What's new

Help... No really HELP!

J

JDM JUNKIE

It looks like I might be putting up my girl Silvia-chan up for sale...:cry:

I recently discovered there is only one way for me to bring my car back to the states after I leave Japan and lets just say it's not very pleasant not cheap and not 100% legal.

I know a member on here that has a S15 in California and I was hoping to bring my car back without all the trouble and cost he went through, but no luck. At the moment there is only one way to bring them in and it's pretty nasty.

I'm not really happy about this, as I love the car and getting one was part of my decision for moving to Japan. At the moment I don't really want to, but I have to make a choice. I have to make up my mind by this weekend. Since I'll be leaving Japan in about three weeks.

What would you do?

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
I presume the difficulty is with making it road legal? Just ship it to the US and keep it as a track only car? I know it'd be an expensive compromise but if it didn't have to be road legal it'd probably make most of your problems go away, plus you wouldn't have to sell her and if you came into a bit of cash in the future you'd have the car in the U.S and could go about the unpleasant and expensive process of making it road legal then!

Call me an optimist but buy some cheap piece of **** American car to drive around in, buy a trailor and find the nearest track!

J

JDM JUNKIE

Yeah that wouldn't be so bad. That's the old way of bringing JDM cars into the US, but the rules have changed. If you bring it in as a "race car" it can never be road legal and you can't sell it in the future.
I've looked in into all the options and my friend actualy imports cars for his business. The only way involves lots of money and putting the car back together one bolt at a time...
Not to mention you still have the issue of paper work after that.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
bolt..by bolt.. fek that ><!

Why is it so that cars cant be imported into the US? Is it because they will find out that cars can be made to go round corners correctly and people will stop buying muscle? hehe.. sorry, had to go there ;)

Reaction score
Country
Sell it and buy a GT-R, Corvette or any other sports car seeing as how cheap they are in the US ?

Or as mentioned id use it as a track car...depends on condition. I couldnt bring myself to use mine as a dedicated track car as its in mint condition. If thats the case what about a part exchange for a more track orientated car in Japan, or sell it and buy a cheaper (tatty) and pocket some $$

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
How much of a S14 is required for it to still be regarded as an S14?

Could you get an S14 chassi and put an S15 shell on it with drivetrain and engine from the S15?

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Sorry to hear that man, thats horrible. And there's no loophole that'll allow you to make the racecar road legal - sorry; I forgot its only Irish law thats riddled with loopholes.....

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
just register it as a 240sx s14a facelift ;)

Did you not have a front end smash a while back in a private car park? Resulting in you have to change the lights/bumpers so just bought JDM parts instead.. sure no one would notice.

J

JDM JUNKIE

How much of a S14 is required for it to still be regarded as an S14?

Could you get an S14 chassi and put an S15 shell on it with drivetrain and engine from the S15?
Just the numbers is all you need...
However, I'm trying to have a legit street car.

The "parts" required from a donor S14 is my last option. I'd sooner sell the car here in Japan than that.

I had a imported Civic before as a daily driver. It was a gray import and I had it all of four months before it was stolen. I had the hardest time just getting the shell out of the Police impound. Not to mention the insurance company bent me over backwards on the deal.

I'm not trying to repeat my same mistakes. At this point it looks like I will only bring it back if I can't sell in the next three weeks...

J

JDM JUNKIE

Sell it and buy a GT-R, Corvette or any other sports car seeing as how cheap they are in the US ?

Or as mentioned id use it as a track car...depends on condition. I couldnt bring myself to use mine as a dedicated track car as its in mint condition. If thats the case what about a part exchange for a more track orientated car in Japan, or sell it and buy a cheaper (tatty) and pocket some $$
Thanks for the advice everyone :thumbs:

JEZ I was thinking about buying a S2000 if I sell my Silvia. I really don't like the GT-R at all and the Corvette is last on my list of what I would buy with $100,000-

I figure the Honda could be a lot of fun with a turbo and some suspension mods. :D Plus ever since I saw the Spoon hardtop I've been thinking about going back to the H badge.

J

JDM JUNKIE

Hahaha nice one Mint

Yeah it really pisses me off how many stupid laws there are in the US.
Here are some of the big problems.
There is no crash test data currently for the S15 in America.
All cars must have a 16 digit VIN for registration.
Headlights, taillights, and windsheild must be approved by DOT (department of transportaion)

Oh and to confrom with US law the car can not turn any angle without traveling twice that in a distance of yards. :p

bolt..by bolt.. fek that ><!

Why is it so that cars cant be imported into the US? Is it because they will find out that cars can be made to go round corners correctly and people will stop buying muscle? hehe.. sorry, had to go there ;)

J

JDM JUNKIE

Same way my friend Paulx2 in California brought one in I assume.
1.Stip the car down to the frame.
2.Send the car in two different containers from two different ports or two different companies.
3.Put the car back together with "donor" numbers or try to claim it as a kit car.
This is the only way to do it at the moment. It's very costly around $10,000 on top of the cost of the car. It's also about as much fun as sitting on a power sander while eating a glass sandwitch.

M

Matt_S

Try putting some mayonaise on the glass sandwich.

Much easier on the taste buds

:wack:

:D

(And Im sure there's a few ladies that wouldnt mind sitting on a power sander! Especially the big ones you do floors with!) :D

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
What a crap situation to be in :(

If you :smitten: the car that much then $10,000 to have it for as long as you wish in the US does not sound like that much to me?

Do you think the S15 will be safer than the Civic though?

Its a tough call, but if you do get rid of the S15 there are plenty of other cars you can get over there.

Good luck...

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
Same way my friend Paulx2 in California brought one in I assume.
1.Stip the car down to the frame.
2.Send the car in two different containers from two different ports or two different companies.
3.Put the car back together with "donor" numbers or try to claim it as a kit car.
This is the only way to do it at the moment. It's very costly around $10,000 on top of the cost of the car. It's also about as much fun as sitting on a power sander while eating a glass sandwitch.
W T F...... some people are just stupid, Why would anyone go that much hassle and money >_<'

Oh well, Man thats lame.. the other option is leave it there for me when i turn up :D I'll paypal ya the cash hehe :p How much are you paying for insurance there?

J

JDM JUNKIE

That's how I feel, but if I had the money and wasn't planning on buying a house next year it would be a different story...

I replied to your PM by the way, so if you want the car that works for me :D. But, I'd have to ask my girl to help work something out since I leave before you. :rolleyes: I can just hear her now...

W T F...... some people are just stupid, Why would anyone go that much hassle and money >_<'

Oh well, Man thats lame.. the other option is leave it there for me when i turn up :D I'll paypal ya the cash hehe :p How much are you paying for insurance there?