What's new

Whats allowed on the road in your country?

Reaction score
Top work - looks great.:thumbs:
Stupid question but is this car for track only or both street and track??? ... only ask, cos in Australia the police would drill you a new one for some of those mods:( so interesting to see what's allowed in different countries!
Well every state in Australia has different rules - each state has it's own licencing system, so the rules vary ... even though they have just developed a National Code of Practice, but application varies. It also varies depending upon the town you live in (ie. some places are tougher, or stick to the rules without flexibility).

So for example on this awesome beast of a car...the external pull handles below the windscreen would be defected, likely also that the internal fire cables would be too. The rims as well would go in some places...the drift button on the park brake, the harnesses, roll bar, wheel spacers would be defected as well on the road. But like I said it depends on who checks your car.

You should see the wad of permits I carry for mine ... but not all "big spec" cars as you put it are street legal, so who knows if the Aus cars you are referring to are legal street machines, lucky with permits, or running the gauntlet :p
Really interested to know whats it like around the world for others?

My perception in the UK is that - if you can afford the insurance and its passes an MOT (which a race car with mirrors, lights etc, normally can) then your legal.

I understand Germany is getting better nowadays.

What are the permits you can get in AUS?

:)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think your right about the UK, as long as it passes and MOT and is insured and taxed, you can drive it on the road.

P

Pazz

There is the SVA for custom-built bikes/cars in the UK. Required when doing engine conversions and builds like caterhams or V8 bikes etc.

Reaction score
Yeh your right. Think its along the same lines, i.e. get an engineer to say you have done a decent, safe job

Reaction score
Unfortunatly in Aus there is no uniformity in motor vehicle regulations from one State to the next so what can pass in one state can see it defected in the next. The states that are the most stringent are the most populated/high car ownership(NSW, Victoria). To survive the wrath of the law enforcement officers, an engineering certificate is advisable, but it is not a complete immunity, and can cost anything from $700 to $1200 depending on mods, so as to avoid the dreaded defect notice and having to basically return your car back to stock to clear it with the relevent authorities.:|

The abnormality is someone can drive an old run down car in poor mechanical condition and not be harrased but drive a performance modified car with better than stock parts and you will get reemed by the powers that be:wack:

Reaction score
That is :wack:!

Kinda the same the all over though. Except Japan cos of the spendy yearly test

Reaction score
The one thats the reason we all get cool exports. You know the like ?1000 MOT

sorry dunno what its called

2OOsxy

Yeah it's a strange place here that although you are in the same country - moving a car between states is effectively like importing. So for example I have moved around a lot for work and lived and worked in each state ... for each move the vehicles need to be reregistered. When I moved from Vic to WA I had to ensure the cars were basically stock to go over the pits and be registered here.

The hardest place I have lived out of all of them was actually outback WA - even now with the car street legal I would not expect to get from one side of town to the other without being stopped and stickered. Heck I used to be stopped three times a week for "random" vehicle inspections!

I am about to get a full engineering certificate (Auss they're +$2000 over here :() but the book I carry around has all the vehicle measurements, plus permits for things like FMIC, braided lines, exhaust, bov, manifold, engine changeover and a heap of others.

There are so many rules over here for mods that you have to weave through:
Generally if you pulled up they are looking for (including but not limited to):
  • lowering (clearance off gound must be >100mm, plus headlights can't be less than 55cm from the ground, equal lowering only and much more)
  • exhaust (too loud and too big)
  • rims (too wide, too big, mismatched sizes)
  • stereo too loud
  • neons showing
  • emissions too much
  • carbon fibre bonnets on younger cars
  • GT wings
  • metal pedals (non factory)
  • computer hand controls in the car can cause grief
  • sharp or protruding edges on the dash (ie. some gauges)
  • noisy BOV
  • number plate position
  • seatbelts (condition, no harnesses)
  • suspension (too hard, too soft, too low)
  • drift button handbrake
then if you do get stickered and have to go over the pits they will look for a whole lot more!

2OOsxy

Nah the car had no knickers back then... the only lingerie in the car was the stuff I was wearing, and no don't even think about going there.... :p

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
now where is that "this thread is useless with out pics smiley" :rotfl:

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
NZ requirements are a little different too - any mods which increase power require low volume vehicle certification (or lvv cert as we tend to call them). Changes in overall wheel diameter and adjustable suspension also require a cert. (i.e adding/upgrading a turbo - you won't get done for a new exhaust, to my knowledge.)

New laws are being put in place about dB level for the exhaust - can't recall what exactly it is though.

The advantage of the cert system is you can see some pretty decent builds - engine swaps, bigger turbos etc etc - whereas in some places in Aus you'd get nailed for taking it that far from factory, as I understand it.

The disadvantage is it's very costly, and there aren't many certifiers around - so it can take time. Also our six-monthly Warrant Of Fitness inspections won't be passed without a cert if you have any of the above mods. (no WOF means you aren't road legal, and can even be ticketed for parking on the side of the road by your own property.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Woh! Thats a lot of effort! So if you add 1 mod, e.g. a new ECU or turbo. Do you have to go and get new cert/s?

Reaction score
Website
www.hoodoo.co.nz
Country
Woh! Thats a lot of effort! So if you add 1 mod, e.g. a new ECU or turbo. Do you have to go and get new cert/s?
That's correct - basically people do a bunch of work on the car all at once / keep it garaged, then get all the mods certed at once. Once it's certed for something you don't need to do it again though - if it's an N/A car and you get it turboed, then certed for a turbo - you can change to a bigger turbo and it's no big deal. (Cert plate only has so much room for things on it.)

Reaction score
Oh ok cool. That's a bit simpler then. So changing ancillaries like injectors, ECU, intakes etc would be ok without getting certs re-done :)