What's new

Crashed!

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
sorry to see this mate, i'd be absolutely gutted......
i found it really hard to get the rear end to let go in the dry as has already been said - i was trying on purpose in a safe place to test its limits....but when i did the same in the wet it nearly got away from me. its deceiving how unpredictable these cars can be as in the right conditions they are so civilised.

its a real shame - i hope for you that its repairable

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Noooo!!! Gutted for ya buddy :(

I agree that in the dry, the standard S15 holds the road very well although at high speeds, you still have to watch the bends and get the braking right (something that I've found out for myself and had a lucky escape). These babies with RWD and such a light kerb weight can behave in a rather naughty fashion now and then!!

Chris my mechanic put it in simple terms: 'James, you own a powerful RWD car...' nuff said :nod:

Which is prob why I've never really had major brown-trouser moments in the wet (touch wood) cos I'm doubly cautious - brake well early and keep the speeds sensible on bendy roads. Notice that it doesn't even have to be chucking down for it to be dangerous. One island nearby just gets greasy and it only has to be semi-wet for one to be able to touch the throttle and lose the back-end?! Funny cambers don't help either :no:

I'd be inclined to keep the motor if it checks out ok from a structural POV and look into by-passing the insurers and get it fixed back to how it was but I guess it's all down to the maths and how you feel about it.

Last edited:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
no bother lad. don't beat yourself up about it. these things happen & its done now. there is a big difference going from a FWD CTR to a RWD S15. I find mine great wet or dry but you do have to respect it & be aware of the road surface. by the looks of the pic there was loose gravel on the road. this is most likely the cause of your incident. you have gotten off lightly so chalk it down to experience & move on. looks like a wing, door, side skirt & front section of the sill are needed. a good panel beater may even be able to pull your old sill out but that is up to you. If you can get one i'd replace it.
let us know how you get on.

Thanks for all the sympathy guys! Have been feeling like a right idiot since it happened.

I think i might have got lucky with the base of the sign, as the pole had a bend in it and was still in the ground. I have to wait till monday to hear from the insurance people as the policy is too new to be on the system! Should have the car home then too!

Thanks for the heads up on the front wings. I will get in contact with the people selling as soon as i know whats going on! Don't wanna pay for insurance and not use it.

Thanks again :D

Reaction score
Hey guys! just this second got the car out for a drive! had to replace a clutch pipe but that all seems good now, good to drive it again! i am taking the car to a garage for a quote this friday for the insurance company, so fingers crossed they agree its just the wing door and undersill! if they don't i will fix it my self haha! i will keep you all posted :)

Reaction score
In simple terms: 'James, you own a powerful RWD car...' nuff said :nod:
YES! beware you have bought exactly what it says on the tin!

Real shame its happened to you though mate, before you had the chance to get familiar with it.

Lets hope my insurance doesn't keep going up :rolleyes::p

M

Matt_S

Im sure I saw some white body parts for sale....
YES I DID! Have a word with Phil at Driftworks. He had wihite doors for sale. Probably mirros too!
Ive just heard that a white one crashed in COlchester the other day... dunno who it was tho... :wack:

Reaction score
Hey people, bit of an update. the insurance sent me for an estimate at a local body shop. The estimator said the damage is mainly cosmetic and that the car can be repaired! which is great to hear, he also told me that as the car isn't in parkers guide etc he would have to value it as what i paid for it and what the current market is selling at! which is also good! He is trying to replace everything on the car with genuine OEM parts from japan, even to the smallest detail like door hinges which work fine and don't need to be replace! as you can imagine this is a tiny bit frustrating as this is gonna take along time if they can even do this!

This is also going to drive up the cost and he is giving me a guesstimate at around £4.5k so far! but will have a final figure by the end of next week! He is even gonna try replace the aero bumper with a new one which i am sure he is gonna struggle with! Anyway i'll keep you all posted as to how it is going!

P

Pazz

I'll have the old aero bumper off you if he does buy a new one. If you are getting an insurance job then "go to town" on it and order all the bits from Nissan Japan. New Aero bumper is £600 odd but the insurance cant argue.

Reaction score
Hey i have heard nothing from either Nissan or the body shop, so i can only assume that all the parts have been ordered and are on the way?? no news is good news maybe haha? i will have to give them a call thou as i am curious to know if the bumper and other accessory parts are available :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Where Nissan GB are concerned, I would assume no news means nothing's happening. Chase it.

Unless Nissan have changed the way their ordering system works, it wasn't capable of accepting JDM accessory parts (not FAST, the actual ordering system)

Trial_S15

Reaction score
Website
www.modifiedmotors.ie
Country
Sorry to hear about your crash roots and I'm glad to hear that its getting sorted properly for you. I'd a few near misses the first few weeks I had the S15 and mines only a spec S!! I'm Still getting used to it a couple of months later, they really do need to be treated with a lot of repect in the wet!!

Hope you get it back soon

P

Pazz

Just takes a few weeks/months etc to start learning the throttle control. Especially if your going from Naturally Aspirated --> Turbo.

I've always believed in being a bit grandad-like when you first get a new car (especially in the wet). It's not easy or fun to do, but atleast you still have your car 12 months down the line and are normally a better driver for it.

D

david

In ireland now a lot off the main dealers ie nissan/honda/toyota are able to order all jdm parts on there system no problems i always use EP MOONEYS in Dublin its a main nissan and honda parts and there is no problem getting jap stuff and parts arrive in around 3 to 4 days its great. All we do is give chassis number over the phone and they can tell u there and then when they will have the parts.Dont know why the uk has not the same direct system. the only prob i ever had was with one accessory but thats because it was discontinued.

Reaction score
some uk dealers do have the JDM EPC, but even so, still can't order accessories for some stupid reason.

general parts can be ordered. :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
People are mistaking JDM parts with JDM accessory parts. All UK dealers can order JDM only parts, even when they have never been ordered before. What they can't do is order parts listed in the 'Accessory' section of the JDM CDs of FAST. This will generally be any factory options such as the Aero bumper and Aero rear spats. The other Aero parts full under the normal repair sections.

Reaction score
Had a phone call from nissan today, and they told me a few things about the parts needed for the repair. The main one being that all parts are now registered and are on order, when i questioned this and asked if that included the aero bumper and other aero parts i was told it did. I then explained that i had been told by many people that JDM accessories cannot be ordered through Nissan uk's system etc and was concerned they wouldn't turn up, and she replied that this is true, how ever all parts, JDM or not, can apparently be ordered if they appear on the fast cd's with a part code and number through the curret system?? This did confuse me more than a little and i am still unsure whats going to happen and what will turn up! :)

Not trying to dismiss anyones previous experiences or knowledge, just an update! :D