Coilovers fitted!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Woohoo! Finally fitted my Apex coilovers on Friday (thanks to Juz on SXOC for the use of the ramp and air tools).

Bit of a frig, as it appears the the base strut length needed to be different to which the S14 boys have been starting with... Go them sorted in the end though. The rear was pretty much sorted first attempt. The fronts have needed a few tries (at least 40 miles between each adjustment). Possibly higher to start with, but OK now....on one side. :eek: Set the length exactly the same both sides, but one side appears higher than the other. :confused: Will have to check it tonight. Supposed be having a full alignment done tomorrow morning...

Also fitted rear toe arms, which were a doddle with an air gun. :p

First impressions: :notworthy: Bends which were previously taken close-to-the-edge are now so flat and stable its incredible!

Got my braided brake hoses on too and DOT5 in the system. Coupled with the M3 discs :eek: STOP! ABS is coming on fairly easily if I forget and am a bit heavy footed :p

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, I'll take some photos once both sides are the same height and all the wheels point the same direction. :p

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
Nice one :thumbs:

mine came today they look a great bit of kit, it'll be a couple of weeks before i get my techy friend
to fit them as i think i'll wait for my rear camber arms to arrive first.

could you please do me a huge favour though and give me some idea of what base height to go off,
so i can tell my techy mate when he fitts them.

kimi x

p.s just one thing did you measure your ride height before you started..as i've got tein coilovers on my yaris
and my arch to centre cap were slightly different on all my wheels :eek:
and talking to others it wasnt just my car that was at fault.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've got 18s fitted and my front strut length (distance between the locking rings) is 95mm. Spring preload is about 5-10mm front and back. I'll have to check the rears, as I can't remember...

If you're keeping the standard 16s, you'll be able to go lower as the rims will tuck inside the arches.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You'll have to wait till I've had the alignment done. :)

OK. My fronts are 95mm, the rears are 175mm between locking rings.

L

Lee75

They look like a good bit of kit :cool: i might have to invest in some later in the year :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
ahh. Me like............ the Volkswagen in the backround :p :D
Just kidding. Nice. I can see some copper paste there aswell :thumbs: It looks da bomb yo :wave:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Setup looks good, but from looking at your Sig pic there cant be much room to lower it??

I adjusted the toe on my car last night just using the stock toe arms, its made a bit of difference, have a new Spring seat coming for the damaged one, so will get them off and cleaned up etc, then full alighment done :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Just got in to work after getting the alignment done. I seriously recommend getting a top laser alignment done if you've fitted coilovers. It will probably freak you out when you see how far out everything is... :eek:

The guy spent an hour-and-a-half setting everything and said it was made easy by having adjustable everything. He checked the height and said it was spot on to the mm. Got something right then... :p The front has been lowered more than the back. The back was already fairly low.

Who wants to see the before and after settings...?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
:nod: :wave:

*Need my alignment done*

Big improvment in handling??

Bit scared to get it done as the wheels as such a crap offset they stickout already :(

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
OK.

.....................................BEFORE................AFTER

FRONT

Caster..........Left............8.95?...................7.34?
....................Right.........8.94?...................7.29?

Camber........Left............-1.51?..................-1.23?
....................Right.........-1.65?..................-1.21?

Toe..............Left..............0.25?..................0.00?
....................Right...........0.07?..................0.02?
....................Total............0.32?..................0.02?

REAR

Camber.........Left............-1.34?.................-1.11?
....................Right...........-1.52?.................-1.12?

Toe...............Left.............-0.34?..................0.16?
....................Right.............0.30?..................0.16?
....................Total............-0.04?..................0.32?

Thrust Angle......................-0.32?..................0.00?

Phew, that what hard work battling against the BB's auto adjusting formatting :p

The handling feels much more fine tuned and precise. Only drove it 5 miles from the alignment place to work, but it felt good. The steering wheel was even central in a straight line... :p The downside is that the steering is influenced by every single imperfection in our shite road surfaces. So its a bit surface twitchy. But it was before too. Nothing you can do about that though. Wide low rubber and precise alignment...