What's new

Cooling problem on trackday

E

Endless

Just went to trackday few weeks ago, it was fun, but was having really high water temperature problem. That day was very hot (as it has always been here during summer time), around 33C with 70 - 80% humidity. I was only able to run for around 6 minutes on track before my water temperature reach 106C , then I need to either slow down to cool off or go back to the pit. My oil temperature was very good where the highest is only around 90C. The cooling mods I have so far are front mount oil cooler, Koyo Radiator, stock mechanical fan, an small electronic fan in front of the rad, front mount intercooler (think the major problem is the intercooler blocking the air from getting into the radiator. I'm deciding what to do now, was thinking to have a custom pipe running from the lower front bumper leading to the rad, however, there is only very limited space there, where I might need to cut into the frame (which I don't prefer). As far as I can see, with the intercooler blocking the rad, there're really not much space for the air to go in. I just got a radiator plate ready to install, my mechanic suggest me to change to a even bigger radiator, like the ARC one, upgrade the water pump, and change to a stronger fan, any ideas on these upgrades? or any other suggestions? I'm currently running a HKS GTRS turbo on 1.2 bar, with a tuned Apexi Power FC.

M

Matt_S

Id try a cooling panel (see the Garage Defend ones) as theyre apparently very effective.
Water Wetter? (Makes the water cooler apprently)

Dont use the A/C, put the int fan on 2 min and set the temps to high. THis will pull heat off the engine and keep the engine temps a bit lower.

Incidently, if you do go over temp (Id say 110 absolutle max! - I used to set my warnings for 100 Deg C in my S14 drift car) then dont just go back to the pits. Try and just drive the car very gently at min 30 mph, try to get some air flow in the car, if you just sit it in the pits its static and no airflow over the rad will not help it cool so easily as if youre actually moving.

HTH.

G

gunner93

These may help as well I suppose, vented hood, R33 cooling fan which has extra fins, water spray on FMIC and rad - tap off from rear window washer pump. :nod:

E

Endless

These may help as well I suppose, vented hood, R33 cooling fan which has extra fins, water spray on FMIC and rad - tap off from rear window washer pump. :nod:

You mean the R33 mechanical fan I suppose? I should look into that, how effective is the water spray since I was thinking about that too? anyone have any experience? just wondering, with most people putting a big front mount intercooler in front, where can the fresh air get into the rad?

E

Endless

Anyone use or heard of a stronger Water pump for our S15? I search through the net and doesn't seems to find much info on them other than those electric ones, are they any good?

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Surely with a front mount oil cooler rad in front of the water rad, it's now blocking off cooling for the water which is why water temps are going high and oil temps stay ok??

If this is the case, I won't be getting an oil cooler soon unless I can work out how to control both temps sensibly...

G

gunner93

Note also the optimum operating water temp is around 90deg C. Not so keen to have the engine running constantly below this level. However, the SR20DET is notoriously hot >5000 rpm even at high speed with lots of frontal wind blowing the FMIC & rad. Since both engine oil and water coolant passes through the red hot glowing turbo which is the heat source, a combo of thicker alu rad with water wetter and oil cooler may make good sense.

Reaction score
What coolant are you using? Ive found redline water wetter very effective, my water temp didnt pass 90deg at the last trackday, the only time i pulled in was because my tyres were melting, the rest of the temps were perfect. Ive also used it in all my race bikes and found it very good, very cheap and effective.