What's new

rear strut/brace bar question

Reaction score
Country
i've been looking to purchase and install a rear strut bar for my s15. all my sources in the past says the s14 and s15 bars are the same. yesterday i went down to my local upgarage (used performance parts store here in japan) and they had a nice one (don't remember brand) for the s14. when i was going to buy it, one of the mechanics there told me that it won't fit the s15. anyone have any experience on this?

J

jonny b

the ones which go under the bonnet in the boot and in the back seats will,got mine out of a mates s14

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
the ones which go under the bonnet in the boot and in the back seats will,got mine out of a mates s14
So the crossbar (across the floor between the front and rear seats) and the lower mounted rear strut (located in the boot; ie. not over the parcel shelf) fits both 14 & 15? What about the front strut braces - are they the same too?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yes, front and rear will fit. Some of the cheap Ebay ones won't though. Some are US KA24 braces and won't clear the SR20.

Reaction score
Country
Just out of interest - Does having a rear one (either) make much of a difference as the S15 (spec R's anyway) have the reinforced bar in the rear boot that i guess does the job anyway ?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have a rear undershelf cusco one. Yes it does make a difference. As to how much, that is a personal opinion. I found the difference to be quite small when I installed it, but I am sure that I would notice if it wasn't there now that I have one.

There are other things I would spend my money on first. If I was to do it again this is the order I would go.

1) Swaybars
2) Coilovers
3) Adjustable arms
4) subframe bushes
5) strut braces

4 and 5 are about the same in priority, even though I don't have subframe bushes fitted atm.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Thanks Christian; I have 2, 3 (from meddlers list) and suspension link bushes done and wanted to go with the strut braces next to firm up the spec S chasis so that info will more than likely help me find one at a reasonable price....

Reaction score
I put a Cusco one in like Meddlers, and I noticed a smoother feel in tight corners particularly if there were irregularities in the road. :)

F

Fro-Daddy

I put my both of my Tien strut braces in first, made a bit of difference, then the Cusco swaybars made it better yet again. But since I have added Silkroad coilovers and Ikeya Formula camber arms and toe rods, I don't think the strut braces and swaybars were overly necessary. Sure, they will help, but not a huge amount on a street car...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: JDM Spec S has no bracing. JDM Spec Rs with a sunroof are also missing some of the internal hidden bracing.