What's new

Turbo Rattle

henrico

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Had my s15 a few weeks now :cool: (I'll get pictures up soon - haven't had time as selling old car etc.) and I have a question.

Basically I get this rattling whenever I put my foot down. It sounds like it's coming out of the turbo (from left side of dash) and sounds a bit like when you stick some paper in a fan that's moving. I got home today after a blat and I could hear the rattling on idle which I haven't heard before - it was coming from top left of engine bay as you look in from front of car.

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

S

StarletRick

turbo gasket.

its a common prioblem on the sr.

20 quid gasket will sort it. its just a pain in the arse to do. it takes a while.

does it smell of exhaust fumes in the engine bay?

henrico

Reaction score
Cool, at least it's not serious :) Are there any instructions on how to do it?

I guess it's safe to drive until I get a new gasket? As the sounds coming in on idle obviously I don't want it to fall off or whatever ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep, turbo gasket. Do the turbo to manifold and turbo to dump pipe gaskets.

Its a pain in the arse to do, so if your not patient or mechanically minded get it done at a workshop

henrico

Reaction score
This might sound like a stupid question but where do I get parts from? Would going to Nissan be a good idea or do they charge stupid costs?

henrico

Reaction score
Would I need any other bits at all? Also, are the parts same as the s14 only I can imagine them asking what the hell an s15 actually is...
Thanks

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Not sure if they are the same as S14 items but can imagine they prob would be since input/output flange fitments should be the same between T28 and T28R (S14 and S15 turbo models IIRC)... pretty much the exact same turbo apart from small differences i.e. the type of bearings they implement.

The last time someone asked about turbo gaskets they seemed v expensive from Nissan as you can imagine :wack: If you can wait, better to get these from Nengun/PerfectRun/Japanparts who should all sell these items and including shipping etc should work out way less... just prob have to wait 2 - 4 weeks depending on who you buy these from :thumbs:

Reaction score
£160 for the gasket set and locking tabs from Nissan uk :down:

£89 For the same thing from perfect run :thumbs:

Nissan UK was next day so depends if your desperate.

(Prices are a few months old now)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
That gasket is only 12 months old and a genuine nissan one, as I changed it on your car last year. Just shows how bad they are I suppose!

If you want a new non-genuine gasket (but better than what nissan give you) and locking nuts/tabs pm me mate as I have a stash of them here!

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Thinking about it mate, it might be worth your while to remove the heat shield off the manifold first and have a good look for hairline fractures as it is a bit odd if the gaskets gone after only a few thousand miles.

henrico

Reaction score
Cheers Craig, you got a diagram with a big arrow on it so I know which bit to check? :wack:

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
This is the heat shield (best pic I have)..

And this is the gasket, but you wont see this without stripping it all down (in the pic you can see manifold at the top, into turbo, out to the turbo elbow on the right)..

I don't know where the manifolds usually crack, so cant help with that, but i would think you'll see some black carbon where it has been blowing - if it is the manifold that is.

Last edited:

henrico

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I got my mechanically minded colleague to come for a spin with me just then and he doesn't think it's anything internal to the engine/turbo. Maybe heat shield or exhaust so I'll check the nuts are tightened and nothing's loose. As you say Craig, if the gaskets were just replaced and you haven't driven it much it is unlikely to be that. It's a strange one though, could be hard to pin point..

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
If the turbo gaskets going or gone it will become fairly obvious very quick mate. It will literally sound like a tractor!! I've never experienced a cracked manifold so can't comment on the noise that would make.

In the top left of the 2nd pic you can see the old gasket I took out. It went from being fine to that in a couple of days.

henrico

Reaction score
What's it meant to look like - less black? :wack: Was driving it last night and I noticed the noise comes in after one 0 bar so I'm thinking definitely something to do with turbo again. tap tap tap tap driving me nuts :)

I have noticed when I'm on full boost the needle does skip up and down a very very small amount - not sure if this means anything though.

S

StarletRick

if its only when on boost, then it sounds like a boost leak somewhere. luckily, this is loads easier to sort than a turbo gasket.

recheck all the jubilee clips on the intercooler piping and all vacuum lines for splits or tears.

henrico

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post up on here that the culprit was actually my Greddy Boost Controller solonoid ticking as per the other thread posted recently. Bit relieved about that, means I don't have to take the engine apart anyway :cool: ..