What's new

Buying an Spec S S15

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
its not painfully slow.. but if i was u i would buy a turbo one! when i got my spec s dynod it made 137.8bhp at the flywheel an that was with nismo filter,5zigen; header,decat an full proracer exhaust system:wack: they are fairly slow campared to a sir civic/ or thpe r!

Just buy a turbo one..:thumbs:
137 :eek: & I thought mine was bad..... 154 at the fly & 164 Nm (HKS mushroom filter standard mani & cat with 3" Apexi from the cat-back). Where did you get yours done Andy, mine was in Westward...

I'm with andy.s though, get a turbo because there's no cheap or easy way of improving the spec S's performance (unless you can do the work yourself like s15andy :cool:)

S

s15andy.s

137 :eek: & I thought mine was bad..... 154 at the fly & 164 Nm (HKS mushroom filter standard mani & cat with 3" Apexi from the cat-back). Where did you get yours done Andy, mine was in Westward...

I'm with andy.s though, get a turbo because there's no cheap or easy way of improving the spec S's performance (unless you can do the work yourself like s15andy :cool:)
i got mine done down at westcoastperformance (dynodynamics) in tralee they are supposed to be the most accurate in the country..he reckons the other rolling roads around the place exagerate figures to keep 'boy racer' customers happy an coming back for more..he said if i went to another rolling road that it would prob make 15 to 20bhp more..!

He told me the most they got from a sir civic down there was 155bhp an that was with extreme mods(most of them dont come close to 150),the most they had from a type r civic was 165bhp an the most they got from a teg type r was 177 or so..just some examples!

J

jackblack99

i just cant afford to run,maintain and insure the spec R. id love to have one but i think il have to settle for spec S

J

jackblack99

ha i didnt mean it like that. id be more than happy with a spec S even though the majority of people think its for posers.

I think its a good looking car and id be delighted with one.

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
i got mine done down at westcoastperformance (dynodynamics) in tralee they are supposed to be the most accurate in the country..he reckons the other rolling roads around the place exagerate figures to keep 'boy racer' customers happy an coming back for more..he said if i went to another rolling road that it would prob make 15 to 20bhp more..!

He told me the most they got from a sir civic down there was 155bhp an that was with extreme mods(most of them dont come close to 150),the most they had from a type r civic was 165bhp an the most they got from a teg type r was 177 or so..just some examples!
Very true, what sort of torque was she producing?

Reaction score
Country
s15andy.s
i've heard the same about westcoastperformance. was on the roller's down there not so long ago. they say there about 10% less then any dyno in ireland.
i normally use westward eng. to tuning/ dyno my car.

I got 362bhp down in westcoast on last RR day.

I have my name down for the westward Eng RR day on sxoc. so im excited about getting a extra 10% increase (36.2 bhp)

I have not done any mods with the car since last RR day so it be intresting to see if I can make 399bhp:eek:

S

s15andy.s

i just cant afford to run,maintain and insure the spec R. id love to have one but i think il have to settle for spec S
i was in the same delemma when i bought my Spec S but theres **** all difference in the costs between the two..petrol: not a major difference
insurance: not much difference
maintenence: not a whole lot once u dont have extreme mods an dont drive the nuts out of it all the time! It was prob the biggest mistake i ever made buying a spec S to be honest..not half enough power/u get sick of people lookin at the car an then sayin 'ah shur its not a turbo its no good' /an the fact i lost the bones of 3000 when i sold it on:ghey:

S

s15andy.s

s15andy.s
i've heard the same about westcoastperformance. was on the roller's down there not so long ago. they say there about 10% less then any dyno in ireland.
i normally use westward eng. to tuning/ dyno my car.

I got 362bhp down in westcoast on last RR day.

I have my name down for the westward Eng RR day on sxoc. so im excited about getting a extra 10% increase (36.2 bhp)

I have not done any mods with the car since last RR day so it be intresting to see if I can make 399bhp:eek:
ha ha ya it will be interesting to see the results of that RR ray:wack:

J

jackblack99

i was in the same delemma when i bought my Spec S but theres **** all difference in the costs between the two..petrol: not a major difference
insurance: not much difference
maintenence: not a whole lot once u dont have extreme mods an dont drive the nuts out of it all the time! It was prob the biggest mistake i ever made buying a spec S to be honest..not half enough power/u get sick of people lookin at the car an then sayin 'ah shur its not a turbo its no good' /an the fact i lost the bones of 3000 when i sold it on:ghey:

Not much diff in insurance:no::no:. The best quote I could get on Spec S was 1600 and couldnt find any1 to insure me on a spec R.........not even Quinn. Im 23 an 5years ncb 0 points. I cant believe it either:cry::cry::annoyed::annoyed:

D

david

That is a gorgeous car. 9k is quite good too if the car is as good as it looks..... Is that the same Martin French that competes in Prodrift?

You'd be surprised, the S has no difficulties drifting....

The vvt sprocket can be pricey to replace. A slight knocking noise when you move off in first or reverse when the engine is cold is a sign of the sprocket being on its way out. The timing chain, I dunno, you'd probably want to be changing it in and around the 100 - 120,000 km mark?
Timing chain should never need changing once the car was serviced fairly often and never heard anyone changing one. 9k for a spec s is enough in the current climate u will see them from as low as 7k now. also as trail said watch out for accident damage(quarter panals) and if it has a two way diff id personnally leave it there as it was probably dogged.

J

jackblack99

why would you leave it there because of the diff. I dont understand the different diffs as in slip diff and 2 way diff. What difference do they make to the car

D

david

The standard diff is limited slip and this mean when its put under presure it locks both wheels but on normall driving its great. a two way diff is more sensitive and nearly has both wheels locked all the time and not nice to drive on normall driving as they are noisy and dangerous in the wet as the car can go sideways very easy. a two way diff is used for drifting so if it has one its been sideways most of the time which is wat i mean by dogged.
this would not bother some people its just personnal preferance :down:

J

jackblack99

The standard diff is limited slip and this mean when its put under presure it locks both wheels but on normall driving its great. a two way diff is more sensitive and nearly has both wheels locked all the time and not nice to drive on normall driving as they are noisy and dangerous in the wet as the car can go sideways very easy. a two way diff is used for drifting so if it has one its been sideways most of the time which is wat i mean by dogged.
this would not bother some people its just personnal preferance :down:
So a limited slip diff is the way to go then. Thanks for that:thumbs:. I dont really want a car thats gotten loads of abuse