What's new

Defi Link Display - please help before I order!!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Howdy folks :wave:

Just been on The Pod @ Rotorstock last Sunday and with track action coming up next year, thought it's about time I got some decent gauges. Will also be making performance mods soon as well :nod:

So, I'm going to get the following from Defi:

http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance parts/speedometer/submeter/Defi-LinkDisplay.htm

Defi Link Display
Control Unit II
Water Temp Sensor
Oil Temp Sensor
Oil Pressure Sensor

My question is do I need anything else to get this all working together? My impression is that the oil pressure setup is more complicated and maybe I need some kind of sandwich plate which fits the S15 configuration properly?

Also, is it useful to get the exhaust temp sensor - what does it tell you (yes I know it tells you the temp before someone says that lol)?

Cheers,

James :thumbs:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
yeh u need to get a sandwich plate for that one but they come with plug and play wires but depending where u will be putting the gauges u might need to get some longer wires...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You'll also need a water hose with a sensor take-off.

And believe me, if you're going to arse about fitting a sandwich plate, you may as well get an oil filter relocation kit and kill two birds with one stone. :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks chaps :thumbs:

Nicely - take it the water hose with sensor take off is just a bit of piping which has an extra opening (prob shaped like a 'T') which allows one to fit the Defi sensor attachment?

If so, where would this new bit of piping replace the old one - near the water pump area or rad...???

Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm venturing into new territory in terms of my tuning knowledge :wack:

James

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I got a Blitz replacement with a take off cheap a couple of years ago. It replaces the top coolant hose. Apex sell them, but I'd suggest you are sat comfortably and have no sharp objects nearby when you check the price... :wack: Maybe best to see if you can get one from PR.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers mate - I'll look into Apex and PR :)

Just another double-check - do I need the sandwich plate for oil temp (cos I now know you deffo need one for oil pressure)?

If I do need a plate for oil temp then would Apex or PR be the best bets again?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You will need a single sandwich plate for both oil sensors. There is no way to pick up the oil temp otherwise. I'd expect both to sell them. If you got the relocation kit, it has two take-offs on the sandwich plate and two on the new filter adapter (oil temp is on the sandwich plate, oil pressure on the adapter on mine). The filter adapter also has a handy drain plug to drain the excess oil from the filter before removing it. Haven't spilt a drop of oil since fitting it... ;)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cool - again thanks for your infinite knowledge Mr Nicely!!

Just called Apex and here's the prices I was quoted:

Defi water temp attachment - £18.80

Defi sandwich plate - £59.00

I know you've mentioned relocation kits are a good idea but I might leave that for now cos my budget doesn't look like it's going to stretch to the oil pressure sensor etc.

S

StarletRick

if you have to leave a gauge out, id recommend not getting that water temp. as you have one in the car already, and although it isnt the most accurate thing in the world it still lets you know when your coolant is getting hot.

you dont need to spend 60 quid on a sandwich plate either, this will do the job just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-OIL-FILTER-SANDWICH-ADAPTER-PLATE-NISSAN-SR20DET_W0QQitemZ130246322467QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130246322467&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218796518479

personally, ive always found the defi boost, oil press, oil temp and EGT to be the best combo.

lets you know all the important stuff.

as for water temp. if you want an EASY way to do it in future, get the yashio factory kit, it plugs into the loom and you dont need any adapters or sensors or anything, takes about 3 seconds to fit.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Got to agree about oil temp and pressure. They are more important. Boost gauge is pointless if you're thinking of getting an EBC. A KnockLite would be a better buy than EGT.

S

StarletRick

i need a boost gauge :\

i have an EBC, but i much prefer having a glance at a dial that i do a digital display. i guess its horses for courses though on this matter.

ive always been a fan of rgt aswell, lets you get a heads up on alot of problems you may be having in the engine. although a knocklink or something would also be helpful.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks Rick... I'll deffo be getting the adaptor sandwich plate from the link you sent - much cheaper!!!

So now, I'm gonna change things and definitely get the oil pressure and oil temp as priority. Gonna look into Yashio water temp harness and gauge which I believe RHDJapan sell :) Think the Defi Link Display only shows two readings so an extra gauge won't harm...

Nicely, yes mate I will be getting EBC as soon as decat is done so no requirement for boost sensor etc.

What exactly is KnockLite for the EGT?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
This is a KnockLite. Not to be confused with the KnockLink. Its basically a Det detector (with a shift light included!). I set mine the last time I got a mapping done with Jez and we found it to be pretty spot on.

Check around for prices if you're thinking of getting one. Thor aren't renowned for their cheap prices. If you can get one without the knock sensor, do it. You can tap into the ECUs signal. It uses exactly the same Bosch knock sensor.

S

StarletRick

ooh, that looks pretty cool. i might have a look into that.

and as for that yasio factory gauge. you can pick them up SO cheap second hand.

i just bought one for about 40 quid ^^.

i can get you one if you dont mind it being used.