What's new

What Coilover are good for the s15?

N

nicks15

hey guys.. im very lost and worried about getting the wrong coilovers for my s15!.

i was going to tein super streets then i was told that the Australian spec ones dont go low enough but the Jap ones do..

then i was told go Type Flex ?? anyone got them ?

I have been sugested to get Bc coil overs, JIC coil over,

what should i do guys?

who has had no problems with here coil over?

Ps. the car will be sitting 10cm of the ground when it comes to Car show time i want it lower.

PS. My budget is $1500 - $2500. cheaper the better.!

subzero

Reaction score
would have assumed all teins were form japan .... but anyways ive teins and the car and they can drop the car to the ground.

jic's will prob cost a fortune .

N

nicks15

would have assumed all teins were form japan .... but anyways ive teins and the car and they can drop the car to the ground.

jic's will prob cost a fortune .
yeah they are all the made there but they are made to sute australian roads...

what teins do u have in urs?

Reaction score
Ive got Tein Flex on mine but they are S14 not S15 type they are a little softer in spring kg's but they can go a lot lower if thats what you want.:wack:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
the susperstreets are the same if they are Jap or Oz spec. IT's just the OZ ones have revised spring rates and valving. They will not go as low as you want no matter which ones you get.
If you want to go really low, you have to get coilovers that have a threaded body for adjustable ride height, which superstreets do not have. A word of caution, this is illegal in NSW and I would say in QLD too.

M

Matt_S

My mate has a set of the Tein Monoflex on his S14a and they are the bollocks!
If I was paying out that kinda money and I wanted the best (in the UK anyway) thats what Id go for. THe EDFC just topped it for me. I complained it was a bit stiff on the road, so I changed it! :D Hmmmm, thats better! :D

B

BOOSTED

the susperstreets are the same if they are Jap or Oz spec. IT's just the OZ ones have revised spring rates and valving. They will not go as low as you want no matter which ones you get.
If you want to go really low, you have to get coilovers that have a threaded body for adjustable ride height, which superstreets do not have. A word of caution, this is illegal in NSW and I would say in QLD too.
yeah they're illegal here in queensland

if you want a good legal coilover you should look into KW's, my mate has them on his m3

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
My mate has a set of the Tein Monoflex on his S14a and they are the bollocks!
If I was paying out that kinda money and I wanted the best (in the UK anyway) thats what Id go for. THe EDFC just topped it for me. I complained it was a bit stiff on the road, so I changed it! :D Hmmmm, thats better! :D
Give it a year, then we'll see lol. TEIN's are crap, They dont and cant hold up to the UK weather in the slightest! My best friend's got them on his Super Charged is200 Lex, And it just dosnt feel good. Plus Tein's dont go low.. not even in the slightest im afraid, get some HSD's.. then you'll see low. I was scrapping the 15 and still had a heck of an amount to go down.

The EDFC is just a lazy boy perk, It takes around a minute to fully adjust the dampness of the suspension on my coils, and once there set up around 5 clicks (half way) its perfect for slow and quick driving.

AVOID TEIN's!

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Just because your mate's car doesn't feel right or that they don't go as low as what you want doesn't mean they are crap. Has he had his alignment done correctly? That would be the first thing I would look at before pointing the finger at the coilovers.

I love my superstreets. If you drove on my local crap roads, you would know why. Not everone wants their exhaust ripped off at the slightest speed bump and some of us are not as lucky as the ones with smooth roads.

I have heard people bag superstreets, but these are people using their car on the track. Superstreets are not fully fledged track coilovers. They are not meant to be. That is why they are called superstreets.

M

Matt_S

Give it a year, then we'll see lol. TEIN's are crap, They dont and cant hold up to the UK weather in the slightest! My best friend's got them on his Super Charged is200 Lex, And it just dosnt feel good. Plus Tein's dont go low.. not even in the slightest im afraid, get some HSD's.. then you'll see low. I was scrapping the 15 and still had a heck of an amount to go down.

The EDFC is just a lazy boy perk, It takes around a minute to fully adjust the dampness of the suspension on my coils, and once there set up around 5 clicks (half way) its perfect for slow and quick driving.

AVOID TEIN's!
Really? Hmmm. I think he'd laugh in your face, seeing as the last set were HAs and they lasted about 6 years/50k miles.
The car is low. Not 'Mint Low' :wack: But then he drives it on the road not just the track and it very rarely grounds out.
Youre really trying to teach me to suck eggs! :D
I know what you can and cant do to the cars pal - ten years of S body ownership doesnt really reflect my S15OC join date or my knowledge ;)

As to EDFC being lazy? Hmmm. Yes youre right. ANd it is REALLY easy to change the settings. APART FROM WHEN YOURE DOING 70MPH (+ ;) :wack: ) and you want to change the settings on te move without stopping. And the rears are a PITFA to change anyway! I know cos I used to play a little bit with the settings til I was happy with it for drift on my old S14 drift car :wack:

MInt mate, I just realised it was YOU posting! :wack:

Youre car sucks! Its not driveable! :p

Last edited:

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
The dude asked for coilovers and said he wants his s15 decked.. Teins dont go low enough to fall into the general term "decked" but simple the usual "Oh the car's real low.." term.

I sujested HSD Coilovers because they DO go low. TEIN IMO, Are not the best investment for roads in the UK. Simply because they dont last, Iv seen plenty TEIN's been through the wars due to the weather just eating them up. I mean its almost fact. Sure in Japan or a better climate like Oz or what not, somewhere they dont throw piles of salt and grit down everywhere, however that defeats the point, The op asked for something to drop it more than TEIN's would.

Matt i cant think just now who you are, Or who 'Your laughing mate' is, I dont care tho. So with that.. I doubt youv probally been in my car? To know if it drives or not?

no? .. didnt think so.

M

Matt_S

Driveable as in goes back n forth on the drive? Or driveable as in can go to the shops without avoiding the snails that might take off the exhaust on the road? :wack:

:p

My S14 was more driveable than yours and that was low!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
lol, What people epically fail to understand was that when it was that low it was used daily, to and from work around 60+ miles aday. Then some touge runs with some dori up in driftland on the odd weeknight, The thing only ever scrapped going in and out my drive way and over the little speed bump outside my house.

I bottomed the car out once due to the dip in the road which mashed the exhaust, and also when the car was fully loaded for JAE it was scappin the cats eyes.. but as i said, fully drivable, It had to be.. i wasnt gonna walk to work ;) lol.

I wanna see pics of the 14 matt.. Its a good excuse to bum off fat chicks tho.. "CAR WILL SCRAPE" ;) lol

Reaction score
Mint ive had my Tein's for quite a while now with what you call the lazy EDFC system and there is no problem with them. Also I think you better check how low Tein's actually go as mine are threaded all the way and I could go much much lower on them if I wanted. Its a personal thing to eachother dude, My car is low enough for me.What spring rates have you got mint they must be hard to stop it bottoming out

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Oh dear, seems as if iv hit a soft spot here with a few of you on the whole TEIN comment lol ;) Didnt mean to offend, Its just I used to think the same as many of you with how wonderful the whole brand was.. Until I got to experience them for myself and wasnt that impressed.. Especially with the price AND the fact they bumped up the prices drastically!!!

Im unsure on my spring rates as I have gone as far as slamming it, adjusting the dampness then getting 4 wheel laser allignment done on Whiteline standards so the springs have not been changed.

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/driftworks-control-system-coilovers.html

Each to their own at the end of the day, however most people just go for TEIN because "Its Cool" even though iv met more people who dislike and have been anything but dissapointed with their TEIN suspension than liked it.

Sorry to rattle anyone up tho. if you enjoi and love your suspension then thats fantastic! Just putting a shout out for the lesser known companies is all. jeez...