What's new

How much power is enough (for you)?

Reaction score
I haven't been on here for ages so I thought I'd check in ;)

Now, we all know the modification bug has no cure but everyone has their limits right? For me it's 210rwkw - that was always the plan and I've stuck with it. In New Zealand, the magical 200rwkw mark is now 300rwkw with 250rwkw being required to be considered "good power".

Personally it's all about balance for me and not just outright power. My car does all I want and need it to do, so I'm happy. As attractive as new turbos etc are, I don't want to pour in more $$$ and potentially create more problems.

So, how much have you got, what do you want - and how are the others tracking in the power race locally?

So for me, it 210rwkw, 210rwkw and the local "good power standard" is 250rwkw.

ps - Nicely - I see you still have 207rwkw - good on ya ;)

A

auxoura

I want to touch the 300km/h..... :D
Doubt can do it with an S15 though...

Reaction score
I want to touch the 300km/h..... :D
Doubt can do it with an S15 though...
Mate, I'd be happy enough owning a S15 in Malaysia! The last time I was over there (2002), everyone was speeding around in Proton Satrias and Wira's with 4g63 conversions (if you were lucky).

The previous time (1997), I went to a car yard in Malaysia and saw a 1992 Mazda Rx7 (auto) for $169,000 ringgit!! At the time, the same car would have cost $15,000 NZD here (approx $30,000 ringgit).

Performance motoring in NZ is cheap compared to other countries (excluding Japan). It's probably why the guys here are able to afford 300rwkw. In places like Singapore etc, you'd need to be fairly wealthy.

Gran Turismo 4 shows you can reach 300kmph with 350ps in a s15 (if you can find a road long enough haha)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Have to say that I'm happy with the power I have. I know that anything higher means a new turbo and internal changes, and I can't be arsed. Reliability starts taking a dive not much further on too...

Reaction score
Country
I think id be more than happy with 330 - 400 BHP, basically the usual remap @1.2 bar with standard tubbie or maybe a GT-RS.

Reaction score
Iv'e got 200Kw and find for street and the occasional track day its everything I need to have reliable fun. I have mates with more (250+) but they have had lots of issues with gearboxes, clutches, diffs and brakes with the bigger power. This equates to bigger dollars, and to be honest the fun factor starts to shrink.

2OOsxy

I'm extremely happy with my setup ... very streetable, not laggy, easy to drive and thrash if wanted, handles well, stops well ... and is running just over 400rwhp on a safe tune (ie. has a good safety margin).

I could drop hp and gain torque if I wanted, and if I wanted to be silly and risk the safety margin I could have more hp - but I'm very very happy how it is! It's reliable and purrs well.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I have about 130rwkw. Only power mods are a cat back exhaust and the FBU. I am aiming at 200rwkw. As Nicely and Auss15 have said 200kw should be just about right. Any more than that, the wife will complain :rotfl:

Reaction score
Country
I'm very happy with my current setup. still on standard clutch and gearbox. holding up very well.:thumbs:

but would not mine doing some more mods like MHG, slightly bigger cams and more cooling mods like rad and electric fans. and upgrade what ever breaks.:wack:

Reaction score
i'm MHG'ing mine, then i've got a HKS GTRS to go on, along with a few other bits i've stock piled. Tune on a D-jetro that's going on. Then i'm planning on leavin' it.

Reaction score
Country
Metal Head Gasket....;)

dont for get some strenghtened head bolts while you have the head off..
ARP bolts are good.

Reaction score
yea, ARP's are already on the list... they're just something i didn't mention.

cause i'm sure we all know, you should never use head studs twice! :)

and yea, Metal Head Gasket. Allows the extra .2bar . :)

P

Paul D

Im after anywhere between 300-350bhp as long as the reliability is still there.

Reaction score
well ive 285bhp at the fly and i got overtaken by a volvo......yes a volvo so its time to put the boost up and retune :D

Reaction score
no idea mate, it was a 2004 is all i can tell you and it was fast. Looked like the 1.8 model and all ill say is i wasnt impressed :D. I do have some consolidation tho as i cant floor it on the top cause my injectors are close to maxing...still got whipped tho

Reaction score
Well it looks like most of us are singing from the same song book here haha. I too have heard that around 250rwkw the gear box begins to complain.

In NZ, the next step will cost about $7000 - $8000 (HKS GTRS, new Clutch & Flywheel, Cams, retune and possibly metal head gasket and rocker arm stoppers). Also possibly some gearbox therapy soon after!

So it looks like we can call the 200rwkw mark the acceptable standard for S15OC :). The balance between cost, reliability and fun.

There are quite a few guys in NZ running close to that level with stock fuel systems (with maybe only a fuel pump upgrade and piggy back computer). Time will tell how long these cars go for reliably. If they do, they would have achieved good power a lot more cheaply than I did.

I've probably over engineered my car for the power I have - it's got the headroom built in for future mods just in case haha. My car is insured under an agreed value, and I just received my latest valuation estimate. Well, it's dropped a fair bit which is more incentive not to invest more in the s15.

I just have to make sure I don't go for a ride in a s15 with more power so I'm not tempted!!