LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hey fellas :)

Just wanted to see what you guys think about this:

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/products/product-detail.asp?prodId=64&catId=8&subId=-1

Looks like a decent upgrade cos it fits over the existing stock type mani plus the stock downpipe and is rated to 450 bhp.

What are your thoughts on keeping it internal wastegate? Is there much difference compared to another unit which uses external wastegate?

Reckon I'll be getting this next year - if my existing unit survives until then lol??!! :wack:

Cheers,

James

S

StarletRick

what are the specs of the compressor? it doesnt tell you anything!

Nemesis Guy

Trader
Reaction score
Website
www.nemesisuk.com
I don't know much about turbos myself but when I have the funds for a mental engine build. Owen Developments will be my first port of call for the turbo and tial products. It best speaking to them or dropping an email and giving them all your modifications and future plans with what sort of power you want to achieve in the long run or final stage. I'm sure if you’re planning on spending over a grand they will be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.
What you also need to consider if you want to run big power say 375+BHP with most after market stainless stock type manifolds even the high quality likes of HKS and Tomei will just crack soon enough with the power velocity and heat going through them.

If you ever want to find out any information on turbos check out this link to the Garrett Tech pages.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/tech_center.html
Its science and maths beyond me! :confused:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers dude - I thought Owen Developments had a very good reputation behind them :)

So if I was to get a non-stock type manifold, what would be different about this in order to increase it's tolerance levels? My basic plan is to get it near enough to 400 bhp - would be more than happy with that cos from there on, looking at all the other suspension, cooling and lightning mods as my overall plan is for something that is very much driveable - responsive, reliable, agile rather than pure big power if that makes sense.

I'm a track day addict for sure (and the odd drifting lol)...

Reaction score
Country
Why not go for the cheaper but tried and tested gt2871r ? Also why not replace all the exhaust system considering how cheap it is to do ? Also id reccomend a MHG if running over 1.2 BAR. A custom map is going to be needed including 740cc injectors and AFM replacement. Then you will need an uprated clutch as the OEM isnt gonna last long over 350+ BHP.

Its all going to add up so make sure the funds are present to change everything at once especially as you will be getting a remap done.

350-375 BHP is a good target, start going for more than that and then the gearbox is going to be the weakpoint and upgrading them is very expensive.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
^^
what he said. the gearbox really isnt happy at much over 350bhp. not in my case anyway.....

Reaction score
Country
It's a .86 exhaust housing. Very laggy boost won't kick in untill after 4.5k rpm. If that what you want. I would much prefer the .64 exhaust housing quicker spool.

TBH I think that turbo is a equivelent of garratt GT2871R with .86 exhaut housing. Any you would got a garret turbo much cheaper.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah I've been speaking to Jez @ H-Dev and I'm pretty much now decided on the Garrett GT2871R - coupled with the H-Dev exhaust mani :)

Can't remember but does this unit come with the smaller .64 exhaust housing?? IIRC Jez reckons the kick-in point should only move about 500 rpm above the stock S15 unit which sounds ok...

Last edited:

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
if you specify the 2871r .64ar 52 trim then thats the one thats better for response and comes with the nissan 2 bolt flange hot pipe output. the .86 is apparently not very driver friendly in comparison but will make more power.

lag isnt an issue with this turbo really in my opinion, i cant say yours will be the same as i have tomei cams fitted but what jez says is true, boost can be found at only a little further up the rev range. also instead of power dropping off at circa 5.5k rpm, it will hold all the way up to the redline, aggressive gearchanges up here seem to show know sign of lag at all and when you slot it up a cog it will pull just as hard again. also the power is spread out more than with the 28r with wheelspin coming in with boost as always under hard acceleration but watch it in the wet as i find you cant always predict when its going to light up. i love this turbo - very nice balance and lots of fun:D.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Yeah cheers Dean - I think I'm decided on this unit... seems to tick all the boxes for the application that I want for my 15. One of the top issues was lag and was only ever going to get a tubby that didn't have too much of it :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
as turbos go, it isnt any bigger than the 28r, the unit itself is the same size but it is capable of flowing more air

J

jhinchy

I was thinking of going for a HKS GTSS, as its similar money to a 2871r, but supposed to be more suited to a road car. Very responsive etc.
A set of poncams and a 2871r might be a better option, what kind of power are you getting dean?