What's new

New UK Tax laws...

Reaction score
Country
Assuming the emissions on an S15 is above 226 g/km ? ....get ready for ?400 a year in the good old UK...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm

Why dont they just increase tax on Fuel (more than the 80% it already is) and scrap car tax altogether making it fair for everyone ?!

How can a person who may only pay ?100 a year but do 30,000+ miles be penalised less than someone paying ?400 but may only do 5000 miles and yet is polluting the environment less ? It doesnt add up! :annoyed:

I want to convert to LPG but the government makes no attempt to introduce more filling stations :rolleyes:. I just wish they would stop the eco friendly bull**** as they know people will have to pay and its another way of reaping more of peoples hard earned money

/end rant

Reaction score
the worry about going LPG now,..... is knowing that taxes were fixed on it for 3 years, but, that ran out last year...............

Which kinda leaves things in limbo, because it'll cost roughly 2k to convert to LPG, then there's nothing back in writing saying that taxes will be held on it. So, once they realise that a few more people have converted, they'll just do exactly the same as petrol, and whack the 80% tax on it!

Sucks, so bad! :(

P

Pazz

Where did you get the band G 226g/km C02 reading from? Or do they put all imports under that band? Would be interesting to know how they go about banding imported cars.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You're all forgetting that if your car was registered as 'PLG' and petrol/diesel wasn't specified, the car doesn't fall under those emissions bands. Most of us in the UK have had this. Under the existing scheme, the an S15 registered this way falls under the straight ?180 level, as it doesn't have a band.

But, yes, if it was registered with the g/km figure, you will have a ?100 a year increase over what you are now paying.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
There is nothing on my V5, its noted at PLG, in the past that has keep my tax away from being assigned a letter (A-G or whatever it is), is the plan now to have all cars, even older models fall into a letter bracket? Or just post 2001 models?

:edit: To slow :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Think mine has a g/km number but not sure. Yours came from Motormall too Topper - does yours? (edit...er no you said! :wack: )...

I normally pay ?180 for ref

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My car didnt come from Motormall :no:, and no it doesnt have an emmisions rating noted on my V5, just PLG.

Reaction score
How do y tell the DVLA registration method?

(p.s. thought it was motormall as these were the guys that handled Newera when I got mine)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yes, both.

The new rules are in full here. They apply to vehicles registered after March 2001 and will not apply until APRIL 2009. If the car was registered Private/Light Goods' (TC11), they fall under the pre-March 2001 prices. The new bands replace the TC48 bands. A few unlucky people on here have been hit by these bands :(

You can get a better idea of the existing banding from here.

Specific details about THIS year's costings are here.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
But would it be registered new? I.e. would a used import still be affected?

Roland - I think Motormall were the people that i had a years warrenty with :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yes. Like I said, one or two on here have been hit with the full grading. Here's an example. 1999 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Country
My V5 has a g/km figure. Makes no difference. Its how the car was registered with the DVLA that matters.
Nicely, any chance you could PM me details on how this is done ? Mine is due to be registered beginning of next month, would be great to fall under the ?180 bracket :)

Cheers

Reaction score
i don't think it's something you can arrange.... it's just how the operative at the DVLA register the car... :)