What's new

calling all USA S15 owners

W

wookieballa

im in Japan, and plan to bring my S15 home, i have an idea, but im not 100% sure about how its going to pan out. i'm not telling anyone, so dont waste your time asking, just post up your location, and if you have a hard time with the car, ETC. i know theres a handful that have made it out there, cause ive seen the pics, SC, VA, TX.. if you pulled it off chime in, and post up some pics!

W

wookieballa

Wow.. no one.. i know theres a few out there.. maybe they just havent joined the site???

Reaction score
Country
i'm living over by Atsugi and plan of taking my s15 back to the U.S. one of these days as well... although i haven't looked too deep into the legalities of it, i plan on registering it as a show/track car just to get it in.. after i get it in country, then i'll work on getting it street legal..

i know in the u.s. they've been doing a big crackdown on illegally imported cars recently. a good buddy of mine in oklahoma city got his r33 gtr impounded recently... :down:

P

Punghouse

i'm living over by Atsugi and plan of taking my s15 back to the U.S. one of these days as well... although i haven't looked too deep into the legalities of it, i plan on registering it as a show/track car just to get it in.. after i get it in country, then i'll work on getting it street legal..

i know in the u.s. they've been doing a big crackdown on illegally imported cars recently. a good buddy of mine in oklahoma city got his r33 gtr impounded recently... :down:
how they get the car?

Reaction score
Country
how they get the car?
he had it shipped to Canada, then brought it across the border. he had registered it in oklahoma and was driving it as his daily driver for over a year before he got busted. he didn't get into any legal trouble, but they impounded his car and gave him the option of selling it to an overseas buyer.

P

Punghouse

wow what a bummer. no "federally illegal bs">? im starting to hear alot about that. how do you prove that you sold it overseas?did he have any other options?

Reaction score
Country
wow what a bummer. no "federally illegal bs">? im starting to hear alot about that. how do you prove that you sold it overseas?did he have any other options?
this happened back in sept of last year, as of right it still hasn't been sold. it's still sitting in a impound lot (that he's paying for) right outside of oklahoma city, once he finds an overseas buyer, the car gets released to the transporting company for shipping. he also had the option of putting it in storage overseas.. either way they wanted it out of the u.s. i know he has a time limit (i don't know how long) before the state takes ownership.

P

Punghouse

this happened back in sept of last year, as of right it still hasn't been sold. it's still sitting in a impound lot (that he's paying for) right outside of oklahoma city, once he finds an overseas buyer, the car gets released to the transporting company for shipping. he also had the option of putting it in storage overseas.. either way they wanted it out of the u.s. i know he has a time limit (i don't know how long) before the state takes ownership.
that sucks. by "overseas" that just means out of the country right? sell it to someone in canada then find a way to bring it back lol. how much is paying for impound?! best of luck to your friend though.

W

wookieballa

someone needs to put a bug in obama's ear about how the Us wastes so much time and money on busting imports, and just give in and let us have our damn cars.. we pay for them so whats the big damn deal.. you cant tell me a car built 25 years ago is safer than my S15.. total BS!!

someone will eventually win this fight until then we just have to wait it out..

how did fortune auto pull it off>?>?>?

S

sams15

was your friend driving with no tags or registration? i dont understand how they did that to him. I own an s15 in the U.S. live in arkansas

Reaction score
Country
was your friend driving with no tags or registration? i dont understand how they did that to him. I own an s15 in the U.S. live in arkansas
it was registered, tagged and insured in oklahoma city. but the fact that it was illegally imported is what bit him in the @ss! i'm sure if your s15 is legit, you should be okay.

M

mikaellee

wow that is really sad for his r33 but is there any way of getting the s15 over to US

M

mikaellee

i searched on the report of bringing the s15 to us the answer is yes u can import the car due to $$$$$$$ u pay for your car and at the port you will have to pay a 2.5% worth of the car also how to import the car? you will have to do a petition online nhtsa.gov and see if they will allow you and if you pass you will have to get a registered importer to help you through it to import your car by submitting a contract with nhtsa (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) that the car will only be used as a show or display car and can only be driven when the car reaches 25 year old. if not you will have to sell it over sea or crush the car :( idk how others got their s15 in US maybe throught the same way but idk how they got it registered lucky i say...or maybe thats why there are so many s15 that are on sale now for like 20k cause all they do is have a car sitting and cant be driven

M

mikaellee

s15 registered?

Here you go, it's already landed in the US...

You're welcome!
uhh I have a zilvia account too that's someones car in Texas hes selling it for 20k plus ...im sure he's selling it because its is only registered as a show car or display car that's why he is selling it unless there is other ways of registering it ..but I doubt it the car has to be at least 25 years old go read
nhtsa.gov
documents of imports cars :annoyed:

Reaction score
Country
I just bought one and have a contact that can import them and get them registered. If you want to bring yours over he can do it for you. I am in Oklahoma btw