddy profec b boost solenoid will make certain ticking sound under certain boost. but i just want to be extra caution. im very worried that the car is running lean, and the ticking sound is actually is not ticking but knocking. hopefully it isnt.

but from the mechanic who installed/set the boost contoller, my car is still safe to drive on 0.8bar boost. so i believe what he said and still driving the car but with extra caution now coz i dont want the ticking sound comes out by limiting myself the boost. i hardly press the pedal now worrying bout the ticking sound. hope i can get a good advice from u guys. thanx.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I don't have a profec but it is possible your boost controller's solenoid is making the noise. You're not pushing it hard at 0.8bar with those mods so I don't any problems, and if anything you'll be running rich. Knocking doesn't sound like ticking, more like..... something rattling in an empty can.

It's hard to trace these kinds of issues without seeing the car but if you can get a video up on youtube that will help us help you :)

D

Downtown

ticking

i have a blitz sbc boost controller and it makes a reasonably loud ticking noise when i accelerate, just part of having a boost controller i assume.....

S

StarletRick

ill go with that, my old profec on my starlet used to tick away when at full boost.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i had this noise from my profec solenoid under high load at high boost. the best thing to do is fit one of these to it instead of bolting it straight to the suspension turret.
fuel pump mount
this isolates some of the noise from the metalwork in the engine bay and has quietened the ticking on mine.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Its the solenoid :nod:, my profec used to do it, but once i got it mapped properly (by Jez) it stopped.

henrico

Reaction score
Not sure if I have same issues (see my other thread ;)). I think the best thing to try is turn the boost controller off and see if it still happens..

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
shouldnt do - ticking on idle is normally lifters....

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a rattle for ages, cant find it.. However interestingly my boost solenoid is right near where it sounds like it is... its really hard to hear from the engine bay, easier to hear from inside the car.. was wondering if this was noise could have been transferring from the head through my engine stabiliser to the suspension turret....

no idea... but i hate rattles!!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The injectors tick, the ticking you are hearing on tickover may be them. Boost controller will only tick under load.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
mmm it is more of a rattle than a tick, i've checked the manifold and turbo heatshield and they are fine, but its definitely coming from that general area...