What's new

stop end swopping

K

krisrt

im doing alot of reading into the s15 before i find the right one for me to get and it keeps on coming up that in the wet its a bit frisky and likes to swop ends if you dont be carefull.
i wont drive the car on the track nore drift it but i do push my cars when im on my way to work at 5 in the morn, so im trying to work out are there ways to aleviate this prob other than just being carefull.
will a good suspension setup help?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The S15 is one of the most balanced cars around. This makes it quite predictable if the the back end goes and is fairly easy to control. However, as with EVERY rear wheel drive car, push it in the wet and it'll bite back. This is nothing to do with the S15: its automotive dynamics. Unless you take some advanced skid pan training, you need to drive with a degree of caution in the wet. That's common sense. If you feel you can't control that right foot, you should stick to front wheel drive cars. Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but I know far too many people who have wrapped S13, 14 and 15s around lamp posts and barriers or thrown them into ditches because they didn't respect the wet.

Reaction score
Country
Yes as Nicely said. Also you can improve the back end stability with a decent suspension setup including uprated ARB's and locking collars. The most important thing which many people seem to neglect is to get the alignment properly setup afterwards as this makes a lot of difference.

Once you get the feel of the car you will realise just how easy it is to keep the back end on the limit by using minute throttle control. Its just a good rule of thumb to always apply the power progressively, especially when exiting corners and roundabouts.

I dont think i could ever go back to FWD again to be honest except for a Track car where i can push the car to its limit while getting my track experience up.

K

krisrt

Yes as Nicely said. Also you can improve the back end stability with a decent suspension setup including uprated ARB's and locking collars. The most important thing which many people seem to neglect is to get the alignment properly setup afterwards as this makes a lot of difference.
yes been looking at suspension on ebay and was suprised to see all the components on there you can change to fine tune your cars setup. (dont get that type of quality nore variety on fiesta setups lol)

does H dev setup alignments aswell as tuning? as hes just 2 hrs down the road from me and will be paying a visit to get it correctly mapped anyway.

M

Matt_S

TBH the Helical diff is a hell of a lot better than the S14s viscous diff for getting you outta trouble.
I had a bit of a moment a coupel of months back (dry, 80mph, 4th gear Flat foot building boost to max) and I think I would have been looking the other way (and/or in a ditch) if Id done it with a Viscous diff. And then afterwards I find out a few mates have spun it/ditched it there in FWD cars it can get that slippery!.. Never had any issues with the bend myself before...
But anyway, the helical, almost like a 2 way in this instance, just let the car wiggle a bit with a gentle lift and with some correction, I was OK (albeit a bit shaken LOL! :D ). And yes, I used to drift, so that probabaly helped. Maybe in a fit of panic, you (yourself, with alittle less RWD experience) would have hit the brakes. NOOOOOOOO! Worst thingyou can do with the back sliding (assuming you DONT want to increase the rate of angle! :D ). Just ease off, let the wheel go a bit and then hold for correction...

Worked for me! :D

Reaction score
Country
Only times ive been close to spinning it is actually when the back end has began sliding, ive counter steered and when ive lifted off the throttle it corrected so quickly i almost didnt get the steering back centre again and almost swung the other way. Really need to be careful of that !