What's new

centre console ashtray/cubby dimensions?

d.

Reaction score
Does anyone know the internal dimensions of the ashtray/cubby in the centre console - the one with the flip-up cover near the hand-brake?
(my car is presently in the shop so a little difficult to measure at the moment)

I am looking for somewhere inconspicuous to hide my HKS Type-1 Turbo Timer which measures 89.5 x 22.5 x 13mm (WxHxD).
If the measurements are close, would it be simple to secure the timer in the space left by the tray if removed?

S

StarletRick

its too narrow to put a turbo timer in mate, it isnt quite quarter din in size.

just pop it in the glovebox or up under the dash. you never need to twiddle them once installed anyway

d.

Reaction score
If I were to secure the removable tray in the centre armrest/storage bin, would that provide sufficient space to house the timer?

I'd like it handy but hidden as it has a couple of functions I would be interested in using more than once :)

S

StarletRick

it would be alot of effort mate. if you dont plan on touching it much. just pop it in the glovebox.

M

Matt_S

If youre running a single din Head unit, why not use an S14 cubby hole in the centre console (like I have) and stick it in there? THe S14 cubby hole has a lid/flap to it, so you could leave it in there and play with it on occassion when needed :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Yep like Matt said, i have the cubby hole with lid and fitted my boost controller in there for easy access and to hide away from prying eyes. Just requires making a hole in the back and modifying the lid so it opens fully.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i just stacked it on top of the boost controller on top of the steering column, doesnt look too bad. besides i needed the din slot for a project with a triple gauge mount which finally i finished today. what about using a small carbon panel and enlarging the little cubby to the left of the steering wheel and flush fitting it in there? thats one of the things id considered.....

d.

Reaction score
I like your thinking guys, but I am planning a double-din stereo – slightly recessed with a blank panel over the front when not in use.

As for locating it in the steering cubby, I’d like the timer to remain hidden.
Have I missed any other good spots?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i think i have found a place thats hidden but easily accessible and the hks timer should fit nice and snug. pop the plastic gear gaiter surround off and there is a slot big enough to have the turbo timer in there, the face of it will be facing forward so you still have access to the buttons on the front and you dont need any tools to get to it. you can clearly see the space in this picture i have borrowed from nicely's site, its just under the rear window demist button (1st pic). also if you dont know how to remove the gaiter surround, theres a pic of that too (2nd pic) - excuse the large pics.:)

d.

Reaction score
thanks for the piccies - that is a brilliant spot - however I already have something wired up in there - great minds think alike!

Are there any other spots like this?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
well the only other place i can think of is inside the acess panel by the drivers right foot, there should be sufficient space to squeeze a slim timer in there that you could pull out to access if need be.....thats my lot im afraid:)

d.

Reaction score
much appreciated - thanks for your thoughts!
i'll have a play with it over the weekend after i pick up my car and let you know how it goes...

d.

Reaction score
updates will have to wait - i won't have the car back until next weekend...