What's new

New UK Tax laws...

Reaction score
Country
But surely there must be a way of influencing the way they register it ;) ?

Cant be down to just pot luck ?

Reaction score
i'd assume it's a **** up on someone's part,.... but i don't know how, why, or who..... go threaten to burn houses down???? lol :)

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Looks like Im going to be one of the poor buggers paying ?400 next year :(

As Jez stated in his original post this system is not fair, it should be done on how much you drive around too.

Not alot I can do about it though sadly...

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
Why do you think you will be paying ?400? Whats on your V5?
C02 = 242 G/KM

Plus if I go onto the DVLA website and do a vehicle enquiry it says that 12 months tax will cost me ?400, even though its due August this year.

I didnt think Id have to pay that until next year though?

Reaction score
Country
On the BBC link it states the ?400 for 2008-2009 which i assume comes into effect straight after the budget ?

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
I thought that 1st year inflated payment thing was just on newly registered cars.

Am I wrong about that?
Any car newly registered from 2010 will be paying ?950 for the first year and then ?455 a year thereafter.

Looks like by 2010 Ill be paying ?455 a year!

Im so jealous of those paying only ?180.

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You guys are approaching this from the wrong angle. Your S15 was registered incorrectly if it falls under one of the 2001-> bandings. This is a government scam and they will not point out that its wrong because they'll get shed loads more money off you! However, once its done - its done.

You have to ensure that 'Private/Light Goods' is given as the 'Taxation class of vehicle' on the registration form. DO NOT say 'petrol'! And whilst completing the registration, write 'Silvia Spec R' not just 'Silvia'! :p

Darren_S15

Club Event Orgainser
Reaction score
Country
You guys are approaching this from the wrong angle. Your S15 was registered incorrectly if it falls under one of the 2001-> bandings. This is a government scam and they will not point out that its wrong because they'll get shed loads more money off you! However, once its done - its done.

You have to ensure that 'Private/Light Goods' is given as the 'Taxation class of vehicle' on the registration form. DO NOT say 'petrol'! And whilst completing the registration, write 'Silvia Spec R' not just 'Silvia'! :p
So are you saying I should not be paying the ?400 tax on my car?

I thought that was correct and some of you guys just got luckly not having to pay so much?

If my tax band is wrong Im tempted to try and get it changed...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
All I can tell you is that that's how many of the bigger importers register their imports and they are all classed under the PLG bandings.

Reaction score
Country
So the S15 CAN be registered as a pre 01/03/2001 PLG car ? I thought it went by date of registration in the Uk not date of manufacture ?

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

Who knows!

LOL, I love this site.

And the more and more I read about the cars and imports in general, its seem its more and more all down to luck and how clued up (or not) the person actually registering the car with DVLA was :)

Reaction score
Country
Damn i hate government agencies, if they were private companies most staff would be sacked for being completely incompetent !!

P

Pazz

So the S15 CAN be registered as a pre 01/03/2001 PLG car ? I thought it went by date of registration in the Uk not date of manufacture ?
The S15 cannot be registered as a pre march 2001 car - assuming it was registered in the UK after this date. It does indeed go by the UK date of registration.

HOWEVER, it looks like quite a few have been registered incorrectly by the DVLA. And been labelled as the PLG classification of taxation. Which from what I gather is basically the DVLA's response of "What the hell is this car, lets just use the old rules"

M

Matt_S

The S15 cannot be registered as a pre march 2001 car - assuming it was registered in the UK after this date. It does indeed go by the UK date of registration.

HOWEVER, it looks like quite a few have been registered incorrectly by the DVLA. And been labelled as the PLG classification of taxation. Which from what I gather is basically the DVLA's response of "What the hell is this car, lets just use the old rules"
I bet I know of at least ONE S15 thats registered in the UK pre 2001 ;)
(Remember that S15 from Birmingham? ;) )

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It cannot have a registration date BEFORE when its first registered in the UK. HOWEVER (and this is where the entire UK car registration system completely breaks down), it is totally unreasonable to expect a car MANUFACTURED in 1999 or 2000 to conform with 2001/2006 emissions standards and be taxed according to them. If a car manufactured in those years is subject to higher emissions taxation, why aren't all the pre-2001 crates which are benching out far worse? Oh, that's right, they were REGISTERED before 2001, so that makes it alright, even though the S15 falls into exactly the same category. :rolleyes:

If an S15 was expected to conform to 2001 emissions standards, why are there no model reports beyond 2000? Because the 2001, 2002 models require too much work to make them conform to the 2001 emissions standards to make commissioning a report a viable prospect. If it was, do you not think an importer wouldn't have done it? There's big bucks in S15s these days... 1999 and 2000 S15s aren't subject to this more rigorous testing, so why should they be taxed according to it?.

As far as I'm concerned, if the big importers are registering imports as PLG and this is being accepted, its legal.

Too much importance is given to the date of registration rather than manufacture. Besides this emissions confusion, there are people out there who think they have 2001, 2002 S14as, yet the last ones made for the UK were in December 1999. Cars gain value for being registered later, yet they could have been sat in a field rusting for a year or two before being registered...