What's new

More carbon goodies...

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Guys and gals!

Here's a pic of my underbonnet as I bought the motor -

First off, I've got one of the carbon cooling panels coming from the group buy, that'll sort out the gap at the top of the bumper. Now, the ali 'lid' to the Apexi cold air box isn't quite up to the job, there's loads of space around some of the edges where warm air can get in easily. As such I've taken a template for a better fitting lid and taken it down to my local carbon fibre place. They're going to sort me out, probably take about 3 weeks, which I'll replace the ali one with. Then, as time allows, I'll replace the ali 'side' of the box again with a better fitting version.

Once I've sorted mine I may be able to sort a group buy, though it might not be the cheapest thing in the world. Would be a straight replacement top for anyone with an Apexi air box and a lid for anyone who's happy to build their own side :)

Will post pics once sorted!

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Once I've got the replacement bits in I'll have the original Apexi air box spare, so we can certainly use it to do a test fit :)

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Right, got the first few pics sorted. Have installed the cooling panel from the group buy. Was a bit of a pain as there was a lip on the rear which prevented it sitting flat on the slam panel, took me ages to file it down, taking off about 4mm, in order to get it flush and allow all the fittings to sit back where they should. Also found there's a few things on there with loose nuts on the back so I had to stretch through the bumper to get them back on once fitted!

Also got the replacement lid for the air box, which I'm quite pleased with. Has a subtle graphic on it, one of my Skewer graphics logos in reflective white, and it's all polished up nicely.

Also have the centre caps which are carbon discs with the S logo in reflective white and red, just need to give the car a good clean before getting them on and taking some pics :)

Here's progress so far -

Reaction score
Country
Nice, did you custom make the centre caps or stick the carbon onto some other make ? Im looking to find some that fit my XD9's as the WORKS ones are crazy prices!

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Indeed, due to the price of the Works ones I had these made up. They're just carbon disks, with the graphics added, then plenty of polished lacquer on top. 65mm flat disc. I then used some evo-stik to attach them to the inner lip of the centre hole, they're in good and proper :)

I can get some more made up if you're interested, though they're not that cheap themselves at £15 plus vat each, but it still worked out cheaper than the Works ones from RHDJapan :eek:

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
very nice work there mook.

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Thanks chaps.

Working on my parcel shelf now to get the carbon panel sorted on that , should have some pics of that in the next few days.

Now looking for a carbon spark plug cover. I've seen one by TiTek ( http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/M...en=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=CFP-030114 ) but it's vented. Is there any great benefit to having the vents or does anyone know if there's a solid one off the shelf anywhere? Jeff maybe?

Reaction score
Country
Indeed, due to the price of the Works ones I had these made up. They're just carbon disks, with the graphics added, then plenty of polished lacquer on top. 65mm flat disc. I then used some evo-stik to attach them to the inner lip of the centre hole, they're in good and proper :)

I can get some more made up if you're interested, though they're not that cheap themselves at £15 plus vat each, but it still worked out cheaper than the Works ones from RHDJapan :eek:
Cheers mate. Ill probably look into doing something myself, at least until the exchange rate changes so i can buy the proper ones.

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
No worries Jez, let us know how you get on :)

Got the next bit nearly ready to go in - the panel on the rear parcel shelf! Got the panel attached to the shelf this evening. It sits 10mm clear and then I've got a blue LED strip stuck underneath in the middle so you'll see a faint glow around the edge when it's on. Used some blue anodised fairing bolts to attach it, and used nylock nuts seeing as the sub will be sat directly below.

The graphic is in reflective white so should still show nicely through the rear screen despite the tint. Think it's quite a subtle addition :D

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
Bit more progress on this. The rear parcel shelf is back in and looking nice, a little more subtle give nthe rear screen tint but the reflective graphic stands out nicely in the sun. Will get some pictures of it once I've given the motor a once over :eek:

Next, another bit under the bonnet, I did get that Titek carbon vented spark plug cover in the end which looks rather nice.

However, instead of just plopping it on I decided to be a bit more eye catching with the surrounding. Had a word with LK Drifter and got me a painted rocker cover. When working out colours I decided to go with the blue of the anodised wheel nuts/valve. To that end I also purchased a job lot of blue anodised nuts and bolts to replace none load bearing stuff under the bonnet, and coupled it up with a blue anodised engine torque damper from the US. End result -

Just need to get rid of the red anodised strut brace feet now, probably just go for silver. Hmmm, a carbon brace with silver feet would look rather nice, must check out Cusco :)

Once again a big thanks to LK Drifter at Littleknocks in Ruislip for not only painting up the rocker cover but being a gent and swapping it over for me, cheers buddy :D

subzero

Reaction score
personally i think the red on the strut is just right, offsets the rest of the engine bay perfectly ....

any chance youd let me know where you got the anadised bolts/ nuts, badly could do with a few of them . the look badass. pretty please :cool:

Reaction score
Website
www.skewer.co.uk
Country
*lol*

Got a nuts/bolts from Pro-Bolt - http://www.pro-bolt.co.uk/site/frameset.htm - go to Shop Online then scroll down until you have Aluminium Products on the left, can either get job lots or individual ones. They also have titanium ones for load bearing stuff but you're talking mega money for those, some of them over £4 a bolt :eek:

I hear what you're saying about the strut feet, I'm still thinking on that one :)