What's new

Hks ssqv flutter noise!

D

david

Hi lads anyone know how to get more off a flutter sound rather than
the normal whishhhh..... heard an other s15 with a serious flutter sound with
the same bov only diff is he had an upgraded fmic mine is standard.....
Any help for me also my valve has the norm silver insert heard that might make a differance.
Used to have a R34 GTT but still got the whishhhh... with the ssqv too!

Anyone any ideas???

Reaction score
The flutter (pigeon) sound is caused by compressor surge.

I think the best way to achieve this with a dump valve is to tighten it right up so the valve only opens under high vacuum.

This is how I understand it, there's guys o here with much more extensive knowledge than me.

Reaction score
you won't get it with a bov installed... not like you're talkin' about.

i've blocked mine off for now, sounds great. :)

just remove the BOV and find something suitable to bung the holes! :)

D

david

Do u mean block off the main pipe to the valve and the return to the intake?
so ur not using a valve at all! is that no harm...

B

baynz

if you look in any of nicely's posts you will se s14 and s15 tech guides, there a guide to pigeon in there and the warnings related to it, hope that helps.

P

Pazz

With the stock recirc valve + air filter you will get a bit of flutter. Not as loud as blocking it off completly though.

D

david

Thanks for that just looked up tech guides and its exactly what i want...
So much for spending 400 euro on the bov when all i needed to do was remove the original and block off the pipes. It says its safe if im running
standard boost which i am. any of the rest of ye done this and not had any problems?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
IMO, compressor surge is not a good thing. You are putting undue stress on your turbo, which may result in damage, but each to their own.

Reaction score
IMO, compressor surge is not a good thing. You are putting undue stress on your turbo, which may result in damage, but each to their own.
I agree, why would you want to remove a standard componet (BOV) that was installed to prevent damage to the turbo(bearings, blades) and efficency(turbo response time)

If you want to improve flutter; pod filter,hard induction pipe, FMIC and raise the boost :cool:

Reaction score
Country
There's no actual fact stating that no bov results in damage to turbo bearings or blade wise. Some people has ran 1.2bar of boost with no bov for 2 years without any problems, it's really personal opinion.

I find that after taking off the bov, the respond right after gearchange isnt that smooth compared to having a bov. Otherwise, I'm liking my new setup.

Reaction score
Country
The main reason why manufacturers use recirc is for emission control. The pidgeon mod should be fine on less than 1.2 bar boost on the T28BB tubbie.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
And smoothness. Recirculating a BOV is the best solution all round. You won't get the slight lag associated with running without, and it'll be a fcukload smoother than all the jerking you'll get running a BOV to atmosphere. It also won't sound :ghey:

D

david

Hi guys just been at the car now blocking off the pipes and it sounds very well :thumbs:.
some off ye say its not good but if so how come its in the tech guides.
had my ssqv recurculated last week and there was not a sound at all.
Is what im after doing now any harm cause some people say YES and some say NO....
IV heard an s15 before with the mad flutter with the ssqv but he had a hks fmic so maybe this is why!

So is it yes or NO to the blocking the pipes!:confused::confused::confused:
By the way thanks for all the help.

P

Pazz

It's entirely your decision/oppinion. Depends how much you value the pigeon (and how much you want to show off).

G

GUEST_JDM

hey mate ive got the ssq hks as well mine never fluttered or the pigon noise as you guys call it untill i put my front mount on i also have hks hard piping kit as ( the rubber induction tubes absorb the noise) which makes a bit of difference. but with respect to turbo damage i wouldn't worry bout using a bov or just blocking it off maybe if you drove a gtr with a stock computer which is tuned for the bov to actually shoot the air past the air flows and not respond on gear changes. (read this in HPI ) Any way good luck

D

david

Going gettin a fmic soon so will put the ssqv back in then.
Do u have urs recurculating as well?
Nicely told me to recurculate mine as well tryed it with the standard fmic but no flutter so the ic must make the differance!

G

GUEST_JDM

hey mate na i just vent to atmos i use the gold hks ssq fin the purple round fin is even better than the standard silver tri spoke fin that also gave me more flutter. i do not get any flutter out the pod though it all comes through the ssq instead. if you know your bov well you will know that the first valve is more of a woosh kinda noise and the the second valve opens n creates the high pitch noise i lost the first purge valve noise and get a flutter instead but still the high pitch noise at full boost after installing the fmic