What's new

Glass headlights, where do they come from?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I wouldn't think that too many manufactures make their headlights in glass any more, except for a prototype or something with round headlights (spotlights included)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, but what a butt ache to have to sort the hazing on the inside of the plastic! I'd kill for some toughened glass alternatives.

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
maybe I am lucky, I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe you could find someone to custom make some glass lenses (have no idea how hard that would be or what it would cost)

2OOsxy

maybe I am lucky, I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe you could find someone to custom make some glass lenses (have no idea how hard that would be or what it would cost)
me either - but i have been careful to not overdo the bulbs (ie. go over the manu recommendation) as that helps the yellow haze, and I don't polish them with anything harsh which can add to the white hazing. Plus my car is garaged to keep it out of the elements.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've had HIDs in mine pretty much since I got it three years ago. HID bulbs are only 35W and generate less heat than halogen bulbs, but I get just as much hazing. :(

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I've had HIDs in mine pretty much since I got it three years ago. HID bulbs are only 35W and generate less heat than halogen bulbs, but I get just as much hazing. :(
So did you have normal bulbs in before and did the HID conversion? If so did you notice any improvement in light output? I am still wondering if it is worth doing the HID conversion to my car.

N

ninjlao

Mine is an autech but mine are made of plastic, You can stop the hazing in your headlights though.

I have all of my cars with plastic lenses clearcoated. That way they wont haze over.
Also if your headlight is hazed over, its a pretty easy fix. all you have to do is get fine grit sandpaper and wet sand it, you will see that the haziness will just go away, thats just a quick fix though. You should clear it after that, just a fine layer is good. Ive had a supra tt and it started hazing, and even after I sanded it down it hazed back over within a few months, but then after that I sanded it down and then cleared it, and it never hazed over again.

Anyways from this thread alone can make an assumption that Nissan does not make glass headlights, and I will look into making them but Im sure they would be expensive. Like I said though I will check into it.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I can vouch for Nicelys HID's, i have a kit awaiting fitting (will get to it eventually), but comparing my stock lights to Nicelys, his are about the same as my high beam!

Reaction score
i've got factory HID's and mine are hazed.....

agreed with topper... HID's are well worth the cost. Went for a backroad drive with a mate the other week, he only had normal bulbs, i was kinda scared of how little what actually visable due to pants lighting!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
yeah, the standard headlights are crap!!! Even my old 1990 Toyota Hilux had better headlights. Looks like I will be investing in some HID's

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I got a reply from Autech_NZ who said that his headlights are plastic on his Autech.

So noone has ever seen glassheadlights and I couldn't find any type of S15 with them fitted.

Is this myth busted? :wack:

S

sillbeers15

Talking about custom made S15 headlights, <http://www.clearcorners.com>
provides the custom services to do LED conversion on S15 headlights for USD$1300 and conversion for side markers are also available.

Any folks with the experience in LED headlight conversion?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've got LED tail lights and LED bulbs in the entire car. Been thinking of trying to fit an LED board into the front sidelights...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country