What's new

Picked Up My S15 Yesterday :-)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Finally collected my S15 after 2 weeks of waiting, from Jurgen at JM Imports.

The car is mint and drives really well.

Shame the weather was so rubbish for the 320 mile drive home yesterday.

Ive not taken any photos myself yet as the weather is so bad, even though Ive just given her a wash in the rain.

Here are the photos I took the day I went to view the car, and Ill get some better ones up next weekend if the weather clears up.

Hope to come to the usual Jap car events this year and meet some of you guys.

Darren

Reaction score
ooo i have seen this one its very nice and full spec r kit too, its just needing some nice alloys to set it off.

nice car.

P

Pazz

Looks a sweet motor, doesnt it have a Nismo diff? What "way" or config is it? 1.5 or 2?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the comments guys.

I have lots of plans, but am going to hold off doing anything until I understand things better.

The wheels will be changing towards the end of the year I reckon if I can get the funds together.

Looks a sweet motor, doesnt it have a Nismo diff? What "way" or config is it? 1.5 or 2?
You are going to have to excuse my poor technical knowledge, something I hope to massively improve now Ive got one of these cars.

Im not sure is the answer, is there some way I can tell?

Ive seen stuff on the web that says you could get a 1 or 1.5 or 2 Nismo LSD, so it could be anything I guess :eek:

Reaction score
Country
Did Jurgen not know ? It may have been mentioned on the auction sheet or with the last owners paperwork (if you can make any of it out).

2 way will be quite noticable id imagine and make more noise when doing slow tight turns etc. Id imagine it would be a 1 or 1.5 at most seeing as the car is pretty much standard. 1.5 and 2 way would have been used more for drifting which the car doesnt look like its done much off.

P

Pazz

It also has some Ikeya Formula rear, lower and upper support arms.

As kango says....
Drive careful
The diff will take some getting use to, especially when you have come from a FWD FTO. What I mean is, even if its 1 way, it will have positive lock on acceleration and create a live axle on the rear = drifty time.

The helical diff fitted standard to the Spec-R's never actually 100% lock. They transfer the power to the wheel with traction by behaving like an open diff to the wheel without traction. These can be better for road applications but are no good for drifting.

Or atleast, thats how I thought it worked :rolleyes:

Take it to a disused airfield or something and try drifting it round some imaginary corners lol :eek: :cool:

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Is there any way I can tell what way the diff actually is apart from by driving the car and seeing how it behaves?

Are you saying that the Nismo LSD could be a disadvantage for road use then?

Ill try and find out what way it is.

I had an LSD on my FTO so Im not a total stranger to them, but I guess your going to tell me its a very different application.

M

Matt_S

Jack the rear up with both wheels off the deck.
Handbrake off
Spin the drivers wheel clock wise (as if you were going forwards) and look at the passengers wheel
If the passengers wheel is going 'forwards' then its a locking diff (or a viscous LSD)
If it goes 'backwards' then you have a Helical (or possibly an open diff :wack: )

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Jack the rear up with both wheels off the deck.
Handbrake off
Spin the drivers wheel clock wise (as if you were going forwards) and look at the passengers wheel
If the passengers wheel is going 'forwards' then its a locking diff (or a viscous LSD)
If it goes 'backwards' then you have a Helical (or possibly an open diff :wack: )
Thanks for that mate.

Is it not a bit dangerous to move the front wheels while the rear of the car is jacked up?

Wont the car try and move off the jack?

Reaction score
Country
The LSD is on the rear mate...you got RWD now ;)

I only found out i had a Viscous LSD by doing the same (albeit moving the front wheels) on my FTO, i just assumed they all handled that great :)

M

Matt_S

PMSL @ Jez :D:D:D

Yes mate, it is VERY dangerous to move the front wheels with the rear in the air. It will indeed pull it off the jack (if you try hard enough :wack: )

As Jez says (maybe I should have said, but I thought it was straight forward enough :wack: ) rear in the air, diff on the rear axle, spin the rear wheels :thumbs:

EVERYTHING you are told about diffs and how to work them out is on rear axle mate ;)

I should also add, that when I say 'spin' I mean by hand - not the top end of third gear and dump the clutch :wack:

P

Pazz

I dont think the Nismo LSD will be a Viscous coupling aka Speed Sensitive type of differential. It will be a mechanical clutch-based differential. It will be difficult to tell whether it is 1.5 or 2 way as far I know.

I Suppose it doesnt really matter whether or not it is 1.5/2 way, they both lock the rear axle on acceleration. There is some more information on LSD's HERE

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

I dont think the Nismo LSD will be a Viscous coupling aka Speed Sensitive type of differential. It will be a mechanical clutch-based differential. It will be difficult to tell whether it is 1.5 or 2 way as far I know.

There is some more information on LSD's HERE
When I said 'or viscous LSD' I meant that the lockers and the viscous react the same to this test.
Saying that, in my S14 with a Kaaz 2 wayfoitted it feels tighter than a viscous, and has a bit of a clunk.

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Sorry Matt_S, I was half asleep when I read your post.

I read it as jack up the rear and then move the steering wheel, not the rear wheels :rotfl:

Well whatever the diff is Im going to have to get used to it :nod:

Thanks for the link HeL1x, Ill give it a read and hopefully understand things a little better :)

Im starting to feel Im going to have a VERY steep learning curve with this car :D