What's new

De-catting

T

Tethis

If you run a de-cat pipe on your S-15 will it fail the mot?

i ask this because irrespective of a 300ZX age, when i took that to a garage they had to test it as a non cat equiped car because they have not details on the emmisions for that type.

just wondering if it was the same for one of these?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Good question. Expect it comes down to if there's a listing for it. I'll ask the SXOC MoT guru... :nod:

I think in the 300ZX's case, it was down to the fact that no UK model came under the cat emmisions testing...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'll probably get a more comprehensive answer today, but he said that basically any car manufactured after 1995 has to pass a cat test. I take that to mean that it would have to undergo this as part of the ESVA, and it would form part of the model report.

M

Meddy

Yep you need a Cats definite. One other thing to note is to pass the emissions on the ESVA and the values printed on your V5 (Im guessing this will show up with the electronic MOT) they use two Cats and a non stock ECU. Or at least they did with mine and seen as they all go through Bristol Im guessing it's got to be the same for everybody.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Unless your fuelling is shot to pieces, it should only take the standard cat. If the car was completely remapped, it would be borderline without the cat.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The S14a front pipe cat ain't going to go on unless you fit an S14a turbo elbow... Besides, the MoT doesn't stipulate a cat, it stipulates the emmisions required to pass.

M

Meddy

I thought some later model S15's had two Cats as well. I realise that only 1 is required for MOT but was just thinking it would be hard to pass with only one if the figures produced at ESVA needed 2.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The S14a passed from figure taken with two cats. :) Gets through on just one...

The only 200SX/Silvia two have two cats was the Euro S14a. All the other market S14/S14a/S15s only had one.

This two cat thing is overkill. Both Japan and Oz have tougher emmissions testing than us...