What's new

which gauge first?

Reaction score
Country
out of the following, which gauges would you consider being the most important? second? etc??

oil pressure meter
oil temp meter
water temp meter
egt temp meter
air/fuel meter

Reaction score
Country
Oil pressure and temp definitely. A/F gauge is handy if you are constantly modding the car.

If you havent changed the boost gauge though then id say that takes priority over everything else esp if running higher than standard boost.

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Aye, an accurate boost gauge is always the priority on a modded turbo motor.

If you were just getting one gauge after that then oil pressure, it is the quieckest way of spotting any immediate disasters which you can act upon before cooking the engine, and in a way it reflects the oil temp aswell because pressure is higher when cold and then comes down to normal when the oil is warm. If getting two gauges then bothoil pressure and temp would go well together.

Wouldn't really bother with water temp, it's not as critical as oil temp and you already have one in the dash.

I'd probably get the air/fuel ratio next, it's an easy way to make sure you're not running lean when giving it the boot, which should save you from potential meltdown.

If it was me, I'd get an intake temperature gauge before and exhaust gas temp gauge aswell. The intake temp is more critical for indicating potential detonation than the egt and you can use it as a marker for your limit on when you give it beans, much like the oil temp :)

In summary -
1 - boost
2 - oil pressure
3 - oil temp
4 - afr
5 - intake temp
6 - egt
7 - water temp