What's new

engine

A

ashcallaghan

hi everyone i was wondering if it would be worth upgrading my engine to a skyline gtr engine. I would just like to know what people think or have done it to theirs.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dont know if its something i would do as it may upset the balance of the car, however the sound :smitten: would be worth it alone :D

What engine is it? RB25 or RB26?
Do you know the weight of the engine compared to the SR20?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
What does a storker kits offer the engine? I know the capacity is increased and therefore it can provide more power with supporting mods?

Would it have any effect on increasing strength? Or would a better idea be to just beef up the pistons etc?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Well you can fit better (stronger) internal parts and this is always a good idea, but the main reason for the stroker is more torque and power. You get more torque out of a 6 cylinder like the RB series, but IMO it is easier to modify an engine that is fitted, than try to modify a car to fit a different engine. I have been there are done that, never again. That's why I bought the 200SX (Silvia). Easy to modify for extra power.

2OOsxy

There's a few beasts over here with different engines - pretty common place to chop and change. Depends on what you are trying to achieve with the car ....

Reaction score
Had a mate with an S13 and a RB20 fitted, the biggest thing was the front end weight. Even with bigger brakes(a must) and stiffer coilovers the car still felt unbalanced and would dive into corners with vigor:|:|.

Great in a straight line or if you want a dyno queen:D

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah, I had a mate with a 180sx with a rb25 in it. Absolute rocket ship, but a complete PITA as far as getting it all to fit even after someone else did most of the hard work.

Reaction score
The nice thing about SR20 powered cars is their power to weight, why muck with something that is great to start with. How many RB powered cars do you see in drift comps.

G

gunner93

To fit a straight six in for better balance, the RB has to intrude into the front cabin area which requires a fire wall cut. The car will end up heavier thats for sure. :nod:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
stroker kit is all forged so strengthened internals :thumbs:. The RB series engines will bolt straight in on the SR mounts so no hassle there. The GTR has a RB26. These are a PITA to wire due to the twin turbo setup & the RB"^ tends to **** big ends quite a bit I've heard:rolleyes:. The RB25 seems to be a far simpler transplat & is highly tuneable(sp?) Also as said you have weight & handling issues... can you say understeer??? The sound is sweet but remember the S15 is designed as a beautifully balanced handling car which is why it is dominating the D1 drift series :nod:, Why upset the whole car? Stroker is the way to go. keep the balance, get more torque, more power & a strengthened engine to boot

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If your already at around 300+hp and reaching the potential of your turbo, surely fitting a stocker kit would require a bigger turbo too? So its not just a case of fitting a stocker kit.

A stock engine, with a strocker kit and nothing else, i guess there would be an increase in performance, to the same extent as fitting an RB25 say with the T28bb?

Reaction score
a bigger turbo would be a must with the 2.4kit but the 2.2kit would get the max out of the likes of the hks gt-rs.

G

gunner93

If it anything unmistakable about the RBs are the straight 6 sound. I love it! :smitten:

M

Matt_S

I know of a 2.2L tomei engine running a HKS T04Z.
THat turbo with the 2.4 would be mental :thumbs: