What's new

The old "which fuel?" chestnut (yes, again.. sorry! :x )

R

Red Duke

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, about which fuel people use, remapping to UK fuel, and preferably only running 97+RON fuels, etc.

Before anyone asks, yes I've tried searching! ;)

What I'd like to know, is Esso super unleaded any good? I didn't find anything of use by searching for Esso, or Esso super, etc.. Anyway, my girlfriend and I are looking at moving house in the next year or so, currently I have a Tesco garage a stones throw from me (99 Octane fuel) and a Shell garage (which I've never used as it is renowned for being scam central for getting your debit / credit card cloned! :mad: )

Where we're looking to move to, although 10 miles closer to work (still 60ish miles one way) also means I won't have a 'decent' garage near me as we'll be out in the sticks. The only garage I pass locally on my way to work is an Esso..

Tesco and Shell are only a round trip of around 20 miles each away, and I'd probably not be using the S15 that often for work anyway (more likely for weekend blasts, or when the roads are quiet when I'm working nights.) ;) Where would be the best place to fill up regularly? And should the car be mapped on the fuel you'd use most often? I do pass a Texaco on the way to work, but it's not really local (30+ minutes away) and also a BP on the A120, but I've read BP Ultimate should be avoided like the plague. :wack:

I'll apologise now for all the questions, just trying to get as much info as I can! :thumbs:

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's nothing drastically wrong with ESSO SUL. There's nothing hugely wrong with all the other SULs either if you are running on the standard setup and with standard boost.

Its more important if you are running more power, as the Det margins are much more precise. If you intend to use it frequently, get the car mapped to it.

I have no Shell or Tesco on my way to work either. Both are either 12 miles in the opposite direction, or two miles out of the way in Bristol. Incredibly, there are no Shell garages anyway in the 50 miles in between. My S15 was mapped to Tesco99. As I tend to drive past a Shell in Salisbury a few time a week, I tend to fill up with small amounts every time I'm passing. This overcomes the problem.

R

Red Duke

Thanks for the info Nicely. :) I've not got any plans for big power or anything - first priority is getting the car! Lol ;) - I would like to do the 'usual' mods of adding an FMIC, exhaust, and the associated mods to go with those bits, unless I find a car with all that already done though if that changes anything?

Also, how 'safe' is it to run on 95 UL rather than SUL, say, if local garages have run out? Is it possible to have an ECU (probably the wrong wording) to have two different selectable fuel maps, and run a boost controller depending on the fuel you're using? (Is it even worth it?) Not far from work I have a Tesco which I think does 99oct, and on the way home there is an Esso just before the M25 - although their SUL availability seems to be a bit hit and miss at times..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Thanks for the info Nicely. :) I've not got any plans for big power or anything - first priority is getting the car! Lol ;) - I would like to do the 'usual' mods of adding an FMIC, exhaust, and the associated mods to go with those bits, unless I find a car with all that already done though if that changes anything?
If an S15 is running higher boost than normal, it needs a remap. When mine was first mapped, it was detting just over 0.8 bar running 98RON.

Also, how 'safe' is it to run on 95 UL rather than SUL, say, if local garages have run out? Is it possible to have an ECU (probably the wrong wording) to have two different selectable fuel maps, and run a boost controller depending on the fuel you're using? (Is it even worth it?) Not far from work I have a Tesco which I think does 99oct, and on the way home there is an Esso just before the M25 - although their SUL availability seems to be a bit hit and miss at times..
Its not safe. Full stop. These cars were mapped for fuel 5 RON+ higher. SUL is the very minimum without a full remap for 95RON. Many of the Irish guys have done this due to lack of SUL fuel in Ireland. I wouldn't be comfortable at all.

Reaction score
Country
Doing all the the usual mods (filter, decat, exhaust etc) before upping boost still wont need a remap will it ?

M

Matt_S

Id err on the side of caution tbh mate. THe std AFM isnt much good over 250 anyway and seeing as they S15 runs that to start with, its tuned to its full potential anyhow imho.
Id always say invest in an SAFC and a quick tune to be on the safe side. Even on std Inj and AFM. It maps out the 5500 VVT cut out probs and gives you a bit more piece of mind :)

R

Red Duke

Nice, thanks for all the info. :) I'll have to make up a shopping list of parts before, and after getting one. In two minds whether to get a standard car, and have the work done in stages afterwards (probably more expensive long term), or a pre-modified one and get it remapped straight away by Jez(?).. :confused:

Ah well, back to work for me for now! :wack:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i live quite near to a tesco and was wondering if its fine to run the car on the 99 ron fuel they sell, because if not the nearest shell is about 15miles away from my house. is there a partcular pecking order to fuels? (i know this question has been gone over before), but basically can someone who really knows whats best put it up in list form ie.

1st choice (for example) vpower 98ron
2nd choice (for example) tesco 99 ron
3rd choice etc. etc.

please excuse me for sounding a bit thick by asking these questions, i just want to make sure that the car will be getting what it needs to run nicely.:)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Tesco99 is as good as Vpower :) I happily ran it for months when the local price difference between it and Vpower got unacceptable. All the Skyline boys like it too. If Tesco was on the closer side of Salisbury, I'd still use it.

Vpower is 99RON.

M

Matt_S

I see a lot more knock on Tesco than on V power - even tho it was mapped on Tesco (as thats the nearest and cheapest SUL near me). Shell is a trip, but tbh, I may well make the effort and fill it as and when I can with Shell as it seems to run a bit better. But I know that inm the back of my head, if it IS required, the car CAN run Tesco 99. Ill just turn the boost down to be on the safe side ;)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Odd. I've never had any issues with knock and Tesco99. Mine was mapped on it too. but then Jez did a custom on-road mapping. ;)

M

Matt_S

yeh Christian wasnt too impressed that Id put that in it, but as I said to him, its the most readily available, so I thought it best!

The car has some blows on the exhaust too (quite bad atm on the back of the cat) and they said that can play havoc sometomes. Oh and it was wheelspinning. The tyres are a bit too soft for the rollers and overheated, so Im gonna get some new ones on there and have em take another look :)

R

ross86

i used to run my s14a on tesco but i now run it on v power, i was chatting to someone who explained that although v power has a lower ron level, it contains far more additives which clean the fuel lines and engine hence why people notice a difference on v power.

I dont know how true that is but ive noticed much better fuel consumption and the car does run better.

ross

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i picked the car up today and it was on fumes - so i had to fill up with bp ultimate 97 ron. is this a little low octane as the garage said use 98 minimum, but i had to use it or i would of conked out!

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
sorted. won't take long to get through this tank anyway, looks like i'll be lucky to get 250 miles for my 60quid! anyone know roughly what you should expect mpg wise, im not worried but its nice to know:)