What's new

Project Research - S17 Silvia Concept

G

Godders

Hi all,

I am a final year Automotive Design student at Coventry University School of Art and Design, one of the worlds leading institutions in the Automotive Design industry.

I am currently researching the first of two projects that will count towards my final degree, and am in need of some user profiles, which is where you guys come in.

Quick Introduction to my project:

After reading a lot about Nissans new FR Concept, rumoured to be reviving the legendary “Silvia” brand, I was left somewhat unenthused. I have always been a huge fan of previous Silvia models and the related variants (180/200/240sx etc) and in my opinion the concept doesn’t do the name justice, combining bland looks with the possibility of an uninteresting small capacity V6 engine. With the recent release of the GTR and forthcoming 370Z, the new model is in serious danger of being overshadowed and resulting in complete disaster.

I am therefore undertaking the task of designing a follow on concept (aimed for release around 2020) with the possible title of S17 Silvia. I have my own brief pretty much sorted, but don’t want to give too much away just yet, as I need completely personal and unbiased responses from you.

If you could take the time to answer the following questions, and make any other comments on the subject, I would be extremely grateful. I will also try and keep this updated as my project progresses.

Many thanks for your time.

Robert Godwin

NB. I have included a few official and unofficial images of the 2010 Nissan FR concept at the end of this thread, for those who aren’t familiar with it.

------------------------------------------------

Please could you include your age, sex, location and occupation along with your comments.

1) What models of Silvia or SX Variants have you owned, and for how long?

2) What first attracted you to previous models in the Silvia range?

3) In your opinion, what aspects of the car(s) make it stand out from its competitors?

4) Do you see a place for a new Silvia model in the Nissan range?

5) What are your opinions of the rumoured S16 Silvia concept?

6) What would you look for in a new Silvia model? (Looks/power source/drivetrain etc)

7) Any other comments/opinions?

------------------------------------------------

Click to enlarge

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
this may not be very constructive, but those concept images serve to show just how out of touch nissan (and most manufacturers) are becoming, that would do for the silvia brand what the g35 did for the skyline brand, no good at all....

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
see imo thats a bit more like it, less executive saloon and more agressive sportscar:cool:

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I'm with R-Spec on the above concept but that G35 doesn't deserve to have a skyline badge on it :no:

As for you're questions Godders
1) What models of Silvia or SX Variants have you owned, and for how long? - Just the S15 since April '08

2) What first attracted you to previous models in the Silvia range? - always wanted a 180sx but couldn't afford one, when I could I went for the S15. The lines of the 180sx are just amazing & if the car is lowered with nice alloys & subtle aesthetic mods they really are stunning

3) In your opinion, what aspects of the car(s) make it stand out from its competitors? - The S bodies are well known for their handling & performance capabilities and in the case of all but the phase 1 S14 are widely regarded as much better looking than the competition of the time (I happen to love some phase 1 14's) but the S15 is unlike anything of a similar price offered on the market at that time for looks & performance

4) Do you see a place for a new Silvia model in the Nissan range? - They need it but I can't really see them offering a cheap RWD coupe to rival the Genesis from Hyundai in the near future. Nissan's current range of cars is horrible (with the obvious exception of the 350/370z & R35). The last decent hatchback was the N15 GTi (even though I adored my Twin Cam N16), they've not had a decent saloon since the old Primeras and they're current take on both are simply horrendous (IMO)

5) What are your opinions of the rumoured S16 Silvia concept? - The FF platform defeats the purpose, they should call it a G16 and spare the chassis & Silvia reference from certain embarrassment. I like the idea of reviving the model but it needs to be done right if its done at all.

6) What would you look for in a new Silvia model? (Looks/power source/drivetrain etc) - All of the above :D It would need to be cheaper than the new 370Z with superb handling and increased power over the spec R S15. The styling would need to be right, a modern take on the S15 but more like the concept r-spec listed than any of the ones you have.

7) Any other comments/opinions? - Best of luck with your assignment :wack:

Reaction score
Hello mate,

I'm also in my final year at the University of Hertfordshire studying Automotive Design but have just recently changed to Motorsport Engineering. You seem to have a really good FYP! Wish i had something like that, mine is on Road Sign Recognision using artificial neural networks! Any way the answers to your questions.....

I'm a 21 year old male living in Hertfordshire and a student at Herts Uni

1) I'm quite new to the Nissan world and this is my first Silvia. It's an S15 spec R in Pewter, I've only owned it a few weeks... but i'm in love with it already!

2) I was looking for a powerfull RWD car and originally wanted an S14a, but my girlfriends Dad gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on an RX8. Unfortunatly it was just too slow for me (they have zero torque) so I sold it and managed to get an S15! :D It's a lovely looking car with everything I wanted and great tuning potential!

3) I think the S15 Stands out form it's competitors mainly on it's looks. It is also cheap to run and like i said has great tuning potential... what other RWD performance car has 4 seats and looks as good has the S15?

4) I deffinatly think there needs to be another 'Silvia' and would go down a treat :thumbs:

5) I like the look of the S16, especially the way they have kept the line that runs down the side of it like on the S15's and skyline's, I don't really like how 'bubbly' it is and I think the front looks a bit like a Mercedes. It looks like Nissan have aimed the S16 at the business man rather than making it a fun, track looking car.

6) Would have to keep the FR setup and would need a turbo lump! I would prefer it if the car looked more 'sharp' instead of all round.

Hope this helps mate, good luck with your project :thumbs:

G

Godders

Thanks a lot for your input guys, really helpful. Keep them coming!

You are mostly along the same lines as my personal thinking... which is good to know, my project is heading in the right direction!

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Id be happy to help - First off, Those concepts imo are modern indeed, but do no favours for the name "Silvia" - also @ R-Spec, Dude i'll check if i have snaps dude! :)

I have only ever owned an s15 Spec R - Imported over in Nov 07 and owned ever since.

The Shape and the fact it remains a coupe. So many cars now adays steer from the coupe form to meet with up to date criteria's that are "Family of 4 etc" - It to me anway has always remained somewhat of a pure sports car. I have never owned earlier silvia's however i do really like the 180sx and the s13(PS13) (JDM Models) also i like the idea that you can combine them to create a Sileighty or a Onevia.

3) In your opinion, what aspects of the car(s) make it stand out from its competitors?
The suspension/diff set up, The fact these cars drift so damm well in unreal and nothing to what i have driven before. Really puts the fun back into driving without all that computer malarky, yet still fresh with clean lines and amazing looks.

100% - Only in a JDM market tho. For Nissan to release it in the UK would kill it imo. Hence why we have never had a "Silvia" in the UK and it was renamed to 200sx as silvia.. thats not a manly name for a sports car here! (idiots..) It would need to be better than the 350 and the Z35 tho.. but not as good as the R35.

5) What are your opinions of the rumoured S16 Silvia concept?
Well until i see official Nissan released concepts i hold my opinon. The ones i HAVE seen back years ago while i was in Japan .. i was very unimpressed. A very lazy option imo and nothing which creates the image required to sell. Infact, when i showed the concepts before they were seen world wide years ago.. everyone laughed at them.

6) What would you look for in a new Silvia model? (Looks/power source/drivetrain etc)
To not be part of Renault. If this can be done then it will sell. Rumour originally of using the V6 from the clio in the s16 was just utter rubbish. If they did that, it would never sell.. however, For them to re-realise some form up up to date/eco friendly SR20DET (Which was also a rumour) then that would be amazing!

Looks are very important to this market tho! 10 fold. It has no option but be RWD for a fact, some form of OEM diff, Great suspension .. basically it needs to follow the foot steps of the R35 WITHOUT as much technical assistance.

7) Any other comments/opinions?
Make it so Mr 1! I'll wip you up some designs if ya like ;) I may not know art.. but i know what i like.

Also.. for the record id like to get this out now.

my spelling is lame haha!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i'd like to add one thing, in my opinion it should have a real manual gearbox and no electronic auto/tiptronic. that takes away some of the interaction between you and the car and anything that does that is bad in my opinion:)

G

gunner93

My 2 cents worth...

S15 Spec R since Nov 06.

When I saw the car drifting, the sex, the sound, the power, the smoke. I just got to have it.

Turbocharged, balanced FR, lightweight, driftable, fun & sexy coupe, tuneability, ample & affordable aftermarket support.

Yes.

3) What are your opinions of the rumoured S16 Silvia concept?
From the concept pics, needs to be much more radical to beat the S15 in looks.

4) What would you look for in a new Silvia model? (Looks/power source/drivetrain etc)
Must have sexy curves, fun handling, everything LED, aluminium chassis, turbocharged FR, dual clutch paddle shift & launch control.

5) Any other comments/opinions?
Make it affordable and project friendly, common architecture / platform with the new R & Z chassis so as upgradable parts can be interchangeble with simple plug & play options.