Continent driving and headlights

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Here's a good one. Who knows how to mask S15 headlights so they conform to Continental driving regulations? All headlight which have undergone Euro Type Approval have markings to show where to mask. However, ours haven't got Type Approval and have no markings...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Why do you need to do this??

It it cause most of the rest of the world are lefties and we need to mask ours off as not to blind them :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: Our dipped beam patterns (and Jap's) have a flat cut off point with a right upward slant (left on the road). See here.

This is fine for us, as the high side of the beam is on the left side of the road, and therefore isn't in the oncoming driver's eyes. However, on the continent you're driving on the wrong side ( :p ) and the beam will be straight in their eyes. That part of the beam needs masking.

Want to avoid having to do it the hard way with insulating tape and the beam on a wall...

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I know how you could get the light pattern flat. But then you would need to buy new lights to restore them back to normal :p

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
As long as your close i imagine it would be ok.

Loads of drivers driving about with there headlight alignment out :rolleyes:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, I know :rolleyes: Its meant to be a compulsory requirement though. I know damn well that if I don't at least make the effort, some Brit-hating gendarme will take and interest in the car and give me an on-the-spot.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Topper said:
Your prob right mate

Just out of interest where you heading ?
By Nicely's choice of the word "gendarme". I would believe he is heading towards France.
Am I correct? :)

K

kieran

have driven over there 3 times now in the s15 never had any problems but then i think my beam pattern is a lttle low anyways, i couldnt figure out how to blank the right part either and gave up after an hour of trying lol

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The advice on SXOC is to get the clear prism converters. They flick the angled bit from left to right, without reducing the light much. Just a case of parking in front of aforementioned wall and moving them about until the pattern flips...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
The advice on SXOC is to get the clear prism converters. They flick the angled bit from left to right, without reducing the light much. Just a case of parking in front of aforementioned wall and moving them about until the pattern flips...
Interesting, where can you get these from??

Keiran (or anyone) - what fuel do you fill up with while in France for instance??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Don't think Halfrauds do them. Motor factors are a good bet. I've used them before, but can't remember where I got them.

98 RON in France.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, don't really think this is going to be a problem. Was parked in front of a wall yesterday and discovered that the beam pattern is almost flat... :D

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Well, don't really think this is going to be a problem. Was parked in front of a wall yesterday and discovered that the beam pattern is almost flat... :D
Yeah. I also noticed that when checking mine before Swedish MOT.
I drove around here for a couple of month before modding my lights for right hand traffic and never had a problem with people flashing head-lights or anything (people here tend to do that when they get bright light in their eyes :) )
And I had the stock Xenon light. So people would definetly let me know one way or the other if they were blinded.

So I would suggest to do nothing to your lights. Maybe set them to the lowest setting on the in-cabin adjuster (if you have that).