What's new

buying advice and ownership

2rob0

hello folks.

looking to buying a S15 in 5 or 6 months time. 3k for insurance is steep i know but i love them :smitten:

anyhoo i know nothing about them, or any jap cars, and i've only driven one for about 10 minutes but LOVED it. and that was a standard. which is what i like. i've always loved them since the age of 16.

so any advice on owning them, running costs, common problems and dfferent models to consider :)

thanks. rob.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Hello there,

£3k insurance is a lot indeed! How old are you and how many years NCB do you have? I was 21 when I got mine with 3 years NCB and was paying roughly £1100

Have you checked out the useful threads section?? Theres loads of buying advice in there for you to have a read thru.

:)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
well i got mine when i was 23 that was young i thought but i had about 4-5yr ncb and i think mine was about 1200 fully comp with a few mods declaired

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
give adrian flux a call, they havent let me down yet and came up cheapest on the silvia - 800 odd fully comp 24, 4 yrs ncb mods declared (but in the south east)

2rob0

thanks guys. i've only done a quick check on confused.com so i havnt shopped about too much yet.
i'm 21 and been driving under my dads name for 2 years now. insurance is good in my area too. no crimes and i have a garage.

alot of people are telling me whats the point because apprently there a handfull and cant use them properly stuff like that. but i dont care :D

i'll have a read through some threads though see what pops up.

its either a S15 or a 2.9i mk3 capri which funnly enough is only 1.4k insurance lol.

Reaction score
Have a look on bell mate, i'm 21, 3 years ncb, 3 points, mods decleared, £900 fully comp and 12 months :)

2rob0

dam thats good!

i have 6 points but it still doens't make that much difference tbh.

Reaction score
Put it this way... I'm 21 with no ncb, a minor claim on my last car, I got a 56 day ban for speeding (SP30) and another 3 point for an SP30. I've had experience with a B7 RS4 I owned for only about 2 months before selling and besides that my cars have been between 130 & 170 bhp so not much and I've been quoted £2.6k so i suspect with normal SP30's you insurance would be a tad cheaper... try adrian flux, they're quoting me through NIG if it helps :)

Reaction score
I was with Sky insurance when i had my S15, try them too.
as said earlier, have a look at the sticky threads, most things you will need to know about buying a s15 are in there, along with things like maintaining and any other bits you get stuck with, failing that, there is plenty of knowledge from the guys on here.
As for being a handfull??!!?? well......you generally get that with powerfull RWD cars, a S15 is no more difficult than any other rear driver. you just gotta adapt a bit.
now is the time to buy though, plenty of people desperate to sell. My old 15 is up for sale along with a few others for silly money, 7K mark, and some tasty beefed up models for good prices too.