What's new

What Coilover are good for the s15?

Reaction score
Oh dear, seems as if iv hit a soft spot here with a few of you on the whole TEIN comment lol ;) Didnt mean to offend, Its just I used to think the same as many of you with how wonderful the whole brand was.. Until I got to experience them for myself and wasnt that impressed.. Especially with the price AND the fact they bumped up the prices drastically!!!

Im unsure on my spring rates as I have gone as far as slamming it, adjusting the dampness then getting 4 wheel laser allignment done on Whiteline standards so the springs have not been changed.

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/driftworks-control-system-coilovers.html

Each to their own at the end of the day, however most people just go for TEIN because "Its Cool" even though iv met more people who dislike and have been anything but dissapointed with their TEIN suspension than liked it.

Sorry to rattle anyone up tho. if you enjoi and love your suspension then thats fantastic! Just putting a shout out for the lesser known companies is all. jeez...
No probs Minto:p. I have another set of coilovers sat in my garage waiting to be overhauled they are a set of Zeal coilovers made by Endless im guessing these will be better than my Teins but I am having difficulty finding anyone to repair the oil leaks on them at a decent price,I guess im gonna have to strip them down myself at some point,only not sure what oil Zeal/Endless use to re-fill them:D. They are supposed to be quite common in Japan but not sure.

subzero

Reaction score
this is half way on my teins , and the car i find is to be honest barely drivable due to the exhaust hopping off the ground every 2 secs ....

also when going to JAE i couldn't get on the boat . ended up going in with the trucks on the bottom deck and that took me a few go's.

i feel if you have a kit it makes decking the car a lot easier as the kits comes much lower over original.

i will say , i got a set of hsd for a mate and they look well built and very very well priced.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
No probs Minto:p. I have another set of coilovers sat in my garage waiting to be overhauled they are a set of Zeal coilovers made by Endless im guessing these will be better than my Teins but I am having difficulty finding anyone to repair the oil leaks on them at a decent price,I guess im gonna have to strip them down myself at some point,only not sure what oil Zeal/Endless use to re-fill them:D. They are supposed to be quite common in Japan but not sure.
Iv heard good things about Zeal :thumbs: I'll see if i can find out

V

vti_coupw

i had teins in my civic and never had a problem with them perfect for the ****e roads we hav in ireland and my mud flaps would catch the cats eyes on motoryways and my exhaust caught on every speed bump, i found them perfect for daily driving on ****e roads, im basically set on super streets again for my 15 but after reading what mint said im thinkn about the drift works ones now lol,

M

mouses200sx

hey guys.. im very lost and worried about getting the wrong coilovers for my s15!.

i was going to tein super streets then i was told that the Australian spec ones dont go low enough but the Jap ones do..

then i was told go Type Flex ?? anyone got them ?

I have been sugested to get Bc coil overs, JIC coil over,

what should i do guys?

who has had no problems with here coil over?

Ps. the car will be sitting 10cm of the ground when it comes to Car show time i want it lower.

PS. My budget is $1500 - $2500. cheaper the better.!
Hey Nicks15,

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment and am also from the Brisbane Area. I have been speaking to many of my car mates and also many of my mechanics and i was told about Pedders bringing out a new coilover ast the end of April. Apparently they already have it for the older market cars but they haven't made any for the newer model cars. Have a geez at www.pedders.com.au and all the info is there for them. They are also supposed to be about $90 more than the Tein Super Street but able to do a whole tonne more...hope this helps

N

nicks15

Hey Nicks15,

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment and am also from the Brisbane Area. I have been speaking to many of my car mates and also many of my mechanics and i was told about Pedders bringing out a new coilover ast the end of April. Apparently they already have it for the older market cars but they haven't made any for the newer model cars. Have a geez at www.pedders.com.au and all the info is there for them. They are also supposed to be about $90 more than the Tein Super Street but able to do a whole tonne more...hope this helps
thanks mate ill look into it.. only thing is that they are aus spec.. so make ur check out spring rates and stuff

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...

When it comes to aftermarket suspension systems everyone i notice just seem to want to have the 'chav' factor by saying oh i have TEINs and you have Kei Office or DG5 or whatever.

Ive been to the UK and trust me i know how bad roads can get over there, but wherever you live there is just no beating Malaysian roads because roadlayers here have a sick fetish of laying nice asphalt and then murdering them days later by cutting them apart to fit pipes or wires they obviously forgot. But thats not the point now isit? The point is ALL coilovers and in particular Japanese ones have equal damping capabilities. What everyone fails to realise is the type of springs used.

For road riving id strongly recommend progressive wound coil springs like KW's or Bilsteins or Eibachs (mine). These complement your sport dampers well and will give excellent drivability on B- roads where most of us spend our time behind the wheel. Do not exceed a spring rate of more than 5kg-mm if you want the balance between comfort and roadlholding plus a ride height that wont sit an ants schwort off the ground.

Unfortunately, Japanese coilovers use direct winding springs that provide unmatched , crisp road feedback....but when that road is a B road then you've had it for sure. Things rattle, CD's skip etc. The s15 has a very rigid chassis already and i belive adding such stiff setups will just make the experince worse. And most of these systems (Zeal function K) for example start off with spring rates in the low 7 to high 10s. Ive even seen some go up to 14 (Kei Office).

Nismo's R-Tunes are good as they give height adjustability as well as progressive wound springs with spring rates well below 7kg-mm. TEINS Super street does exceptionally well even without its edfc because the spring rates, though direct wound, are only 5-6 kg-mm.

But if you one something really cheap, then get a set of KYB New SR sport shocks and mate them to Eibachs pro-kit. Killer setup that sits just right and i kid you not, pot-hole friendly with just mild judders in the cabin. If your budget allows it then you can upgrade to Bilstein dampers. You can even use the r32 skyline ones and have the dampers revalved and nicely serviced by your local bilstein service shop. That would save you a pretty penny and well, nothing beats having a Bilstein sticker on your car. Cheers. :D