What's new

Couple of Importing Questions

Reaction score
Hey there,

Some of you may remember me from my posts mostly commenting on S15's in the gallery, i only signed up before christmas and haven't really needed to ask anything or seek advise on here yet, although i have been a regular visitor and love reading the latest gossip here :D

I am not an S15 owner (yet), and unfortunately due to mainly insurance costs (too young!!! :no:) will be unable to take any steps towards buying one for a couple of years yet. Despite this, i'm spending the time i have up until i'm able to buy wisely by doing as much research as possible so i have the best chance and a good knowledge when the time finally comes. :nod:

Me and my age/insurance issues aside, the rough idea i'm having at the moment is to buy straight from a dealer such as Torque-GT who have impressed me so far purely by the many recommendations i've seen, this seems by far the safest option, and the flexibility still seems good as i have a good (specific) idea of what i'll be looking for.

I thought i'd post as i've been reading up on importing procedures/laws etc etc, thanks to Nicely for the great page he put up on the SXOC (http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=172195) -
aswell as this i've looked at:
http://www.epoi.com/faq.html
and
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...hicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/index.htm

The questions i had were regarding these pages, however silly they may be i hope somebody will answer them :D

1. I've looked on some of the gallery pictures and the cars don't have rear fog lights on them, and supposidly you need them to pass the ESVA... am i missing something or have you just removed them after the test lol?

2. According to the regs you need a minimum of CAT 2 Immoboliser, do the S15's come with these, or is it added cost?

3. Is it mandatory i have a MPH odometer fitted?

I could sit here all day verifying some of things i have read against the S15's, although i think you get the drift.
Overall.. i'm just looking to find out what exactly needs to be changed on S15's in particular, and any other info anybody can give me regarding this would be very much appreciated.

I am yet to speak to anybody personally over the phone or such regarding buying/importing or whatnot purely because i am nowhere near ready to buy. I take it that Torque-GT have included in the price any ESVA changes that need to be made for the car to be ok for the UK.

Any info on what you get included in the price with importers such as torque would be really appreciated aswell :D

One last question.... :ghey: Not regarding importing.
I know that without ringing round the insurance companies its hard to get an idea of how much the insurance will be. However, has anyone got any idea of a minimum age i'd be looking at (for a reasonable price) to insure a Virtually Stock Spec-R with a few years (3?) no claims and no points?

I'll hopefully be looking for a Spec-R in Pewter or White (Preferably an Aero version) as close to stock as possible (including interior), only exceptions allowed for wheels/suspension and the odd engine mod.
I'm young, i know.. I'm under the impression that some of the older car enthusiasts look upon people my age as boy racers (most are, i know ;)) - but i'll just be looking for something close to stock, not sure how easy these are to source???

I'm pretty sure this is an essay lol, but would be really grateful if anyone wouldn't mind answering any of these questions.

Mark

EDIT (Just after posting): Feckkkkkkkkkk...!!!! This is a long post lol.. :thumbs:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
1. I've looked on some of the gallery pictures and the cars don't have rear fog lights on them, and supposidly you need them to pass the ESVA... am i missing something or have you just removed them after the test lol?

2. According to the regs you need a minimum of CAT 2 Immoboliser, do the S15's come with these, or is it added cost?

3. Is it mandatory i have a MPH odometer fitted?
1. Most people have then put into the second reverse light on the rear cluster, otherwise you get a fugly square light on the back of your car.

2.You will need a minimum of a Cat2 for the SVA, but if you get a car from an importer they should hopefully get this sorted. You will find though that almost all insurance companies will want a Cat1 or they wont insure you with an S15.

3. Not 100% sure, I guess at no, but it helps to have MPH. Again the import company will normally sort this for you.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Regarding insurance it depends how young you are really.

Insurance companies will insure you at most ages if your willing to pay silly money.

I got my S15 at 23, had 3 year NCD on a FTO GPvR (they did ask what Id been driving) limited milage policy.

Insurance is such a personal thing and is different for everyone so its hard to give you any decent advice on it.

Reaction score
Country
1. Rear fog light needed for ESVA & MOT but you can either wire them into second bank of lights in the rear cluster or disconect the light until MOT time.

2. The SVA centre will add/bodge on a CAT 2 alarm just to pass its test and is usually included in the preperation/test costs. As Darren said though ditch this as soon as you get the car and fit a reccomended CAT 1 alarm (e.g. Toad Ai606).

3. The SVA centre will fit a convertor chip to convert the speedo to read in MPH, then they stick a black 'MPH' sticker onto the speedo cluster. This again is usually included in the ESVA prep/test cost.

Id suggest no younger than 21 as far as insurance goes otherwise you will be hit with laughable prices as they simply wont want to insure you.

Mine was 100% stock apart fromm Nismo horns and side winkers but Charlie @ ProdriftUK spent months trying to source me one. Ive modded everything myself which im happy with as i know that no corners have been cut, however its cost me a fair bit more to get it to the level i wanted than some people.

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks Darren for answering those questions for me. Hopefully i won't have to worry about messing around with the car to get it past SVA, however it's good to know these things to make sure everything has been done properly and what can be removed or changed after etc :thumbs:

On the insurance front, i know that there will never be a definitive answer unless you phone up, give details etc. So i appreciate the advice, looks like i'll have to wait a while until i can give some more accurate details in a year or so's time to get a quote.

Id suggest no younger than 21 as far as insurance goes otherwise you will be hit with laughable prices as they simply wont want to insure you.

Mine was 100% stock apart fromm Nismo horns and side winkers but Charlie @ ProdriftUK spent months trying to source me one. Ive modded everything myself which im happy with as i know that no corners have been cut, however its cost me a fair bit more to get it to the level i wanted than some people.
Jez, thanks also for the reply. 21 was about what i was thinking.

I'm more than happy to buy an almost stock one and leave it like it (with the exception of maybe some wheels) for a couple/few years until insurance comes down and allows for it.

From the reading i've done, almost stock S15's aren't that easy to find, when you say months.. any more info on this?
If possible, how much did you pay (or, was it more than you would an average S15 thats been messed around with alot more?)

Again, thanks to you both for the replies. Very much appreciated :thumbs: Any other info will be great from anyone.

Thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Country
Its pot luck how often a decent S15 comes up in auction that ticks your boxes. I was after a white, full Aero, Grade 4 or higher and around 70-90km. Took me and Charlie 8 months to eventually find one with a few outbids in the auctions and some dissapointing further inspections on some previous potential buys. However after i got mine loads seemed to show up :rolleyes:.

I was lucky with mine price wise as it sold for quite a bit less than my limit, might be that the Japs are usually more interested in the ones that have had lots of cash pumped into them as stock ones sell for quite a bit less it seems.

Eitherway, if you are going the import route id strongly suggest using a reccomended importer as they usually have people on the other side that can carry out or request further inspections before the auctions begin. Dont just go by the grade sheet. Also take into account costs like import duty, shipping, agent fees, ESVA when bugdetting. These combined will likely cost between £3-5K

Reaction score
Hi again, and thanks for your reply :D

Cars will be cars unfortunately. It's never easy buying a used car, so i am fully expecting a wait for something suitable to come up, if you rush things, your asking for trouble, or at the least you won't get exactly what you wanted.

I think i'll definately import, as buying one thats already in the UK kind of spoils it for me. I guess thats good news that the stock ones are not as sought upon in Japan.

Just to clear something up, this ProDriftUK you mentioned - I assume it is a buy to order business, where you go to them, tell them exactly what you want, and you pay for their services to pick a specific car from auction and make sure it's a decent one.
Whereas, somebody like Torque act as a dealer, so to a certain extent (i know Torque do some sort of requests service though) you can't really choose what they get in, its just luck of the draw if they get one that fits your criteria.

With that said, would that mean you can directly see where each penny is going (Car itself, importing, importer services, etc etc) with somebody like ProDriftUK, but with somebody like Torque, its a one lump sum if you like for the overall lot inc all the services etc?

Torque are selling S15's for £9,995 for example, which i assume is including everything..
Would i be looking at paying more if i want a specific car and go with somebody like ProDriftUK?

Does anyone have any ideas of how much the actual car itself goes for at auction in Japan (exc. fees)?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense (i've read it) but its a little difficult understanding the difference between these different routes to importing :ghey:

Thanks Again :D
Mark

Reaction score
Country
Charlie @ ProdriftUK will run through with you all the costs and you wont pay a penny until you need to pay for the actual car after the auction. Then you will pay the rest of the costs when the car comes in. Charlie will explain it all to you where every penny is going and i honestly cant reccomend him enough. Its worth driving down to meet Charlie as hes only like an hour away from Essex (Chelmsford anyway) and that way you get such a better idea, plus he may have an S15 in stock for you to look over if you havent seen one in the flesh yet, he even let me test drive one he had at the time!

Charlie wont cost anymore than Torque as i cant see how they could cut costs over the same priced car....in fact i can honestly say that for the extra amount of work he did for me importing the car and free fitting on loads of mods i had already brought (coilovers, locking collars, alignment arms, front pipe, elbow, decat) that im suprised its even worth all his time tbh.

He also has full access to all the auctions so he can show you examples of how much cars sold for, dont be surpised though if you get a call or text at midnight with him asking you to check your emails to look at details hes sent on a potential car that he can get his agent to check before the auctions start if it ticks your boxes :)

Anyway ive shamelessly plugged him enough now so ill stop. My advice is that if you want to chat to him then 'it never hurts to ask' ;)

Reaction score
Super! Thanks for all the advise mate, its very much appreciated! :thumbs:

Charlie at ProDrift sounds like a top guy and i'll certainly be giving him a bell when the time finally comes lol.

Funny when you say your in Chelmsford, as my mate said he saw a White S15 a couple of weeks ago (maybe 1 week ago) parked in chelmsford down past the cricket ground i think (somewhere around there) so i was wondering who's it may be (assuming it is yours of course!)

I'm from Brentwood, and am in chelmsford quite alot so will look out for you, if you hear an awfully feminine beep and a thumb out the window from a black corsa then you know it's me lol ;) :ghey:

Thanks Again,
Mark
:thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Yes that would have been mine :) no other white S15s in Chelmsford (that i am aware of) and sometimes park there if i drive to work.

M

Matt_S

Mark, Ill part Ex you on mine if you want :)

Im sure you can insure it ;) :thumbs:

Reaction score
Haha. Interested in my corsa are you!? ;)

I'd do the deal anyday of the week mate, problem is you'd be about 9 grand out of pocket lol - and i'd be waiting a couple of years to actually drive it legally.

As i'm too lazy to check, i'll ask lol.
But your the fella with the Pewter S15 with white wheels that has pictures taken near a lake/pond/water/whatever?

Still haven't had any luck with that yet? :eek: Has anyone viewed it or anything?

Thanks ;)
Mark

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what i'm saying though. I haven't got the other 9 grand lol..

Corsa's cleared me out (For now ;))