What's new

Buying an Spec S S15

J

jackblack99

Is there anything I should look out for when buying one.

Im going to look at one at the weekend and its totally standard with a nice bodykit.

Waht do you reckon would be a good deal, he is lookin for 9,000euro

Thanks

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Just the usual S15 things

Make sure it hasn't been crashed
Try to find out if its been used for track / drifting before
Listen for vvt / timing chain noises

Last edited:
J

jackblack99

vvt?

whats that. how often would you have to change the timing chain and in general how often would you have to service it

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
That is a gorgeous car. 9k is quite good too if the car is as good as it looks..... Is that the same Martin French that competes in Prodrift?

You'd be surprised, the S has no difficulties drifting....

The vvt sprocket can be pricey to replace. A slight knocking noise when you move off in first or reverse when the engine is cold is a sign of the sprocket being on its way out. The timing chain, I dunno, you'd probably want to be changing it in and around the 100 - 120,000 km mark?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The VVT isn't anything to be concerned about. Nearly every SR20 sprocket will start rattling at startup. Its only if it does it all the time that its an issue. That's fairly uncommon.

S

s15andy

Certainly looks a nice car with some money in mods....but isnt it pushing on for spec R money?

I paid £3400 for my 2002 spec S a couple of months ago. Admittedly it was a completely standard non turbo auto but in great condition. £900 later and its turbo, manual and has a spec R diff. I know ive still got a fair bit more to spend on wheels/brakes/suspension etc

I know the price of spec S cars seems to vary a lot, but at that money i think i would be considering adding a little more for a spec R or finding a cheaper S.

Andy

J

jackblack99

I have been lookin at magazines now for ages and webpages. I think its one of the cheapest ud see in that condition.

Spec R running costs is the major one for me. Plus iv never had a rwd car so i see this as progression. Might grt a Spec R a year or two down the road.

S

s15andy

Yeah got a good deal from a breaker, bought a complete s14 front cut with 60k miles, and it turns out its got a stainless manifold and turbo elbow and a blitz ind kit, paid 850 for that. Got the helical diff on american ebay, left a bid one night, went to bed, woke up to find i had won it for £4.54! delivery was nearly £50 mind you, but i was still amazed when it actually turned up!

No labour costs as i do everything myself. Whole conversion only took a weekend and a couple of evenings....last weekend actually!

Jackblack - I do see your point there about the progression thing into rwd, a good idea. I suppose bodykits, hks sus etc all adds up cost wise as well, and it certainly looks clean.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
€600ish, I think.... Goes on the cc so it'll be the same as a spec R I'm afraid :( unless the newer imports are under the new tax rules (CO2) in which case it could be anything!

Edit;

Not too far wrong - €614 for the year (https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2009_en.pdf)

And you won't have to worry about the CO2

A private car first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008 will be taxed on engine size (cc). The new CO2 based system does not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

Last edited:
S

s15andy.s

whats the 0-60 time of a spec S.

Is it painfully slow???
its not painfully slow.. but if i was u i would buy a turbo one! when i got my spec s dynod it made 137.8bhp at the flywheel an that was with nismo filter,5zigen; header,decat an full proracer exhaust system:wack: they are fairly slow campared to a sir civic/ or thpe r!

Just buy a turbo one..:thumbs: