What's new

Pulled for the first time in the S15

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hey guys I got my first pull in the S15 thought I would like to ley u guys know aswell hahaha
I was driving a bit quick into a estate and was coming to a small roundabout and the coppers were on the left of the roundabout and i just knew they were gonna turn round and fellow me...and then they pulled me for my front plate cuz there wasnt anything else hahaha...
they said the lettering was small for the car......asked me for ID i said I had none on me i work across the road from the station called Ming Garden ( thats the name of my parents takeaway ) and then asked is this car urs how long u owned it but didnt ask me to prove anything hummm...... :D
they have nothing else to do really do they? :ghey:

Reaction score
from the title of your post, i thought we were gunna hav a juicey story of how you either waxed your bonnet of broke your back on the back seats!!!! :D
They cant do anything... you could have got a fine for the plate, but they only really fine if its in a dodgy font. I didnt have a plate on the front of my RX7, had it on the dash! (It used to block to much air flow and over heat it! Would sooner have a ?60 fine than a ?2500+ rebuild!)
Has anyone else been pulled by the fuzz in there S15?? I only used to get pulled in my banna yellow punto and illegal tinted pug!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
My plate conforms exactly with the import lettering size. I carry a copy of the regulation in the glovebox hoping they'll pull me for it. :p

D

Derek

Nicely said:
My plate conforms exactly with the import lettering size. I carry a copy of the regulation in the glovebox hoping they'll pull me for it. :p
Nicely lad, Ur just a rock of sense. :) I have my plates fully legal, Car taxed and insured. Will carry insurance policy and registration forms also.. Had enough hassle with the law and pug. For small things mind. They d'ont like modified cars here. I try and have my plates and everything legal cos if not your only giving them ammunition? Spelling?

T

totenkopf

First day i had my S15 on the road i was pulled in at side of the street while my brother was in the take away, about 10 at night, cop car pulled up behind and guy came over. He seemed to be more interested in finding out what was under the bonnet and what it actually was!!lol :D

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I thought mine was whats ur size again nicely??
i think i will have to get another made up after my hoilday...
mines normal font but just the plate size is small... :nod:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My front plate is only 12"x3", the size of the lettering conforms with DVLA import sizes, although this is only allowed where normal letter will not fit in space allocated. I.e. you have restricted space.

Take mine for example, i dont have a mounting pod/area on my front bumper, so i "should" have standard UK size lettering. But i could argue that the standard S15 bumper does have a mounting pod/area and this plate would fit nicely :thumbs: Although i would probably loose that arguement :rolleyes:

Following taken from DVLA Website: - Clicky

DVLA said:
Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles
(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)
Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates
Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm

M

Meddy

Topper said:
My front plate is only 12"x3", the size of the lettering conforms with DVLA import sizes, although this is only allowed where normal letter will not fit in space allocated. I.e. you have restricted space.

Take mine for example, i dont have a mounting pod/area on my front bumper, so i "should" have standard UK size lettering. But i could argue that the standard S15 bumper does have a mounting pod/area and this plate would fit nicely :thumbs: Although i would probably loose that arguement :rolleyes:

Following taken from DVLA Website: - Clicky

DVLA said:
Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles
(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)
Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates
Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm
Mines not legally sized but the above argument is going to get you no where. Our cars will accomodate full size plates, it just looks crap.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I did say i would loose the arguement.

Having said that i have driven past many a Police car and they have given me nothing more than a second look.

M

Meddy

Topper said:
I did say i would loose the arguement.

Having said that i have driven past many a Police car and they have given me nothing more than a second look.
Im the same. :nod: The way I see it its still completely legible and isnt crazy small, so the average bobby isnt going to be fussed. If I had dodgy script etc then Im sure they would look at it differently. :)

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i dont think my plate was the main reason they stoped me it was the only thing they could have a go at me for cuz once they saw me i was already slowed down but i aprroched the estate a bit quick thats why...
ive seen many cops and never been stoped for my plate.... :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The plates should be mounted on a proper 'brick' at the front (like on UK S14s) to ensure that its properly supported.

It could be equally argued that the overhanging plates that we all originally got (in the UK), which use identically sized writing and are totally accepted, could be considered a risk to pedestrians in the event of an accident. A bit like bumper scoops having to be meshed for the ESVA.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
......... overhanging plates that we all originally got (in the UK), which use identically sized writing and are totally accepted.............
I never got these :wave:

The plates my car came with were square ones with the Import sized lettering as i posted above :nod:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
well i probley will check out the size of my lettering again when i have time after my hoilday but iam gonn agte my rear one done aswell so it looks like nicelys hehe :D

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Topper said:
Nicely said:
......... overhanging plates that we all originally got (in the UK), which use identically sized writing and are totally accepted.............
I never got these :wave:

The plates my car came with were square ones with the Import sized lettering as i posted above :nod:
That's the one's I'm talking about. What makes them more acceptable?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its not though. Its the same size as the one on the rear bumber (see my sig). UK standard size has to be 4x4 size or brick size.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Yes but a 4x4 square plate would fit in the rear space, i presume. Wouls this not then comply with the UK size lettering??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That's my point though. Most imports could be made to accommodate a plate with standard UK lettering, but plates with import size lettering are fitted and accepted. There is no difference in letter size with my small plate, and it easily falls within the minimum border requirements.

What they should pull you for is if you have Jap sized writing or a TINY 7 letter plate the size of the actual mounting...